Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

I just installed some heat pumps, need help with wiring thermostats

Old 07-15-14, 05:47 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My duplex had just electric furnaces on each side, I installed a couple ducted heat pumps but I'm confused about the wiring. Both thermostats are Honeywell, first is an RTH7600D and the other other is a TH8320U. Here is my heat pump manual's directions and photos of my thermostats' wiring. I replaced the existing 5 wire with this 7 wire and with the old wiring, both thermostats used jumpers but I see no need to use those anymore according to the instructions from my heat pump? I just want to make sure I do it right. I started with the 7600D and the heat pump says to wire to w2 but I don't see w2 on the heat pump side of the labeling, does that mean I use Aux? If I could get some help with how to wire each I'd appreciate it! The wiring between the air handler and condenser is done, I'm only wanting to confirm the correct wiring on the thermostats. Thanks a bunch!

Name:  hvac1.jpg
Views: 14983
Size:  36.2 KBName:  hvac2.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  28.2 KBName:  hvac3.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  25.7 KB

Old 07-15-14, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Yes W2 is Aux on your new thermostats.

Remember to configure function 170 to 7 and 190 to 1 on your new stats.

Old 07-15-14, 09:19 PM
S
awesome! I just wanted to make sure first. I also appreciate the tip on the settings, I didn't even think about that. These thermostats are being re-used from my old systems so they were setup for those, not heat pumps. Thank you

Old 07-17-14, 06:44 AM
S
btw, I did have to still use that jumper according to the Honeywell install menu. Everything is complete, except I'm trying to find an HVAC guy to look over everything I did and sweat the joints but it seems nobody wants to touch a self install. It seems the $75/hr isn't enough for them to waste their time for a 3-4 hour (guessing it'll take that long to do the sweating, purging/initial start ups etc on the 2 heat pumps) job which really sucks. They all tell me how bad of idea it was to purchase equipment online. I paid $2900 for 2 complete heat pump setups that meet my state's efficiency rating to qualify for the rebate so I think I did just fine!

ugh, contractors!

Old 07-17-14, 11:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The R to Rc jumper is required.
An Aux to E jumper is required if you do not have a wire for each.

No Y jumper is required.

Companies make money on equipment replacement not the labor to install a unit that someone buys for them self.

Warranty repairs could make them actually lose money on a job like that.

If you keep looking you will find someone hungry enough to take that gamble. They may regret it later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: