Thermostat Location Heating Issue

Old 07-20-14, 07:19 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Location Heating Issue

I have a 2 story house with two furnace units, and my upstairs thermostat is in the hallway at the top of the stairs. The air funnels up that stairway like a chimney, which isn't a big issue in the summer as much as it is in the winter. If someone is cooking in the kitchen, you can smell the food better at the top of the stairs than you can in the kitchen, because of the air flow.

I have 3 bedrooms upstairs, and if I close the doors, the rooms freeze while the hallway stays warm from the heat funneling up from downstairs. It thinks the entire upstairs is warm enough so it won't run. I have to jack up the thermostat to like 80 degrees to get it to turn on and heat up the bedrooms, but then it will run forever because the thermostat is primarily getting its heat from downstairs when the upstairs doors are closed. So, we end up getting too hot after a while and have to get back up and turn the thermostat back down again. Then the whole cycle repeats itself.

What is a solution for this? The opposite side of the wall from where the thermostat is, is my bedroom. Could I punch a hole in the bedroom side, and flip the thermostat around and mount it in the bedroom so it's detecting the temperature in our room instead of the hallway? Is that difficult or even smart to do? Is there some other way to keep an even temperature? Or, do I have something else broken and the air shouldn't be funneling up the stairs like that?

We're on a single income right now, so money is tight, so I'd prefer a less expensive fix, but I'd like to hear all of the options. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-20-14, 08:01 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
What you propose is actually a very good idea. The only possible downside is if you have multiple bedrooms on this system and they have wildly different heat losses. Even if the latter is true you CAN get thermostats that have the ability to connect multiple remote temperature sensors and then average the temperature to all rooms.

One other thing...unless the bedrooms all have return air ducts this might not work as well. Any discharge registers into the hallway along with any return air grilles should probably be throttled to a near closed position, but only IF the bedrooms have return ducts. Re-routing return air ducts is usually a DIY job if you have attic access.

Old 07-20-14, 08:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
It would probably look cleaner if you installed a stat that accepts a remote sensor and install the remote sensor on the other side of the wall.

If you decide to move your existing stat a 4 by 4 blank wall plate might cover the old holes.

Old 07-20-14, 08:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I've got to learn to type faster.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: