help with wiring new thermostat please

Old 07-22-14, 01:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help with wiring new thermostat please

Old thermostat went dead it was a white rodgers 1F90-37. I installed a new thermostat Hunter 44378. Now the thermostat will not shut off and sometimes it reaches the set temp and sometimes not, I can shut it off manually at the thermostat though. Breaker was off before I did everything. I don't know what type of system I have but I have a gas furnace carrier 93 and an outside a/c unit electric. I have pics of the wiring from the furnace, wiring to new thermostat. I did not take a pic of the wiring to the old thermostat but I wrote it down. Any help would be appreciated. I have a new filter and installed a new ignitor because the furnace was throwing a code. I will post the pics next.

Last edited by sick79monte; 07-22-14 at 01:25 PM. Reason: a word was not right
Old 07-22-14, 01:29 PM
S
Here are the pics.
Hope they work.

Last edited by sick79monte; 07-22-14 at 01:31 PM. Reason: pics didn't work
Old 07-22-14, 01:45 PM
S
Old thermostat wiring
New thermostat wiring

Wiring at furnace

Old 07-22-14, 08:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
This furnace is incorrectly wired. The red and yellow wires on Y1 should be at the Y/Y2 terminal.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I see that the Blue Common wire is not connected but your white wire label is covering terminals an I cannot see if this stat requires a common wire.

What does this note mean? I see no black wire. A picture of the stat terminals in your manual or another picture of your stat with the white wire's label removed would be of assistance.

Last edited by Houston204; 07-22-14 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 02:45 PM
S
Ok should I flip the yellow wires to the Y/Y2 terminal then? This is how it was wired when we bought the house. Under the white wire, the next terminal does not have a letter, does that help? And as far as the note, I wish I would have taken a pic, I'm not sure really what the note means, I think I meant the blue wire went to the black terminal on the old stat. I've never done this before but I didn't think it would be difficult. I appreciate all the help anyone can give me. Here are the pics, hope this helps.

Thermostat directions, I don't know which wire system I have?

Last edited by Houston204; 07-23-14 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 06:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see nothing in your wiring to connect your problem with your new thermostat installation.

I would unwire the blue 24 volt common wire from the stat at the furnace, since the stat will not require common, and move the yellow and red wire from Y1 to Y/Y2 but this is not going to help your system reach setpoint and cycle off.

I would measure the temperature on both sides of the evaporator coil with a digital thermometer when the system is running in cool mode. You want ~ 18 to 20 degree drop in temperature. (So 15 or 28 would indicate a problem.)

The air temperature before the evaporator coil should not be much higher than the air temperature entering the return air grill.

Grab the small copper pipe connected to your evaporator coil. If it practically burns your hand the outdoor unit requires cleaning. (The condenser coil outside should be rinsed annually anyway)

Old 07-23-14, 08:08 PM
S
Ok I think you might be on to something here. This is weird I have been controlling it manually by myself because I feared of burning something out. So I decided to leave it run and just turn the set temp down 1 degree. Well it took about an hour to reach the temp but it did turn off. So I tried it again but this time it did not shut off it kept running. I never even thought of maintaining it, I am a car guy I know that's no excuse but I'm using it anyway lol. Anyways I will rinse the condensor coil since I have never done it yet (been and do the other stuff you mentioned and I will let you know how it goes.

Old 07-23-14, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can get a digital "meat" thermometer from walmart for ~$12.

My first car was a 79 Monte Carlo.

Old 07-24-14, 10:23 AM
S
Cool thanks I'm going to get it today! I love my monte even though it's just in primer so far. :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: