Thermostat wiring bad

Old 08-08-14, 10:42 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat wiring bad

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum. I'm in search of advice on what to do with bad wiring to the thermostat.

It's a 4-wire system and I've confirmed through jumping at the furnace that the wires to the thermostat upstairs are partially bad. The green and white wires are bad. So I'm looking at wireless thermostats, but it's difficult to search for options without getting all of the thermostats that you can connect to wirelessly, vs those that connect back to the furnace room wireless.

The problem is that running new wires upstairs to the current thermostat location is going to be very difficult and expensive. I'd rather replace the thermostat with one that communicates wirelessly to a unit in the furnace room that is wired to the furnace with nice new wires.

Venstar seems to have one, called Venstar Wireless Residential Thermostat Combo - T1100RF / REC on Amazon. But I'm looking for other options. Possibly options that combine new technologies like those in Nest units, with the wireless comms to the furnace.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.
Luke

Old 08-08-14, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The Honeywell Prestige IAQ only requires 2 wires to the thermostat and is the best thermostat in the market today in my opinion.

It supports wired duct sensors, wireless indoor and outdoor sensors, a humidifier and dehumidification. A remote control that senses temperature is also available.
With an optional internet gateway it can email your phone when a problem occurs with your system. You can also control the unit from a smart phone if you get the gateway.

The newer model has a low profile square stat and has runtime data logging.
If I cover my fireplace in the summer time my cooling unit runs 2 1/2 hours less per day.

Old 08-08-14, 12:13 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I see that one of the two wires it requires is Common, which I don't have. I could hotwire another wire to common inside the furnace and all the way back to the stat location on the wall, I guess, but that's usually recommended is it? Maybe that doesn't matter. Just have to find another wire that works all the way through, until it stops working. The wiring to the stat is in rough shape.

Old 08-08-14, 01:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: