Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Trane XV95 + XL16i Heat Pump - Honeywell VisionPro IAQ to Honeywell Lyric Wiring

Trane XV95 + XL16i Heat Pump - Honeywell VisionPro IAQ to Honeywell Lyric Wiring

Old 08-10-14, 10:46 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Okay, so at the time I had my Trane system installed the Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ was suppose to be the best for controlling my system.

Today there have been a lot of technology advancements in Thermostats.

I've wanted to upgrade to the Nest since it came out but never pulled the trigger.. The other day I saw that Honeywell had come out with a Nest-like thermostat the Lyric.

Since I trust Honeywell more than I trust the Nest being that Honeywell has been manufacturing Thermostat's for many decades, I went ahead and bought one.

I went to install it and found that the VisionPro IAQ has a module installed in the furnace that the furnace terminals connect to and only 3 wires that communicate with the Vision Pro IAQ thermostat. All the extra wires are still there, they just don't connect to anything between the module and the thermostat..

Okay so, The setup APP for the Lyric can't help with this type of connection, because it only works with typical connections where all the 6-8 wires connect directly from the furnace tot he thermostat...

No problem, I should just be able to put Y on Y, R on R, etc... Except a couple problems... There is an Orange wire on the furnace that is wire nutted to another orange wire instead of connected to the "O" terminal on the furnace.. Is that normal?

On the module it says W1 is O/B, so is W1 always the same as O/B? What about AUX? What exactly does AUX mean?

I can take and post pictures if of the module, the furnace motherboard and the thermostat if that will help..

Thanks,

-TheChad

Old 08-10-14, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
There is an Orange wire on the furnace that is wire nutted to another orange wire instead of connected to the "O" terminal on the furnace.. Is that normal?
That orange wire controls the reversing valve in the compressor unit. The O connection on the board is just a splice point to combine the two wires. Wire nutting the two orange wires is ok.

What do you have to do.... submit a special request to Honeywell for wiring diagrams and programming.

Old 08-10-14, 11:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
It seems that the Lyric has the same nonexistent installation instructions as the Nest.

Nest and Lyric will not see the HVAC contractors as willing to sell their products until they no longer require you to call tech support for simple configuration questions.

If you actually have an installation manual with that thermostat post the manual number on the bottom of the first or last page. If not I recommend calling the Honeywell support line to ask them the best way to wire and configure your dual fuel system and address the BK terminal requirement to get the correct airflow when the XL16i heat pump is used.

Old 08-10-14, 09:34 PM
T
Pictures Attached... I took a picture of the terminal block on the Module installed inside the furnace, I took a picture of the terminal block on the furnace motherboard and I took a picture of the Orange wire's twisted together.

The Lyric has the following terminal's to connect to...

(Left Side)
L
C
W2 (Aux)
W (O/B)
U1(Universal Hum,
U2 DeHum, Vent)

(1 Wire / 2 Wire) Switch

(Right Side)
K
G
Y2
Y
R (Power)
Rc (Power)

(R / R & RC) Switch

So:

Black --> BK (On Furnace Board) --> ?? On Lyric
Red --> R (On Furnace Board) --> R on Lyric (Switch Set to R)
Green -->G (On Furnace Board) --> G on Lyric
Yellow -->Y (On Furnace Board) --> Y on Lyric
Blue --> B/C (On Furnace Board) --> C?? on Lyric
White --> W1 (On Furnace Board) --> W2 (Aux) on Lyric
Brown --> W3 (On Furnace Board) --> ?? on Lyric
Orange --> O?? (On Furnace Board) --> W (O/B) on Lyric

If that's not right, please correct anything that's wrong...

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Attached Images    
Old 08-10-14, 10:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wiring is doable but will this thermostat support dual fuel? Does it support an outdoor sensor?

Black --> BK (On Furnace Board) --> Y2 On Lyric
Red --> R (On Furnace Board) --> R on Lyric (Switch Set to R)
Green -->G (On Furnace Board) --> G on Lyric
Yellow -->Y (On Furnace Board) --> Y on Lyric
Blue --> B/C (On Furnace Board) --> C on Lyric
White --> W1 (On Furnace Board) --> W2 (Aux) on Lyric
Brown --> W3 (On Furnace Board) --> not supported on Lyric( jumper W1 to W2 on the furnace)
Orange --> O?? (On Furnace Board) --> (O/B) on Lyric

Your new stat will wire up like the TCON803 but we do not want to run gas heat while we also run the heat pump. Dual Fuel or heat pump with fossil fuel backup needs to be offered in the configuration menu.
The Honeywell Prestige IAQ would have been a better choice for your application.

Old 08-11-14, 04:59 AM
T
I will call Homeywell today to make sure it supports dual fuel...

As for the Outdoor sensor, I don't think it does support that, but I don't need that with the Lyric because it connects to the internet and downloads the weather/temp from the Internet..

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Old 08-11-14, 10:16 AM
T
I got this information from Honeywell.. They said they do not have a wiring diagram, but said this was the information for the connections....

The thermostat has 12 terminals in total.

R = Power to Heat(Hot)

RC = Power to Cool(May have jumper)

W = Stage 1 of heat. O/B = Heat pump changeover valve.

W2 = Stage 2 of heat. AUX/E = Back up heat for heat pump.

Y = Stage 1 of cool.

Y2 = Stage 2 of cool.

G = Fan

U1 = Universal terminal 1

U2 = Universal terminal 2

K = Wire saver

L = System monitor

C = Common (24Vac)

-TheChad

Old 08-11-14, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any mention of dual fuel and outdoor sensor support?

With an outdoor sensor you would have the ability to lockout a heat pump and heat with gas when it hits freezing temperatures outside. Without dual fuel and outdoor sensor support you were better off with the old thermostat.

Old 08-11-14, 12:49 PM
T
The Lyric supports 2 Cool & 3 Heat circuits. I didn't ask about outdoor temp sensor.... But it downloads the weather from the Internet, so why couldn't it use that information to lock out the heat pump?

AUX/E = Backup heat for heat pump..

-TheChad

Old 08-11-14, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
But it downloads the weather from the Internet, so why couldn't it use that information to lock out the heat pump?
It can use that information but it's nowhere near as accurate as a local sensor.

Old 08-11-14, 08:22 PM
T
Originally Posted by PJmax
It can use that information but it's nowhere near as accurate as a local sensor.
Oh, you mean like the outside temp sensor that is currently connected to my Vision Pro IAQ, that's off by at least 3-degrees..

Accu Weather is close enough..

-TheChad

Old 08-11-14, 09:06 PM
T
Originally Posted by Houston204
Any mention of dual fuel and outdoor sensor support?

With an outdoor sensor you would have the ability to lockout a heat pump and heat with gas when it hits freezing temperatures outside. Without dual fuel and outdoor sensor support you were better off with the old thermostat.
As mentioned, the lyric supports 2 stages of cooling and 3 stages of heating...

I also received this reply from Honeywell...

Original question:
Does the Lyric have a Temp lockout for a heat pump, where you can set it to use backup heat (furnace) if the outside temp is below a certain temp?

Reply:
Hi Chad- Yes, when setup as a heat pump and electric backup, you do have the option to have a temp lockout with the Lyric.

-TheChad

Old 08-11-14, 09:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You do not have electric backup heat. You have gas backup heat. Did you ask them about dual fuel support?

Did you see dual fuel as an option when you configured the thermostat?
Did you see the ability to lockout the heat pump at a configurable setpoint like your Honeywell IAQ?

If you know the outdoor sensor is off by 3 degrees it would be easy to offset the setpoint that you want to lockout the heat pump.

If your new thermostat runs the gas heat and heat pump simultaneously it can trip the heat pump on high head pressure. Have you tried the thermostat with a 5 degree heating demand? Does it lockout heat pump and only run gas heat?

Do you ever drop internet connection when heat is required? This could eliminate the ability to rely on Accu Weather.

I hope that your new thermostat does not damage your outdoor unit. It supports one less stage of heat. I hope that is the only shortcoming with your new stat.

Old 08-14-14, 06:48 AM
T
Originally Posted by Houston204
You do not have electric backup heat. You have gas backup heat. Did you ask them about dual fuel support?

Did you see dual fuel as an option when you configured the thermostat?
Did you see the ability to lockout the heat pump at a configurable setpoint like your Honeywell IAQ?

If you know the outdoor sensor is off by 3 degrees it would be easy to offset the setpoint that you want to lockout the heat pump.

If your new thermostat runs the gas heat and heat pump simultaneously it can trip the heat pump on high head pressure. Have you tried the thermostat with a 5 degree heating demand? Does it lockout heat pump and only run gas heat?

Do you ever drop internet connection when heat is required? This could eliminate the ability to rely on Accu Weather.

I hope that your new thermostat does not damage your outdoor unit. It supports one less stage of heat. I hope that is the only shortcoming with your new stat.
Okay,

I ended up having a professional HVAC installer install the Lyric..

Now that I have been using it for a couple of days and run threw the setup, I can better answer your questions to me...

YES, the Lyric has Dual Fuel support, You select gas furnace under backup heat section in the setup.

YES, the Lyric has a heat pump lockout, you select what temp you want it to lock out the heat pump, it also has timed lockout so if the heat pump runs for how ever long you set it for and does not reach the set point, it shuts down the heat pump and fires the furnace. It also has a temperature backup heat droop setting that can be set in 1 degree increments, so it will fire the furnace if it needs to recover more that X number of degrees....

So the ONLY thing it's missing that I can find at this point, is that backup heat (furnace) only has one call (stage). But I believe the furnace manages the staging?

So what do you reccemond setting the temp lockout to? 30 degrees? What about the time out? If it can't recover in 20 minutes? What about the droop setting? 3-Degrees? 5?

Also, How can I check/test to assure that everything is staging properly?

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Last edited by ThaChad; 08-14-14 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-24-15, 04:08 PM
L
Hello,

I was wondering with the Lyric, does the aux heat kick on when the heat pump is in defrost mode?

Thank you!

Old 01-24-15, 05:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The indoor thermostat does not control aux heat for defrost mode.
The defrost timer in the outdoor unit controls this function in defrost mode.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: