New style with return/suppy sensors
2 stage A/C - to be determined

Other possible extras
Red link
Humidifier
Wired outdoor sensor
Zoned baseboard heat control

Wall wires
HRV - 6 wire to EIM (only need 4... or 2)
IAQ - 8 wire to EIM (only need 2)
Sensors - 2 wires each to EIM
Outdoors - 4 wire to EIM

I know I am overkill on my wires, at the time I was not sure what thermo I was getting so I went safe rather than sorry.

My plumber was remiss to wire anything more that basic controls. He has no experiance wiyh IAQ. The furnace was also the plumbers choice, he almost quit when i sugested Rheem. He also does not do A/C so put in my coil but thats it. A close inspection of his work revealed he did not connect the furnace drain line, but thats a diffent story. He was highly recomended and many people sing his praises, I am just a nonstandard costomer I guess. All in all the experiance was less than I hoped but the furnace is in.

My HRV is is in an insulated attic and all venting is separate from the furnace. To use the included controler it has 4 wires marked
Y R G B. I think these are for a humidity sensor and power but the manual only lists them by colour not terminal designation.

I am looking for an AC installer, summer is almost over so this may wait till next spring. I assume I need 5 wire for 2 stage but will run 6 as I have extra. Infomation on standard 2 stage wiring would be helpful.

My furnace install manual has a diagram on page 33 fig 19 that reads "Variable speed furnace with two stage AC". I think this is how it should be conected once I have AC but am unsure if I can wire this way if I do not have the AC yet. I am also unsure how to wire the HRV, the IAQ manual has a section for powered ventilation using universal relays. Can/should the HRV double as dehumitification? Is set up different because its not conected to the main ducts?

I think U1-U3 will also be used for base boards in the future but with added parts
(Temp sensor, IAQ modual)

When I add a humidifier do I need to buy Honeywell? The models I see had bad reveiws.

I am thinking I can only add 3 universal items so 2 zone electric heat, HRV, and humidification is one to many for the EIM, but maybe not.

If you need more info please ask. If needed I can post images.

Thanks for reading.

Old 08-13-14, 08:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
http://www.venmar.ca/DATA/DOCUMENT/1...ion_Manual.pdf

I see nothing in the HRV manual to suggest that it can be controlled by your EIM.

Other possible extras
Red link Perhaps you meant internet gateway?
Humidifier
Wired outdoor sensor It uses a wireless outdoor sensor
Zoned baseboard heat controlThe timing is too different to use baseboard heat for stage 3

I am thinking I can only add 3 universal items so 2 zone electric heat
Are you going to buy a zone control and 2 more thermostats or did you want to bang in every zone from a single thermostat? I don't see this functioning correctly from a single thermostat.

I recommend contacting Honeywell Tech support. I am not optimistic that a single control will correctly control your entire list.

I'd say lose the baseboard heat and HRV.

Old 08-13-14, 09:12 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Houston

Yes, I ment the internet gateway. Its all wireless so I dont think it would be an issue to set up.

I know it has a wireless sensor, it came with it. No idea why but I thought two sensors would be better. As I mentioned I ran the wire long before I had the thermo.

The baseboards are currently controled by independent built in themos, if I cant connect them I can deal with that. Just thought it would be nice to have every thing in one place linked. Not against buying things to have it work.

The HRV was an early purchase. I thought any hvac stuff could conect to these IAQs. It should just be power and a sensor, no? I was thinking red and black are electrical and the sensors are not polarity specific, like the duct sensors.

Learning as I go.

Old 08-13-14, 09:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
It may be possible to connect the HRV but you would need to contact the manufacture of the HRV and possibly Honeywell.

Seems like baseboard heat cycles would be incredibly slow and a gas furnace cycles would be about 3 per hour. I'd keep it separate.

The humidifier does not need to be a Honeywell. I think Honeywell makes a good humidifier but I'm sure it would see much more operation in your neck of the woods than down here.

Old 08-14-14, 02:22 AM
T
I found a thread that has some info on Venmar, different model so I will contact them to confirm wiring.

Coming from a 2 wire mercury switch I think im having a little culture shock.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...e-board.html#b

Old 08-19-14, 12:29 AM
T
Venmar confirmed wiring, but also confirmed this unit will not work with 3 party controlers....sigh.

In further bad news the fan in my furnace wont run. If I hold the door switch I get a test run but thats it.

Furnace ..... wire ..... iaq
Y1 ......... orange. ..... Y
G ........... green .......... G
Com24 ... black....... C (lower C)
W/W1Y..... brown ...... w
Y2...... blue........ Y2
R ........ red ........R (lower R)

The wire seem right.
Never touched dip switches.

Old 08-26-14, 04:26 PM
T
Reseting the honeywell got yhe fan working.

A seperate thread someone hooked up a venmar as a 20 min demand switch and got it working.

Old 08-26-14, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Venmar confirmed wiring, but also confirmed this unit will not work with 3 party controlers
What is the wiring they confirmed ??

Old 08-29-14, 01:33 AM
T
Sorry, same as linked thread.

Bk is the hot
G is the high switch
R is the low switch
Y is the common

There is also an Override switch for bath timers and etc...
Bk (OC) is the hot terminal
R (OL) is high setting
Y (I) is for the LED

Wiring the Honeywell to the demand terminals seems like a workable soloution.

Old 03-20-15, 10:48 AM
T
An electrician friend and I were recently talking about my setup.

After talking giving him my model numbers he gave me this drawing.

is this the magic bullet im looking for?

Last edited by ThumbBanger; 03-20-15 at 10:57 AM. Reason: image repair
Old 03-20-15, 11:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
It's hard to read and a PNG doesn't expand well.

Old 03-24-15, 01:42 PM
T
This is my low voltage wiring.

This is how it is wired now.
This diagram follows the one I was sent.

U1 is set to HRV.
The HRV and Timer switches do not function But the HRV will go into override mode From tHe unit.

Last edited by ThumbBanger; 03-24-15 at 01:51 PM. Reason: image problems

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: