Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Fan Operation Switch & Heat Cycle Rate setting on Honeywell RTH2410?

Old 08-19-14, 06:47 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all!

I just replaced an old T87F with a new digi RTH2410B thermostat. My system is an electric/gas hybrid,
a Goodman HCA075ND3R 75k BTU, with a electronic ignition w/ relay & VR8204-S8600H control.

When setting up the new thermostat, it has a internal switch for fan operation with 2 selections....Gas or Oil systems on one side...........Electric or Heat Pump on the other. My system is gas, and I would've set it there without a thought even though the front end is electric, but the manual also says to select Electric/Heat Pump if a fan wire is connected to the G terminal, which mine has a green wire on G. So naturally, I'm now confused which side to pick?

Also, on the heat cycle rate settings there is one for gas or oil furnace and one for electric furnace that says to use it if you have any kind of electric heating system. I selected gas or oil....just wanting to make sure I'm right and the "any kind of electric" didn't include electric/gas hybrids?

Thank you!

Old 08-19-14, 07:34 PM
M
Here is the installation guide if helpful

https://customer.honeywell.com/resou.../69-2726ES.pdf

Fan switch is on pdf page 10
Heating cycle rate is on pdf page 18

Old 08-19-14, 08:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Set it for gas heat with 5 cycles per hour.

I recommend getting your consolidated furnace inspected.

Old 08-20-14, 08:40 AM
M
Okay, thanks. There is no changeable cycle setting like the old t-stats though, just predetermined, digital selections of 6 gas, 5 electric, etc. but I would think the gas selection is fixed at 5 being that it's been the norm and the 6 is just the program selection number. It would help if they included a bit more technical info in their booklets these days.

Is there a reason you advise an inspection, something about that type of system/setup, or is it just for general maintenance sake?

Old 08-20-14, 10:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I searched your model number HCA with the word furnace many recall and dangerous warnings came up.

Consolidated Furnace used to make furnaces that other manufacturers would rebrand with their sticker. They don't have enough safety switches and require annual maintenance or a very hazardous condition can occur. 10 pounds of rust on the burners can make the flames rollout the sides of the furnace and burn the roof. It can also melt burners or focus the flames on one spot and crack a heat exchanger. Cracked heat exchangers can introduce carbon monoxide into the living space.

Furnaces became much safer in the mid 90's with the introduction of inshot burners and induced draft motors.

Old 08-20-14, 05:39 PM
M
Wow, nice catch! I've been looking it up and that's pretty crazy. It says my model was only made between 85-86, but it's serial dates it to Feb 91. So there's even more out there than they already know of. It's 23 years old now without an issue, but it's scary to know we've been sleeping under that thing all these winters and leaving the heat on while we were gone. Or how many others are completely unaware of it as well.

I appreciate the info Houston, and the answer to my t-stat question. Now I just have to find a lot of money to replace the furnace LOL. thanks

Old 08-20-14, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mid 1992 is when Carrier stopped selling rebranded Consolidated furnaces and introduced their 58RAV and 58PAV furnaces. Trane also used to sell rebranded Consolidated furnaces until around that time. I wouldn't want a Consolidated furnace in my home.

Any time that you remove 10 pounds of rust from that type of furnace you have to question the safety.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: