Can I Combine My A/C and Heat Thermostats?

Old 09-01-14, 06:02 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I Combine My A/C and Heat Thermostats?

Hello,
My first post here so I hope it goes well. I will label my current home setup and then post the pictures. Currently we have our A/C system in the attic with two zones (Upstairs and Family Room downstairs). The heat is natural gas hot water baseboard so radiant with 5 zones;

-Upstairs
-Family Room
-Kitchen Floor (hot water)
-Living/Dining Room
-Bonus Room

The Upstairs, Family Room, and Kitchen are programmable Honeywell units while the other two are simple on/off dials. The A/C thermostats in the Upstairs and Family Room are right next to the programmable heat thermostats. The heat thermos can be used for both A/C and heat. What I would love to do is combine these two areas so that their is one unit in each room.

I have attached pictures of the back of the units, the A/C thermo is a Bryant that looks dated, non-programmable. The home was built in 1996.

A/C
Y1
Y/Y2
R
C

Heat
W
R/Rc (joined)

So what would the verdict be? Doable?

Old 09-01-14, 06:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
It is doable but you need a stat with separate R and RC terminals and 2 stages of cooling to support the Y1 and Y2. neither of your 2 stats has this.

Old 09-01-14, 06:28 PM
C
So since the stat currently has R and Rc separate I would just need to ensure the new one also has Y1 and Y2. Now I'm curious as to why there are two stages of cooling. Let me correct that. I'm assuming the new thermostat with all of this on it will have the heat connected to R and the red wire currently on R for the A/C will now be connected to the Rc on the new thermo?

Old 09-01-14, 10:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you post more information about your system we may be able to verify that you indeed have a 2 stage cooling system.

The make and model number of the indoor unit and outdoor unit as well as the wire connections at the indoor unit would be of assistance.

Old 09-02-14, 08:50 AM
C
So I am the 3rd owner of the house and thankfully the original who built the home and then the second owner who lived here only two years keep great records. I have all the books and info on the system. Let me know if you would like additional information or anything other than what is on these covers to identify. Thanks

Old 09-02-14, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Impressive record keeping.
Looks like you indeed have a 2 speed condenser so you need a multi stage thermostat with separate R and Rc terminals.

I would take advantage of the 24 volt common wire that you have and get a stat with a C terminal.

I recommend getting a Honeywell thermostat.
The Pro version gives you more functions if you are going to get it from an Internet site but a big box store is easier to return if you will settle for the retail RTH series.

Now is a good time to consider a WiFi model.

Old 09-02-14, 05:57 PM
C
WiFi is an option on the table for these replacements, I'm also assuming again that I would need to connect the current red R wire from my AC thermo to the Rc on whatever the new unit is, then the red R on the heat to the R on the new?

Honeywell is definitely the way I'd like to go, the nest looks neat but I'm not ready to dump almost $300 on a single thermostat. When you say Pro are you referring to programmable? The current heat are either 5-2 or 5-1-1 and I love the feature.

Old 09-02-14, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The Honeywell professional grade thermostats start with a T and the retail models start with an R.

A Pro example might be the Honeywell VisionPro TH8321.

The retail model starts with an R and has less features, like the ability to set cycles per hour and support for dual fuel heat pumps.

Home Depot and Lowes sell the retail version but the pro version can be found on websites like Amazon. The pro versions have more configuration options.

Both Retail and Pro stats can be purchased on Amazon so you'd want to pay attention to the model number...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...neywell%20Wifi

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: