old 7 wire thermostat to new 2 wire?

Old 09-12-14, 11:14 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old 7 wire thermostat to new 2 or 6 wire?

We have an old Coleman 7 wire thermostat in our 5th wheel camper. I haven't been able to find the model number for it. The wire colors are yellow, white, red, purple, brown, gray and blue.

Is it possible to replace this with a 2 wire thermostat? Or are 6 wire thermostats easy to find, and would we be able to wire to that? There are no 7 wire thermostats in stock locally and we're hoping to get this fixed by tomorrow.

Last edited by lbrowne; 09-12-14 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
With a two-wire thermostat you would obviously use several functions. Without knowing the function of each wire you listed it is difficult to say. More than likely several of the wires you listed control fan speeds. A six wire thermostat should work. If you have a schematic for your system it would be a matter of determining which wires are absolutely required to power up the system and operate the controls. Without a schematic, you could hopefully trace the wires to see where they go.

Old 09-12-14, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I can supply you with a model number if you can answer a few questions.

1) Do you have a standard A/C unit or heat pump ?
2) Was the thermostat digital or mechanical ?
3) Did the thermostat have fan hi/low on it ?

If you answer the questions and tell me what the colors are of the wires you have I should be able to give you the functions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: