Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

The R and G wires coming from my thermostat are wire backwards at the blower

Old 09-14-14, 08:07 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The R and G wires coming from my thermostat are wire backwards at the blower unit. The system has been working fine But I need to prepare to hook up a new thermostat for a heat pump. I notice while taking pictures that the wire coming from the terminal marked R on the blower control board was going to the green wire from the existing thermostat and vice versa for the green.

Last edited by Jay Hicks; 09-14-14 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-14-14, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
When you install the new heat pump system and the new thermostat just make the change.
Be sure to turn the power off at the air handler first before changing any wiring.

Old 09-14-14, 08:43 AM
J
Pjmax,

thanks for you response. Should I change it even if it working fine already? Are you saying the order is reversible or at least it will work fine reverses?

Old 09-14-14, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Your system has been and will continue to work fine if you don't swap the wires. The voltage doesn't care what color the wires are.... that's just to keep the connections straight.

I wouldn't change the wiring until you do your thermostat change.

Old 09-14-14, 10:42 AM
J
PJmax,

I am sorry if I'm belaboring this and thanks again thanks for you time and patience. I just want to make sure I communicated the problem correctly. the red and green wire are hooked up correctly at the thermostat. the red wire is hooked up to the R (24 volt) and the green wire Green (fan switch) . they are just flipped at the blower box.
now, I guess when the fan switch is on both wires will still carry 24 volts of current.

Old 09-14-14, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
You only have those two connecting wires ?
You have control of fan only at thermostat and nothing else ???

The two wires should be changed at the blower box.

Old 09-15-14, 08:57 AM
J
PJmax,

no, I have the usual assortment of wires at the thermostat. I have a blue common (C) that also goes to the blower. coincidentally, the blue is no longer needed at the thermostat (since it is now battery only). I have a yellow (Y) for the compressor outside that connects at the blower and I have an orange that will get used to switch the heat on the heat pump, again just connecting through the blower. I also have a black (R) and white (w1) for the boiler heat (not going to the blower at all).

Old 09-16-14, 06:32 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do you have electric heat strips in the air handler that are activated when the heat pump goes into defrost mode? If not, the system will be blowing cold air while in defrost.

Old 09-16-14, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
There is something not right here !

Your system could not have been working fine with the R and G terminals/wiring reversed. R is the 24vac supply..... if it was in the wrong place the system could not work properly. It almost sounds like you have a splice somewhere.

Old 09-22-14, 07:19 PM
J
Fired,

unfortunately the HVAC guy never mentioned the need for heat strips. I might be upgrading to a HE boiler quicker than expected. the heat pump was a stop gap to lower the heating cost with the older boiler I currently have for my hydronic heat system.

PJMax,
I reversed the wires and blew out the 5 amp fuse so I think it has to remain as is. I find it strange too.

Thanks

Old 09-22-14, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Definitely strange. The fuse should not blow unless you touch the R and C wires together which both come directly from the transformer or there is a bare spot on a wire going to ground. If you post photos of your thermostat wiring and wiring at the blower control board perhaps someone might spot the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: