Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Arzel Airboss relay/solenoid at bottom of panel vibrates continuously

Old 09-28-14, 02:21 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi

I have an Airboss by Arzel. At the bottom of the panel is a white tube type device. In it, it looks like it has solenoids or relays. These vibrate non stop even if the furnace is not going. I've had the Airboss for awhile and I don't remember it doing this. It was the constant buzz that caught my attention while in the basement. Are these easy to replace? If so, where might I find them? Is there a convenient way to check if they are the problem?

Thanks...

Mike

Old 09-28-14, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I have to wonder what is the advantage of using a pump to fill air bladders instead of standard 24 volt dampers.

Does it sound like an air pump for a fish aquarium?
Do your dampers function correctly?

Name:  Airzal air boss.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  44.7 KB

Old 09-28-14, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,485 Votes on 1,373 Posts
I thought this WAS the air bladder system but it isn't. There is a system that uses actual air bladders that expand to block the ducts.

24vac valves and air pumps to move mechanical doors.

Old 09-28-14, 09:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
https://skipthewarehouse.com/get_manual_file/2093/

It seems like adding a pump and tubing would introduce more parts that can fail but I am sure there must be an advantage somewhere or they wouldn't use it.

Old pneumatic chill water controls did last a very long time.

The dampers look more expensive..

Name:  Arzel Airboss damper.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  25.6 KB

Old 09-29-14, 07:59 AM
M
airboss buzzing

Thanks for the input.

The attached pics show my airboss powered with everything else powered off. The airboss buzzes quite loud and the noise is coming from the white tube at bottom.

This one shows the airboss:
Name:  Screenshot-airboss-always-buzzing-1.jpg
Views: 2308
Size:  23.6 KB

I have my finger on the buzzing solenoid/relay tube at bottom:
Name:  Screenshot-airboss-always-buzzing-2.jpg
Views: 2286
Size:  21.4 KB

Furnace is off. The buzzing/vibrating is the same if furnace is off, on, running, etc

Thanks...

Old 09-29-14, 08:06 AM
Group Moderator
That looks and sounds like the air pump itself or is that somewhere else ?

Old 09-29-14, 10:07 AM
M
The noise is coming from the white tube at bottom that I have my finger on. I have a short video (~3Mb) showing this but couldn't attach it. The noise would change as I applied pressure with my finger.

Old 02-24-15, 06:25 AM
This is the air/vacuum pump.
It is on constantly, regardless of the status of the furnace.
there is a small white "block" that sits on top and often comes loose. It rattles but the nature of this type of pump is to vibrate ie "make noise". It is hardly a silent pump.

Doug

Old 02-24-15, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
From the owners manual....

Both pumps will start and position up to 50 dampers any time there is a call for heating, cooling or fan operation. Both pumps will stop three minutes after the last thermostat is satisfied. Pumps will restart for any call for heating, cooling or fan from any thermostat. Pump operation is indicated by a red LED (Pump). Both pumps are delayed one minute on a call for heat (fossil fuel) to allow the blower to start before any dampers close. Pumps are designed for continuous duty.

Although it says the pumps are designed for continuous duty it also says they shut off after a thermostat call.

Old 02-24-15, 03:15 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
The only advantage of the pneumatic system is that you can get by with running the pneumatic tubing through the duct, something that is frowned upon with electric cable. Makes a retrofit installation a bit easier.

Old 02-25-15, 10:00 AM
I'm sure this has been sorted out, but here is some information that might be helpful to the next guy struggling with an Arzel AirBOSS system.

My two zone system quit yesterday. In retrospect, the noise from the pump should have been an indication of an unbalanced pump. Just to be clear, this pump is a "dual head, vibrating armature" style diaphragm pump. Each side has a pair of connectors: white for pressure and blue for suction. The "rule" from Arzel is Rear, Right Suction with the left side suction left open on the front of the pump. Dampers open with pressure and close with suction.

The long and short of this post is that one of the check valves inside the pump failed. Getting the pump out required removal of the two front nylon standoffs by unscrewing from the bottom. Take a photo prior to disassembly. Makes replacement of tubes much easier.

The silicone valves can not be purchased. You need to get a whole new pump (although if the new one fails, I have 3 good valves to use from the old pump). I found the Parts Guy Arzel Pump PMP-PUMP1 Pressure/Vacuum Assembly for $80.08 plus $5 Ground Shipping to my US address in Niagara Falls, NY. The price from Johnstonesupply was over $160 plus NY sales tax. In Canada, they wouldn't quote me a price until I ordered it - delivery might be 3-4 weeks!

The temporary fix for this was to get an aquarium check value and insert it into the line with a broken silicone valve (removed the valve - was performing no useful purpose). It's worked fine.

The MPS switch is designed as a Failsafe option for a failed panel (not much use with a failed pump) and it functions by turning the pump on continuously even with the panel turned off at the main board switch. You have to make sure that one of your thermostats is calling for heat. At that point, all dampers will be opened.

Once the check valve was in place, the pump was dead silent again. No more rattling noise. Dampers open. Success.

By the way, the quickest way to test the valves is to look at the air flow direction arrows on the body of the outlet/inlet connectors, and apply suction or pressure in opposition to the proper direction of flow. Likely will find one or more pass air freely in both directions. This indicates valve failure.

I hope that this is useful to someone. Arzel tech support were quite helpful explaining what the actual pump specs were. They also clarified some of the details around MPS switch.

Good luck,
Doug

Old 02-25-15, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the additional information.

Old 04-22-15, 11:08 AM
K
Baffles not closing

Hello,
I've just read the other threads reference the air pump in the Air Boss, which brings up a question someone may be able to answer.

I bought a foreclosed on home that has a geothermal HVAC system. I have a 3 zone system. 2 zones downstairs, and 3rd is all of the second floor area. The way I have the down stairs setup is lets call it zone 1, covers living area, and zone 2 covers master bedroom and bath laundry room areas. I setup zone 1 to turn off for the evening at a certain time and zone 2 starts about 20 minutes after zone 1 every night. This has been working flawless for a couple of years now, no issues. I've noticed over the last several days I am getting air out of the zone 1 vents while the thermostat for zone 1 shows off. Then I realized when zone 2 turns on 20 minutes later, I am now also getting air in zone 1. So logic is telling me I have a zone baffle that is not opening or closing. However, this situation doesn't work the other way around. Zone 1 doesn't blow in zone 2 when 2 is off. I haven't bothered checking if any of this is effecting zone 3 as I haven't bothered to turn that thermostat on in months.
I have been surfing for awhile, but this is the only place I've come across to even be able to ask the question, and my A/C guy isn't up on the Airboss system, nor where any of the baffles would be located to even check them.
I will try the suggestion on how to tell if the pump needs to be replaced, and it is very loud now. I never even heard it until a month or so ago. So my question is, is it that air pump that controls, or open, closes baffles? Any other troubleshooting suggestions to help figure out this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Old 04-22-15, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Yes..... the pump controls the opening and closing of the air operated dampers.
Check accessible locations like the attic or basement for the dampers. A closet would not be unheard of either.

Old 04-23-15, 07:19 AM
K
OK, great. At least I MAY have found a solution to my problem. Turns out it looks that they are all open as one zone blows in all of them now. So, I'll look into ordering a replacement pump and see what happens.

Thanks for the help...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: