A/C turning on when set to heat - Honeywell RTHL221B

Old 10-20-14, 03:40 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C turning on when set to heat - Honeywell RTHL221B

I installed a Honeywell RTHL221B thermostat a couple months ago and I turned on the heat for the first time today and noticed outside the A/C unit was running also. Hot air was still coming out of the vents though. There are five wires connected to it(White-W, Yellow-Y, Green-G, Red-R, Blue-Rc[with no jumpers])

On the back of the thermostat there is a switch for "Gas or oil" or "electric or heat pump". I have an oil fired hydro-air system for heat so I had it on the 'gas/oil' setting, but after the a/c was turning on when it was set for heat, I switched it to 'electric/heat pump' to see what happened and now it works like it should. The heat alone turns on when it's set to heat. I have tried two different RTHL221B thermostats and they both function the same way. Contacting Honeywell tech support was not very helpful(Indian automated script reading just told me unit was defective and exchange it). Is this how the system should be running? Is it ok to run it with the switch on the back set to 'electric/heat pump'?

Old 10-20-14, 03:48 PM
S
Let's see if you have a heat pump, can you post the model number of the outside unit?

Old 10-20-14, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,530 Votes on 1,413 Posts
(White-W, Yellow-Y, Green-G, Red-R, Blue-Rc[with no jumpers])
That setup tells me no heatpump but two transformers may in use..... since no jumper between the R terminals.

A question..... what was the make and model of your old t'stat and were the wires on the same exact terminals.

Old 10-20-14, 05:28 PM
A
@skaggsje

HAC018AKA1

@PJmax

I'm not sure about the model of the t'stat, but it was a Braeburn. (Edit: After looking online I believe the old one was the Braeburn 1000NC).

I just double checked the picture of the old wire connections and they're the same, from left to right on the old t'stat: RC-Blue(no jumper), RH-red, B-no wire, O-no wire, Y-yellow, W-white, G-green, C-no wire.

I replaced the old t-stat because the A/C wasn't turning on anymore. When I put on the new one I just checked the A/C and it was working, but I never checked the heat, until now.

Last edited by Acheron13; 10-20-14 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-20-14, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,530 Votes on 1,413 Posts
That jumper is for fan control. Since you have an oil burner system.... most likely with it's own transformer.... it interacts differently. Leave that switch in the position where it works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: