Switching from Robertshaw RS2110 to Honeywell Wifi.

Old 10-29-14, 11:34 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switching from Robertshaw RS2110 to Honeywell Wifi.

Hey guys, I just recently bought a house and wanted to swap thermostats...I've been troubleshooting this for a few days without any luck, so I thought I'd give it a shot here.

I've currently got a Robertshaw RS2110 hooked up with two (red and blue) wires going to C and two (yellow) wires going to Y1. When I hooked up the Honeywell, turning on the AC blew warm air. It doesn't help that the wiring by the furnace looks like a hack job as you can see in the pics. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I should mention that I have a Trane XL19i AC unit and a Trane TWE049E13FB2 heating unit.

Last edited by lawrosa; 10-29-14 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!! To help with reference material here is a link for guides for your air handler and heat pump:

http://www.butcherdistributors.com/I...rior/2twz9.pdf
http://dar.proflo.com/darmanager/Que...E=INSTALLATION

The first thing I notice is that you currently have the wrong thermostat to properly operate your system. Your heat pump is a two-stage and the thermostat only has one Y terminal. I am guessing that is why you have two yellow wires connected to the Y terminal on the thermostat. Why you have two wires going to the thermostat C terminal I have no idea. On most systems, the "C" terminal on the thermostat is the common wire from the transformer. On a Trane system, the "B" terminal is the common from the transformer. So. while looking at the wiring schematics in the guides I linked the B wire will be connected to C at the thermostat at the air handler and at the heat pump.

What is the model of the thermostat you want to install? From what I see in the photos you posted standard wire colors were not utilized. I suggest you go outside to the heat pump and with power shut off to the unit, take some photos of where all of the wires are connected coming in from the house. Then using the wiring schematics in the guides you will have to figure out how to get them back at the correct terminals on the thermostat.

I have attached a color coded diagram of a typical wiring diagram for a Trane two-stage heat pump with variable speed air handler. Your air handler is not variable speed.

Attached Images  

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 10-29-14 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 01:01 PM
T
Thanks for the response! I'm trying to install a RTH9580. I'm not currently at the house but can take pictures tonight.

Old 10-29-14, 01:51 PM
Wiring your RTH9580 and getting it setup should be pretty straightforward. The most difficult thing will be figuring out the color coding/function of the wiring. As stated earlier, the best way to tackle this will be to go to the condenser outside and see which wires are connected to what terminals and then make sure the same connections are made at the air handler and thermostat. I do not see a wire on your original thermostat so I am assuming you don't have any auxiliary heat, is that correct?

In your photos I see green wires wire-nutted together but I don't see a green wire at the thermostat. Standard wiring colors would land a green wire on the thermostat G terminal which goes to the fan relay in the air handler.

I mis-spoke in an earlier post. Your air handler is a variable-speed.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 10-29-14 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-06-14, 10:50 AM
T
Sorry to take too long to respond. I just today was able to start pulling things apart and got some pictures. So I know I have heating and AC, but I'm confused as to why nothing is hooked up to the W terminals. And the green is hooked up to the white/cream wire.

Here's a picture from the heater. The grouping of wires in the white sleeve I'm assuming is coming from outside and the brown looks like it goes to the thermostat. At this point, the Robertshaw unit is showing only an E2 so I figure I might as well swap them now. It seems pretty straight forward, but I'm also not sure why the two oranges aren't connected to the heater and the R is jumped to the O terminal. And of course the brown and white wires on the Y terminal...it's probably a simple solution and I'd like to think I'm savvy with electronics but this is something I've never messed with.

Old 11-06-14, 12:02 PM
Your wiring color code is definitely not standard. What color wires are available at the thermostat?

So I know I have heating and AC, but I'm confused as to why nothing is hooked up to the W terminals.
Do you have electric heat strips installed?

And the green is hooked up to the white/cream wire.
Green is the standard color for the G terminal. Do you have a green wire available at your thermostat?

At this point, the Robertshaw unit is showing only an E2 so I figure I might as well swap them now.
I did not see E2 on the Robershaw in the photo you posted.

I'm also not sure why the two oranges aren't connected to the heater and the R is jumped to the O terminal.
The wire on the O terminal is what energizes the reversing valve at the heat pump.

And of course the brown and white wires on the Y terminal
The wiring diagram shown in the previous should be how your system should be wired. I would attempt to get the wiring colors lined up with that diagram as much as possible based on the available colors.

YLO is first stage
Y is 2nd stage

Can you post a photo of the wiring at your outside unit?

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 11-06-14 at 01:44 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: