Struggling with wireless on Honeywell TH8320WF1029

Old 10-31-14, 04:12 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Struggling with wireless on Honeywell TH8320WF1029

Hi everybody - I have a Honeywell wireless thermostat (model # in the subject line). I'm struggling with getting the wireless to work on it. When I toggle field #890 to "1", nothing displays in the upper part of the thermostat. It's also not findable on the network. I did a factory reset through field 710, but that didn't help - it's still not working. Any ideas on something else I could try?

Thanks for he help!

Old 10-31-14, 06:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Have you tried removing the thermostat from the wallplate , waiting over 5 seconds and then snapping it back together as stated in page 8?

Old 11-06-14, 10:45 AM
R
Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes - I did try to take the stat out of the plating and reconnect, but that was no help. I tried resetting again, and still no wireless. I wonder if the wireless adapter in the unit is shot? Thanks for the continued help!

Old 11-10-14, 07:47 AM
R
Thought I'd try to bump before I replace this - any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-14, 02:53 PM
R
Hi everyone - So I went to Honeywell's tech support chat session and talked with an agent. They walked me through some tests, and they determined that the wireless module on the thermostat was most likely faulty. They said they could not assist me further - these were "professional" thermostats, and if I wanted to try and make a warranty claim, I would have to contact a HVAC vendor. We didn't purchase these through an HVAC vendor ... we installed them ourselves. Am I really going to have to contact an HVAC vendor to try and get a warranty replacement?

Thanks for the continued help.

Old 11-10-14, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The reason thermostat manufacturers require professional installation to honor the warranty is because they have no other way to determine the installer has the knowledge/skills/training to properly install it. Just like any seller of electrical or electrical parts, signs are posted in the business or statements are made on the web-site: once the package is opened no returns are allowed.

Does a wifi connection have to be established before function 890 appears in the menu? One known method to get the wifi connection setup is to change the wifi network to WPA2 only mode.

Old 11-10-14, 06:39 PM
R
Thanks, fired - that makes good sense. We did actually have a quote to have these stats installed, and I just about fell over when I saw the estimate! We're a non-profit, so we try to stretch the dollar as far as it will go. Even if we have one or two die every once in awhile and I simply have to swap it out, it's still cheaper than having them installed through an HVAC vendor. We have a few areas where we won't require wireless, so this one can work out in another part of the campus.

I've tried toggling field 890 between one and zero. When I set 890 to 1 on the other stats, I see the words "wifi setup" displayed in the message area of the stat (at the top). With this one, when I enable, I get nothing. Something must have happened to the wireless module - that's the only thing I can think of.

Appreciate all of your help!

Old 11-10-14, 06:53 PM
I've tried toggling field 890 between one and zero. When I set 890 to 1 on the other stats, I see the words "wifi setup" displayed in the message area of the stat (at the top). With this one, when I enable, I get nothing. Something must have happened to the wireless module - that's the only thing I can think of.
That was my question: will "wifi setup" be displayed in message area only if there has been a wifi connection established? If so, that means the wifi still needs to be established. Did you try what I suggested by setting your wifi network to WPA2 only?

And will 890 only appear if wifi connection has been established?

Old 11-10-14, 07:12 PM
R
Sorry, fired, didn't explain that very well. :/

We've had the wireless off for several months now ... just got wifi in the room where the stat is, so I went to field 890 to enable the wireless module. As soon as you change that to 1, the words "wifi setup" should come up in the top display, indicating that you need to complete the setup process. When I enable 890 to 1 on this stat, I get zippo. For grins, I tried to see if I could see the stat on the wireless network, and nothing.

I can't even get to disabling wpa2 as the stat's wireless module isn't broadcasting. Hopefully that makes better sense.

Old 11-10-14, 07:16 PM
I can't even get to disabling wpa2 as the stat's wireless module isn't broadcasting. Hopefully that makes better sense.
The wp2a configuration would be done on the router side.

Here is a guide for the set-up: http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...er%20Guide.pdf

From page 29:

Try this: Go to function 900 and set it to 0. Hopefully it will display "wi-fi disconnected" for about a minute and then change to "wi-fi setup". Then hopefully you can set it up.

Page 8:
Connecting to your Wi-Fi network
Connect your wireless device to your home network. Any of these device types will work:
• Tablet (recommended)
• Laptop (recommended)
• Smartphone

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 11-10-14 at 07:38 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: