Bathroom Fan Control / Thermostat?

Old 11-11-14, 03:43 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Fan Control / Thermostat?

I have a bathroom fan in my main bathroom of the house, but it has this dial thing outside of the bathroom door and i haven't ever figured out(or tried really) what its use is for?

This is all I know so far. There is a switch inside the bathroom that turns the fan on and off. When the switch inside the bathroom is on for the fan, it turns on no matter what and turns off when it is switched to off.. UNTIL I turn the dial outside the bathroom to where it says "60". *Note*: It still turns on when i rotate the dial even when the switch inside the bathroom is off.

The dial is for the bathroom fan, reason being that there is no heat in the upstairs hall and the heater in the bathroom has a thermostat identical to the rest in the house.

I would like to know what the use is for this Thermostat or whatever it is, as the curiosity is driving me crazy. ...I will also put in that the bathroom fan downstairs does not have this.

Here are the pictures of it Name:  IMG_6131.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  17.9 KB Name:  IMG_6133.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  17.7 KB

Last edited by Brandon Morey; 11-11-14 at 03:48 PM. Reason: forgot to post pictures
Old 11-11-14, 04:24 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
That is a dehumidistat. It senses relative humidity and will turn on the fan when it reaches the setting.

Here is a link: http://www.broan.com/products/produc...6-274ff54552d8

Old 11-11-14, 11:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
That's an unusual sight. It's pretty common to see a humidistat in the bathroom.... not outside it.

People have their bathroom fan controlled by a humidistat so that when the air gets humid the fan turns on. An almost useless idea. What if you want the fan to run if you're on the throne ?

The most effective device for an exhaust fan control is a timer. Now they're made in multiple step pushbuttons. You could replace that humidistat with one.

Name:  timer.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  22.9 KB

Old 11-12-14, 01:05 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Im a bit confused still on how to use this. I've read that its connected to the houses climate control system, it works with the air conditioner etc..

My house has electric baseboard heating with separate thermostat dials in each room and no air conditioning. Also, with this being outside of the bathroom, how does it detect humidity levels? Is it from the fan in the bathroom or the humidistat itself?

Old 11-16-14, 05:03 AM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Do yourself a favor and install this timer,a dehumidistat outside the space is useless,I have the timer and it works great.
Geo

Old 11-16-14, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
The humidity is sensed right at the wall control so it is indeed useless outside the bathroom.

You would normally find that type of control attached to a humidifier on a forced air heating system. Since you have all electric baseboard heaters..... you can rule out that control affecting them.

The pushbutton timer I referenced is really the ideal way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: