Help with new Honeywell 9580WF

Old 11-18-14, 03:21 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with new Honeywell 9580WF

Hello all,

I hooked up my new Honeywell RTH9580WF today and am having a few issues. I am switching from an old Honeywell model TH6220D1002. I am all electric (AC/Heat/Water heater) with a Trane system and a heat pump.

The problem I am encountering is the heat shutting off when it is at temperature. At first, I was wondering why it would take about 5 minutes for the heater to kick on if I raised the heat. I am under the impression that my Trane system has a little delay before the heating or cooling kicks on. However, this does not solve my problem that the heater will not shut off when it reaches temperature.

I have tested both the AC and heat and they both work with the correct air (heat/hot, air/cool). When I set my heater to 71 with the fan on auto, it reaches the 71 and then stays there. I let it go for excess of 50 minutes. The room temperature read 71 and the heater continued to run. It was much hotter than 71 in the room.

Is something wired wrong that it will not shut off when it reaches temperature? I can manually set it to 68 (random number down from 71) and it will shut itself off.

I will include a pic of my old thermostat wiring.

The new wiring on the 9580WF is as follows:

Red- R
Yellow- Y
Blue- C
Orange- O/B
Green- G
Black- W2/AuxE

Attached Images  
Old 11-18-14, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
It was much hotter than 71 in the room.
Are you guessing here or did you have another thermometer next to the thermostat ?

If you had the thermostat set to 71 and the room was more than several degrees warmer.... then you have a thermostat problem. Be sure you don't have cold air entering thru the back of the thermostat as that will fool the thermostat into thinking the room is cold.

Old 11-18-14, 04:20 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the response. I did have another thermometer in the room and it was hotter. There is no cold air entering the back of it as the thermostat is attached to an interior kitchen wall.

Also, since the post I set it down to 68 so that the heater would turn off. The temperature has now hit 68 and the heater did kick on. The question is if it will turn off or not....Very odd.....

Old 11-18-14, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Interior walls can still have cold air get to the stat if the hole around the stat wire isn't sealed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: