Redlink Gateway de-registering itself from Honeywell Total Connect

Old 11-25-14, 08:45 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Redlink Gateway de-registering itself from Honeywell Total Connect

About a month ago I installed a Honeywell IAQ with redlink gateway, outside sensor & redlink gateway. These were bought from a heating contractor as used but never installed. They were still wrapped in original packaging. Everything works, including the ability to add the redlink gateway to my honeywell total connect account. However, after about 5-6 hours, the redlink gateway becomes de-registered from the honeywell total connect account. It needs to be manually re-added for phone and web remote control.

I have a Honeywell WiFi thermostat in my garage, that has been on the account for over a year without any issues.

I should add that while I add the redlink to the account, the process take a very long time and I usually need to his refresh, then it becomes registered right away.

Has this ever been a problem for any contractors in here that install these on a regular basis?

I tried calling Honeywell, but all ive managed to do is sit on hold.

Old 11-25-14, 10:06 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
https://www.forwardthinking.honeywel...../69-2490.pdf

I never used redlink but I have a lot of experience with wifi. Even if the wifi disconnects, the product should stay registered at honeywell. Is there more than one router, on your network? How does redlink connect to the network? Why is it called a gateway? There should only be one gateway.

From the PDF: The Internet Gateway must be registered online before use at www.mytotalconnectcomfort.com. Enter the MAC ID and MAC CRC numbers located on the bottom of the Internet Gateway. For additional information, see instructions provided with the device.
69-

Do the registration on a wired machine. Try a different browser, just in case there is a scripting problem.

Old 11-25-14, 04:52 PM
T
thanks for the suggestions. The IAQ/Redlink devices do not connect directly to honeywell like the WIFI products. Redlink is the wireless linking tech that honeywell uses on that particular line of products. the redlink thermostat links to the "redlink gateway" which has the network MAC ID and CRC addresses that you register on the honeywell site. The redlink gateway ties into your network via ethernet cable to your router/modem; it can have multiple IAQ thermostats hooked to it.

My problem is that I go through the registration process on the honeywell website successfully, the thermostat shows up online and on the app for a few hours, then disappears and has to be re-added.

Old 11-25-14, 06:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If it connects to the router by an ethernet cable, then how is it a "wireless linking tech" to use your quote & how is it a gateway? The router is the gateway. Redlnk has to get an IP address from the router. I don't know what CRC is. Do you know how to open the web interface of your router? What router do you have & who is your ISP?

Old 11-25-14, 07:35 PM
T
>If it connects to the router by an ethernet cable, then how is it a "wireless linking tech" to use your quote & how is it a gateway?

Redlink is the wireless technology name that honeywell has adopted for a line of its thermostat products - there's accessories, including wireless sensors for outside and inside your home, that communicate wirelessly using what honeywell calls "redlink technology". The thermostat is connected to an EIM (equipment interface module) via regular thermostat wire to the furnace. The EIM, thermostat, and sensors communicate to the Redlink Gateway wirelessly. The Redlink gateway is the name honeywell gave to their device, which is nothing more than a "modem" of sorts that is connected via ethernet to your router to provide the internet connection to the whole "redlink" system. This is a name chosen by Honeywell and that is what its called. Here is the product page for it. https://www.forwardthinking.honeywel.../total_connect

In my case, the Redlink Gateway is working properly, gets its IP just fine and is connected to the internet - it is seen by my thermostat and recognized by the honeywell site. Its just that it doesnt work for more than a few hours. It gets removed from my account for some reason, over and over.

The MAC ID and MAC CRC are what you use to register your Redlink Gateway to honeywell. Again, even if you havent used a mac CRC before, it is what honeywell uses. Here's the bottom of my router.

Name:  Redlink mac id.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  28.9 KB

I know how the product works and its not an issue of getting it to work; its more of a question if techs have run into this with honeywell.

Old 11-25-14, 09:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I have not run into this problem before but I have had an issue with the stat constantly rebooting.

This was corrected by installing a system update on a thumb drive and plugging it into the stat.

Seems like your application would be able to update without a thumb drive.

It might be worth looking into.

Old 11-25-14, 09:56 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I understand how it works now. CRC is cyclical redundancy check. I never saw it used that way but that doesn't matter. Either there is something wrong on your end that is telling their database that something is invalid or there is a problem with their database itself. The next time that you have to re-register, enter the MAC address as follows 00:10:2D & so on... It's a long shot but it's worth a try. I would suggest some other configuration attempts you shouldn't have to go that deep.

Other than that, email Honeywell domains@honeywell.com

That's the only address that I see when I do a whois on their domains. There is a contact page on the site that you pasted, in your last post. You can try that too but I think that the email address is better.

973-455-2000 I don't know if that's the # that you called.

Old 11-26-14, 09:39 AM
T
Houston204, Where did you find the software updates for the thermostat? They seem to be buried deep on honeywell's site.

Old 11-26-14, 09:43 AM
T
Pulpo, Ive emailed them through the contact form on their page last week, no answer. Ill try that number, the 800 number was just a line to be on hold without ever talking to a human. pretty dissapointed so far, although the thermostat is functioning well otherwise

Old 11-26-14, 10:14 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Here is a link I have in my files that may be what you are looking for:

https://thermostatsetup.honeywell.co...s/default.aspx

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 11-26-14 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-26-14, 12:30 PM
T
thanks for that link! Fantastic. This board is great, i was able to get to a department called digital operations, and report the issue. That department was staffed with US-based tech people, they said they had similar reports, asked for my info and the gateway's info so they could find it in the database and try to pinpoint the issue. Even got a case number if i want to call in and check in on it.

Old 11-26-14, 03:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Is Honeywell the only company that offers that service & product? If not, I would make it a point to switch to the other company & return the hardware. I would also announce it, through the internet & notify Honeywell.

Old 11-27-14, 07:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The Honeywell Redlink line of thermostatic controls is the best choice on the market today in my opinion. I have installed dozens of Redlink stats and have one on my home but if that gateway keeps giving you problems it might require an exchange.

Does the thermostat continue to control the furnace when it drops of of your account screen?

I have had a customer tell me that they couldn't see the upstairs stat on their account when I turned off power to the furnace to clean the flame sensor, measure the cap and connect my meters to the furnace.
Seems like a limit trip could also cause this account dropout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: