Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Gas furnace does not respond to my upstairs Honeywell RTHL2310 thermostats

Old 12-02-14, 06:42 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have two RTHL2310 thermostats, each two months old. Twice now the furnace does not respond to the upstairs thermostat. Switching from Auto to Fan starts the blower, but with no heat. AC responds without problems when switching to Cool/Auto. The furnace responds when I then switch back to Heat/Auto and continues to do so for a few weeks, then the problem returns. No issues with the downstairs thermostat and both are wired identically. Could I just have a problem thermostat?

**Title should read "thermostat"

Old 12-02-14, 07:12 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum!! I suggest you verify the J2 jumper shown on page 8 in the linked manual is set properly (HG for a gas furnace). Also, make sure you have fresh batteries as very low batteries can affect the operation of the thermostat.

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/...ion-manual.pdf

Old 12-02-14, 09:17 AM
C
Thanks for the reply. I had my wife take a picture and send (attached). Looks like my actual model is RTH2300B1012 (I pulled the model # in the title from the Lowe's website thinking it was correct). That said, the fan operation switch is in the factory-set position of "Gas or Oil." I can confirm the batteries are two weeks old.

Name:  IMG_5295.jpeg
Views: 403
Size:  31.0 KB

Old 12-02-14, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The common sense approach would be to swap the thermostats from downstairs to upstairs to see if that solves the issue. If so, then it would point to the fact the upstairs thermostat is defective. If that swap didn't correct the issue, then further troubleshooting will be required. Intermittent problems are the most difficult to diagnose.

Old 12-02-14, 10:01 AM
C
Thanks for the reply - I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: