Two clicks - no heat. Please help!

Old 12-05-14, 07:44 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Two clicks - no heat. Please help!

Thanks in advance for helping!

I recently replaced the upstairs and downstairs thermostats in my house. The one downstairs appears to be working correctly. The upstairs one works for the most part but at night when it reaches the set temperature it clicks on and then immediately clicks off and no hot air moves. It works sometimes but think that if the downstairs thermostat isn't on then the upstairs one can't initiate or something. Here are photos of the old and new wiring configurations. And I found this info on the old one. http://www.michaelshell.org/files/ro..._400_therm.pdf

Based on this I assumed on the old one that red=heat(w), white=common(r), blue=cool(b or c) so on the new one (Honeywell 5000) I connected red to W, white to R, and blue to C. What did I do wrong??? THANKS!

Attachment 42802
Attachment 42800

Old 12-05-14, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A little confusion and lack of information here.

When you change a thermostat.... you need to label the wires based on what they were connected to. Do you have heat and A/C ?

Based on normal wiring.....
red ---> R
white ---> W
blue --- ??? probably not C

Old 12-06-14, 11:12 AM
S
more details

Thanks for your response. Yes, I do have heating and AC. I don't think the photos worked in the original post, I'll try the photos again with additional explanation:

The original thermostat didn't have a good labels on it but I did find a digital copy of manual for the old thermostat. This is the schematic: Name:  schematic.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  28.7 KB

And I took a photo of the original wiring: Name:  IMG_3265.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  31.7 KB

Based on the schematic, I think the red wire=heat(w), white wire =common(r), blue wire=cool(B), which isn't the most logical color matching.

The new thermostat is actually a Honeywell 6000. I connected red to W, white to R to be consistent with the previous version. There wasn't a B option for the blue wire (on the top) so I went with C because the contact on the original thermostat had a C molded into the plastic right next to it. Here's what I ended up with:Name:  IMG_3273.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  30.6 KB

I'm assuming the blue wire is probably wrong. There is the O/B option listed underneath the contacts but B lines up with W. It didn't seem to make sense to put both the blue and red (W) wire into the same contact but maybe that is right.

I also may need to program the thermostat differently but first want to make sure it is is wired correctly.

I hope the photos came through this time. THANKS!

Old 12-06-14, 11:50 AM
S
On new stat land red wire on R and white wire on W. They are calling the R as common, which is unusual.

Old 12-06-14, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
Based on normal wiring.....
red ---> R
white ---> W
blue --- > Y
There is no Common connection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: