T8411R to RTH6450 Wiring Help

Old 12-07-14, 02:48 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T8411R to RTH6450 Wiring Help

Hi guys, so I've seen a couple other posts about this but none of them seem to match my situation. The closest one had a guy dealing with 6 wires and I've only got 5. I had the following;

G - green wire
C - blue wire
R - red wire
Y - yellow wire
O - white wire

I'm guessing on the new thermostat I'll do;

G - green
R - red
Y - yellow
O - white

Is this right? I don't need anything for the aux/e correct? I'm going to try this but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-07-14, 03:15 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I always call the tech support when I wire those things. Usually the print is so small on the instructions, it's easier to call.

Old 12-07-14, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't need anything for the aux/e correct?
Your proposed wiring will work.

You don't show any wiring for Aux/E in your wiring to the original thermostat. Do you have electric heat strips installed for auxiliary heat and to temper the air during defrost mode?

The new thermostat doesn't use a C wire so you can tape it off. You will need to go into the setup menu (starting on page 13 in the linked manual) and configure it to operate a heat pump. Setting for function 1 will depend upon whether you have auxiliary heat installed.

https://customer.honeywell.com/resou.../69-2416ES.pdf

Old 12-07-14, 04:37 PM
B
I am not sure about whether I have any electric strips for a defrost mode, but maybe not because I live in Phoenix and don't have much frost issues (unless you are referring to them pump itself freezing from running too cold?).

I didn't want to wait and figured I'd give it a shot so I taped off the common blue wire and wired it like I said and then set function 1 to 5 and 2 to 0 (as houston204 suggested in another post) and then tested it. First set it to cool and it worked and then I switched it to heat and it worked as well. Looks like some educated guessing based on responses that you and houston204 gave to other posts seems to have worked!

Old 12-07-14, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes, being in Phoenix you probably don't need to have the strips. Glad to hear you got the wiring figured out and working properly and thanks for the update!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: