Wiring Honeywell 7500 Thermostat - No Heat

Old 12-09-14, 09:29 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Honeywell 7500 Thermostat - No Heat

I just bought two Honeywell 7500 Thermostats to replace a Luxpro thermostat that just had Heat/Cool/Off and Fan on/off/auto settings.

There are only four wires coming out of the wall - Red/White/Green/Yellow. These were hooked up to the Luxpro to the same named terminals except Red went to RC which was jumpered to RH.

I have wired my Honeywell 7500 exactly the same though Red went to the red labeled terminal which is jumpered to RC. The instructions say to jumper Aux to E if you have no wires to these terminals which I did. I used a piece of fine gauge steel.

I configured the thermostat for a Heat pump with auxiliary heating. The air handlers have electric coils in them. Whenever we used heat with the old thermostat you could smell the burning dust on the coils right away.

My problem is it appears that when I select heat I am getting air conditioning. The air is cold coming from the vents, no burning smell, and after leaving the "Heat" on for 30 minutes the temperature dropped three degrees in the house.

What am I doing wrong? I called Honeywell support three times and have given up. When they asked me if I checked the fuel for the heat pump I knew I was in trouble.

The heat pump brand is Goodman and is only three years old.

Appreciate any help or suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Old 12-09-14, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum!! Normally, for a heat pump the wires are connected as follows:

Red to RC--jumpered to R (24V power for the thermostat)
Green to G (Fan relay)
White to Aux (Auxiliary heat)
Yellow to Y (Cooling)
Another wire for O/B terminal for reversing valve

You need a minimum of 5 wires to properly operate a heat pump with auxiliary heat. One wire is connected to the O/B terminal for the reversing valve. To better assist, can you provide which terminals you have the wires connected to such as:

Red to R
Yellow to Y and etc.

Also, list what settings you have for functions 0170, 0180 and 0190.

Old 12-09-14, 10:18 AM
R
Thanks for the quick response. I am getting frantic.

On the old thermostat when we selected heat you could feel the heat right away. You also got that burning smell of the dust on the heating coils.

There are definitely only four wires.

Right now Red is to Red, which is jumpered to RC.
Yellow is to Yellow
White is to O/B which is also labeled white for conventional
Green is to Green.

The instructions say to jumper Aux to E which I did. Honeywell support said to remove it so right now Aux to E is not jumpered.

Regarding settings.

I tried 170 on both 2 and 7 settings. Not sure I tried 7 with the jumper in though.
There is no 189 setting. If you meant 180 this is no longer configurable with 170 set to 2.
190 is set to 0. I was tempted to try setting this to 1 but I am concerned I might damage the heat pump.

This shouldn't be this hard.

Thanks again.

Old 12-09-14, 10:26 AM
Something seems wrong. With a heat pump you should not be feeling heat right away and you should not have a burning smell of dust. Those factors lead me to believe you are operating only on the electric heat strips. The primary source of heat should be your heat pump condenser outside. The electric heat strips should only come on when it is too cold for the heat pump to warm up the house and when the heat pump condenser goes into defrost mode. During defrost mode the electric heat strips come on to temper the air.

When you set the thermostat to heat does the condenser outside turn on? Also, please post the model number of your air handler and your condenser.

Old 12-09-14, 10:44 AM
R
Wouldn't surprise me. I agree. I had a heat pump previously and they normally blow cool air. Only when things get really cold does the electric heat kick in.

I honestly can't recall if the compressor kicked on or not when we went to heat mode. I live in FL and we only used the heat maybe three times in the past two years.

If it helps the previous thermostat was a Luxpro.

The Compressor outside is labeled Goodman. So are the air handlers inside.

Found the model number for the outside compressors. One is bigger than the other. Upstairs versus downstairs. GSX 130361BA and GSX 130481BB

The upstairs air handler has this model number: ARUF36C14AA

I presume the one in the garage is the same just maybe bigger. I can't get to it very easily but will if it helps.

I never heard of Goodman before. They are located in Texas.

Nothing surprises me with this house.

My wife is going to kill me if I don't get this fixed. Home projects seem to turn into home disasters.

Last edited by RichJr; 12-09-14 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Compressor data
Old 12-09-14, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the model numbers. The condenser outside should be coming on when there is a call for heat from the thermostat. As stated earlier, you need a minimum of five wires to operate a heat pump with auxiliary heat. I just happen to have a wiring diagram in my files that I drew up for a member with the same air handler. I have attached it so you can see how it should be wired to properly operate. In the meantime, if you want to operate only the electric heat strips I will take a look and see how we can get you going. You will need to go into the air handler and see which wire(s) the white wire coming from the thermostat is connected to. You should be able to find a brown thermostat cable with the red, white, green and yellow wires coming out of it.

When your Honeywell thermostat is wired properly (minus the C wire) it should look like the attached photo.

Attached Images   
Old 12-09-14, 11:20 AM
R
I am okay not using the heat strips and just rely on the Heat Pump. Like I said, I live in Florida, actually southern Florida so I really doubt I would ever need the electric heat strips. It might get down to 35 on a very rare occasion. Heat strips are nice in that they heat the place up real quick but I can survive waiting on the heat pump.

I just need to make sure the heat pump is actually shifting into heat mode. So far it seems to remain in a/c mode.

Right now I don't care either way, heat strips or heat pump, just as long as I can get one of them to produce heat. Otherwise, I am in deep doo doo when the wife gets home. This would happen when we are having a cold snap.

Is my configuration setting for the O/B wire correct on zero or should it be set to one? I don't want to break the compressor. Also looking at the diagram you sent it looks like the white wire goes to W2 which in the Honeywell diagram it should go to Aux. Yet the Honeywell folks told me Aux is only for auxiliary heat. Ugh. Guess the contractor who built this house took some shortcuts with the wiring.

Again, thanks!

Last edited by RichJr; 12-09-14 at 11:27 AM. Reason: White wire
Old 12-09-14, 11:37 AM
Well, after you provided the condenser model numbers I have determined a few things that clears up and explains a few things. First of all, you do not have heat pumps! You have conventional a/c condensers. That explains why you don't have more wires at your thermostat. The heat strips are your sole source of heat. They are probably expensive to operate depending on your electric rate per kilowatt. But based on your climate the strips won't be used that often. I have attached an excerpt from the installation manual for your condensers. If you had heat pumps the 3rd character in the model number would be an H. So you will not wire the thermostat as a heat pump. You will wire and configure it as a conventional system as follows:

Red to R
Green to G
White to W
Yellow to Y

Function 0170 to 1
180 to 1
240 to 9

When you set the thermostat to heat the electric strips should come on right away and explains why you first stated instant heat and the smell of burning dust. If you confirm the wiring and configure the settings as outlined you should be good to go and not in trouble with the wife.

Attached Images  
Old 12-09-14, 12:45 PM
R
Oooh that smell! So sweet!! Mama's gonna have heat tonight!

Thank you so, so much! You solved in a few short posts what four people at Honeywell tech support could not after more than two hours on the phone with them.

You are da best! Happy holidays to you!

BTW, I'll probably still be in trouble with the wife regardless.

Old 12-09-14, 01:03 PM
You are very welcome and glad to hear you have some heat! It is not surprising the folks at Honeywell couldn't assist as you were telling them you had a heat pump when it was actually a conventional a/c condenser with electric heat strips for heating. That is a most unusual combination.

Here are some links to manuals for your condenser and air handler:

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/...s/TM-GSX13.pdf
http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/...Os/IO-ARUF.pdf

Happy holidays to you and yours, also!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: