Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

such thing as sub fan coil thermastats with main heat/cool changover thermastat?

such thing as sub fan coil thermastats with main heat/cool changover thermastat?

Old 12-20-14, 06:14 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

is there a such thing as sub fan coil thermastats with main heat/cool changover thermastat? i want to know instead of having heat and cool thermastats in every room of the home for a 2 pipe heat and cool system do they make room thermastats that have a temperature setting and an on and off switch while to turn to heat or cooling there is a main controler that governs all the thermastats and just has heat or cooling and thats it? if you know of any products that do this please send me some links.

Old 12-20-14, 07:14 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If I understand your question correctly, you want a thermostat system with a "master control" of sorts. I found a link but the company is in the UK. I would contact some thermostat manufacturers. I'm disillusioned with Honeywell so I would leave them for last. A company called Nest is trying to make it's mark in the industry. They are expensive but they may have what you want.

855-469-6378.

Old 12-20-14, 08:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I would recommend Honeywell over a nest thermostat.

What thermostats do you have at this time?
Are they high voltage or low voltage?
Are they AC voltage or DC voltage?

If you have standard 24 volt controls the Honeywell Redlink thermostats would be an option to consider. A portable comfort control can be added to control multiple Redlink thermostats from a single remote.

Name:  Honeywell PCC.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  17.4 KB

Old 12-20-14, 09:06 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I just had 2 defective Honeywells straight from the store & I spoke to someone else who had 5 defective Honeywells. A recent poster just had problems with Honeywell Redlink.

Old 12-20-14, 10:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have installed Honeywell thermostats for over 20 years and have had to return 2 to my knowledge. I have installed less than a dozen Nest thermostats and had to return 2.

I believe Honeywell has a much better product with many more options available.

Old 12-20-14, 11:46 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm sure that Honeywell lived up to their excellent reputation, for all those years but something is happening lately. I have a feeling that they are starting to cut corners, on their manufacturing. Time will tell.

Old 12-20-14, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a Honeywell Prestige IAQ on my house and it works great. It has a return air duct sensor, a supply air duct sensor, a water sensor and a pressure switch that monitors a Honeywell mechanical filter wired to the EIM.
It also has a wireless outdoor sensor for temperature and humidity.

I have also wired a humidifier, dehumidifier and outdoor air damper to the EIM on customers homes.

The PCC remote can be used to control multiple Redlink thermostats.

A nest thermostat would not support these extras.

Honeywell is already passed the test of time but nest has not.

Old 12-20-14, 12:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
Unfortunately the trend in a lot of areas seems to be the do-it-yourself centers get inferior products. I was at the Depot last night looking at the Lyric thermostat. It's Honeywell's answer to the Nest. Looks like Honeywell is playing cute with the wiring just like nest. Cute apps and videos.

Old 12-20-14, 02:33 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Honeywell may have passed the test of time so far but time isn't over yet. It's still ticking.

Old 12-20-14, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
http://www.forwardthinking.honeywell..._App_Guide.pdf

I know of the Honeywell SuitePro line of high voltage thermostats designed for 2 pipe and 4 pipe units but I don't see a Redlink model.

Nest only has one thermostat. It looks good but I would not recommend it to friends, family or customers. I only install them when someone asks for one and I discourage them for heat pumps or systems with more than one add on, and they act strangely when common isn't wired to them.

The Honeywell Prestige IAQ will control up to 4 heat/3cool, 4 wired sensors and 3 sets of dry contacts for a humidifier, dehumidifier and outside air damper while only using 2 wires.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: