Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Honeywell Wifi Thermostat, I have two changeover valve wires it has one input

Honeywell Wifi Thermostat, I have two changeover valve wires it has one input

Old 01-03-15, 05:17 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It all works perfectly now and I love that I can monitor and change it from my phone. Thank you so much for your help! And especially for all of your patience on this one.

Old 01-03-15, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
That is great news
I am glad that we were able to offer assistance.

Old 03-03-15, 12:54 PM
C
Hi Houston (or anyone else with some insights). I'm bumping my original thread because it's totally related to the thermostat and this thread has all the relevant setup information.

I'm seeing two problems recurring with my thermostat and not sure if they are related or not.

1. The fan circulation runs a LOT. I have it set the fan to 'automatic' which means it should only run when the furnace calls for heat. The 'circulation' setting says it will run about 35% of the time randomly to keep the air circulated. It's behaving like it's in circulation mode. Now if you remember the heat and cool changeover wires and need for the relay...because of this I had to set my furnace up as a heat pump with auxiliary heat in terms of thermostat setup. So what appears to happen is when the fan is circulating without the furnace running it says its in heat mode, when it actually runs with the furnace it says it's in auxiliary heat mode. The actual white furnace wire is hooked into the aux input as the cooling changeover wire goes into the W/O/B input. Could this be some confusion in the system in running the fan without the furnace as well? My electric bill is up about $40 more than last month because the fan is basically running 35-50% of the time.

2. Issue 2 is a little more strange. I have a program set up to have different temperature points throughout the day. about 7 times now the temperature has dipped below the minimum while 'on program'. As in it's set for 60 during the day and it will dip down to 55 and then i'll get a temperature alert as i did set minimum/maximum temp alerts. However, the strange part is if I go in through the thermostat directly or though the app and just push the temp up one degree effectively taking it out of 'on program' mode and to a temporary temperature setting the furnace kicks right in and it goes back to normal. Any ideas on this?

I'm fine with calling honeywell...however the first two times I called them during the original setup apparently because I bought the pro install version they use that as an excuse to not answer a single question and tell me to call an HVAC technician....

Old 03-03-15, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,481 Votes on 1,369 Posts
Definitely good idea to bump your thread.

I'm looking over your problem. Houston should be by later.

Old 03-03-15, 08:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like both issues could be fixed if we can configure the thermostat to latch stage 2 heat with stage 1 heat.

Honeywell doesn't call this latching. That is a Carrier term.

I asked a Honeywell rep that I was working with on a job about this option but I draw a blank when trying to remember his response.

I would try to enter the View/Edit menu or the Create/Setup menu to get to the heating controls to see if this option is available.

Old 03-04-15, 03:44 AM
C
Interesting. When I go through the menu it is set up as single stage as there is only 1 Y wire connected. It says I should select 2 stages if both Y and Y2 are connected.

Should I select two stage anyways or move the wire from Y to Y2? Thanks.

Old 03-04-15, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think Y2 will help with this problem. We need to latch Aux heat.

Old 03-04-15, 06:34 AM
C
Any ideas how to do that if it currently thinks its single stage heat? Do I set it to two stage even though Y2 isn't connected or maybe put in a jumper so it thinks Y2 is connected? I will look through the setup instructions again. There is no question//setting for latching that I'm seeing at this time.

Old 03-04-15, 07:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the stat configured for heat pump with Aux heat?
I have seen "Finish with high heat" as an option on Redlink stats.

Old 03-04-15, 07:46 AM
C
Yes heat pump with aux heat. I will go through the setup manual which will show all the screen options. When you use the actual on screen setup instructions it only shows you some screens/options based on the selections you are making.

Old 03-04-15, 07:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Create/Setup gives you more options than view/edit but it takes longer to get there.

Old 03-04-15, 08:02 AM
C
Good to know. I will go through again when I get home. Thanks as always.

Old 03-04-15, 08:50 AM
C
Hi Houston,

A few thoughts/questions after going through the user manual.

1. In the System Mode screen, I have it manually set to heat which means it controls heat only. There is an auto setting as well as an interesting one called 'Emergency Heat' the description is that it controls auxiliary/emergency heat but locks out the compressor if you have a heat pump set up. Is that option worth defaulting to during heating season?

2. Fan Setting - currently i have it set to automatic so it should run with heat only. Apparently there is another option to 'Follow Schedule'

3. Number of heating stages: I know in a previous post I said I had single stage heating set up. In the manual it says if you use W and W2 you can set two stage. The W2 input is also the same as the Aux input. It's actually labeled W2/Aux. Should I change the setting to two stage and see if that fixes it? In the manual i don't see any settings mentioned to latch stage 1 and stage 2 specifically...but right now from a setup perspective it thinks its single stage heating.

Old 03-04-15, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Emergency heat is a good option because of the fact that the O/B relay is set for O.

Using a programmed fan setting shouldn't have an effect on this issue.

How is it worded on the stat when you want to add a stage of heat?
If it is going to add a compressor stage (Y2) it would make the problem worse.

Old 03-04-15, 11:39 AM
C
I'm guessing it's not as a separate compressor because the Y2 input is different from the W2/Aux input? Here is a picture of the actual wiring inputs. The manual very clearly states heating stages can be set to two when you use W and W2 (which is also aux input) but number of heat pump compressor stages can only be set to two when using Y and Y2...I am currently not using Y2 so i'm guessing that does not set it up as an additional compressor. It doesn't show the setup screens though so should i try to set it up as two stages of heat and take pictures of each screen to show you?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47515[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 03-04-15, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We are not using W.
We have that terminal set to be O.
You are probably looking at the manual instead of the stat.
As you enter configuration options some options will not appear.

Old 03-04-15, 05:43 PM
C
Ok so I went through setup again. System setup from scratch. If I select heat pump it asks me if I have heat or cool changeover which I set cool as default and then it just asks me the number of heat pump compressor stages Y (single stage) or both Y and Y2 (two stage). If I keep it at 1 stage it just asks if I have backup heat (aux input) and then that's the last screen. No other options.

Only if I change from heat pump to forced hot air will it ask me if I have 1 or 2 heating stages. If I select 2 stage for heat that is the last screen option it doesn't ask any other questions.

One interesting option I see. In the system options tab I have 4 options. Heat, cool, off, and Emergency Heat. The help menu says that emergency heat will turn off the heat pump and heat your house using only the backup heat source. Is backup heat source the same as auxiliary heat? Maybe that's what I want??

Old 03-04-15, 05:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Emergency heat is a good idea.

Old 03-04-15, 06:15 PM
C
Cool. Any risk of it not firing the furnace at all? Just trying to gauge if I should experiment with this setting while I am home during the daytime versus trying it right now and waking up to a freezing house.

My primary cause for concern is there are distinct references to backup heat, auxiliary heat and emergency heat throughout the manual but no definitions on what the differences are. I'm starting to get the feeling they are three terms for the same thing.

Old 03-04-15, 10:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They refer to the Aux/E terminal.

Old 03-05-15, 04:33 AM
C
Well that seems to have done the trick. Thanks Houston! The fan doesn't run all the time now...only with the furnace. Only time will tell if it can continue to maintain temp while in program without issue but I'm hoping that will go away too. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: