Wiring Configuration - adding Common with Zone Valves

Old 12-30-14, 05:11 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Configuration - adding Common with Zone Valves

I went over to the pastor’s house today to install his HW RTH9580WF and RTH6580WF. He has a Weil Mclain Ultra 155 hi-eff gas-fired condensing hot water boiler. Two heating zones. External transformer for two Taco 571 valves. See the attached schematic.

Ttstat wiring had an unused green available. In the schematic, I show the green tie-ins from the tstat to the transformer common. Seemed simple enough.

Then the wheels fell off.

The 6580 allows date/time, even program setup, but it will not look for wifi and it will not show inside temperature at the tstat. Three or four unplug-plugins gave same results. (The unit is OK. I checked it at my home and it plugged in and initialized just fine).

The 9580 initializes and goes through some of the first steps and gives a small message at the lower left that it is “waiting for equipment”. And then it reboots after a minute or so.

Here’s my guess. The Taco zone valves should not be wired as they are. The transformer Load should not run to the middle pins on the valves – it should run to the R at the tstat base. Taco schematics I have seen show it that way. I think the valve controls should be re-wired to have LOAD to Rh/Rc, Common to Pin 2 on valves and Tstats to pin 1 on their respective Valves. Common then would tie in to C from the xfrmr.

The way it is wired now allows Tstat start-up but I think something goes awry when the Taco valve actuates and closes its end switch. I also don’t know if it is related to the Weil Mclain TT connections (they don't use TT on their schematics).

I did check voltages at initial wire up: R to W = 24V, R to C = 24V, and C to W = 0.

Thoughts?

Attached Images  

Last edited by DaveSPE; 12-30-14 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 06:54 PM
D
I think I found part of the answer to my problem. The Taco zone valves can't be wired with Tstat Base R tied to terminal 1 on the valve - IF you want to have continuous power to the Tstat via R thru C. Looking at the Taco catalog 100-3, the valve piston shuffles back and forth ever so slightly when the valve is energized to actuate. It cycles, opening and closing the circuit at a snap switch internal to the valve power head between terminals 1 and 2. When the circuit opens, power to R drops out and the Wifi stat needing power from R resets during this momentary loss of power. The valving should be wired per the Taco schematic in 100-3.

As for the other part of my question, I don't want to assume the T T terminals on the Weil Mclain Ultra 155 act like T T terminals on other boilers, so input on this is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-30-14, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
Your diagram is drawn in-correctly but you seem to have figured out why.
Do you need a new diagram ?

The TT terminals require 24vac to activate the boiler.

Old 12-31-14, 12:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multim...ler-manual.pdf

Is this the boiler?
The diagram looks different than the one that you posted.

Name:  weil mclain.jpg
Views: 11113
Size:  52.8 KB

Old 12-31-14, 04:02 AM
D
Houston - that is the Ultra 155 diagram. I did not pop the 155 cover open to look at the T T connections. Since the system works with the current two-wire stats I wasn't sure if the T T behaved like on other simple gas/oil boilers with an aquastat. But my diagram is of the external zone valving. I was concerned about the proper tie-in to T T. As long as the T T comes from terminals 2 and 3 of the zone valves, does it matter which way the wires are connected? Is there a difference between the T T terminals that would affect operation?

My revised wiring will connect W's at the stat base to term 1 on the valves and xfrmr Load will go to R on the stat bases. Xfrmr C will daisy chain between the valve's terminal 2 and on to T. Term 3 on the valves will remain same to T. Then my new C at the stat base will jump to term 2. I have a revised diagram but not at this PC. Worst case I'm thinking I may have to flip-flop the T T connections to terms 2 and 3 if the voltages look wrong. Does this plan seem OK?

Old 12-31-14, 04:05 AM
D
The diagram is actually the in-field connections. It wasn't working with the new stats and after studying the Taco operation I realized why I was seeing stat misbehavior. See my reply to Houston on my proposed revision. Thanks for the help - again!

Old 12-31-14, 06:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The boiler diagram looks like it has a different transformer for the 2 stat terminals. Do you think that you may have 2 transformers wired to the two boiler T terminals? (R and W)

I originally drew it as you want to connect it until I saw the way 2 and 3 connect to boiler T and T on the taco manual.

I figured that is why the diagram shows everything backwards, with common wired to stat W and transformer power to power head (actuator) C, and actuator W connected to stat R.

It looks odd to see an external transformer connected to the T terminals without an isolating relay. The boiler is already sending power to a T terminal labeled R. Touching R to W will fire up heat to that zone.

I would definitely measure between actuator center and bottom terminals for more than 28 volts before walking away from the job.

Keep us posted with your results. I am sure that it can help many viewers in the future.

Old 12-31-14, 08:20 AM
D
Houston - I sketched up a schematic with how I plan to re-wire the system. The pins 2 and 3 to T T don't really change but I plan to check voltages to ensure a preferred connection. The Taco catalog explains why the two xfrmrs don't interact and it makes sense. The key is for the xfrmr Load/R to go to stat base R and the Valve pin 1 to go to stat base W. Then my Common will always give continuous power to the stat regardless of what the zone valve is doing internally. Thanks, DaveName:  109WashZoneValveSchemFinal.jpg
Views: 4977
Size:  15.9 KB

Old 01-04-15, 03:57 PM
D
This didn't go well. Although the stats saw the continuous power as required, the boiler did not like the T T configuration. I initially connected the T T's as they were originally connected (see schematic in my original post). After nothing happened for a couple minutes of call for heat by the stats, i.e., no circ pumps energized, no boiler flame, just the internal boiler fan, I switched the T T connection. Thank God the electrical designer included fusing in that external T T line or I might have zapped the 155 control board! After a fuse replacement, I rewired zone valving as originally config'd, bailed out and advised to have the service company give it a shot! I'll post what they did to configure it.

Old 01-04-15, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
I think I'd use a relay...... the NO and C contacts to TT and the coil to terminals two and three on the zone valves.

The relay would be in that cloud in your diagram in post 8.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: