Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Honeywell thermostat switches to "Wait" in a gas furnace (with no compressor)

Old 01-01-15, 05:22 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have a Carrier gas furnace with a Honeywell TH9000 series thermostat, what works just fine most of the time. The issue is that when the temperature drops below 30F (as it did this week), it doesn't heat nearly enough, and the temperature in my home stays around 55F (clearly uncomfortable). After much investigation I have conclude that my thermostat is switching to "Wait..." mode at the end of every cycle for several minutes, which means the furnace is working less than half of the time even with very low temperatures.
According to the literature (the thermostat manual and some forums) the Wait... mode is for compressor protection in low temperatures, which is all fine other than for the fact that this is a simple gas furnace, there are no compressors in it!
I don't know where the thermostat gets the idea that my furnace needs compressor protection, but I suspect it is misconfigured.
Am I interpreting this right, and with a gas furnace I should never see a "Wait" status? Is there a way to disable the Compressor Protection mode? Does anyone know how to enter the Installer mode for this thermostat and what the code is for disabling compressor protection?
Thank you!

Old 01-01-15, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,514 Votes on 1,400 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This is a pro stat. Did you install it yourself ?

It comes pre-programmed for forced hot air so someone mis-programmed it.

This is a link to the needed manual. Go directly to page E44 for system programming.
Forward thinking honeywell links- thermostats wifi-9000pdf

Old 01-01-15, 05:51 PM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Here is a link to help you make sure the stat is setup for your system
https://www.forwardthinking.honeywel...69-2815EFS.pdf 3rd item down on page 7 be sure it is set to heat.

Geo

Old 01-01-15, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
If W2 at the stat is connected correctly but this wire is incorrectly connected to C at the furnace it will also give you a Wait display.

I have seen brown connected to W2 at the stat but the same brown wire connected to C at the furnace cause this before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: