RiteTemp 8085C for humidity control

Name:  PICT1301.jpg
Views: 3981
Size:  43.2 KBName:  PICT1304.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  51.0 KBName:  PICT1305.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  51.1 KBQuestion #1
Installed a by pass humidifier picked up 24v from low pressure pigtail. Where can I pick up a common? Board is a Goodman 50V51-290 I don't see a common. There is a "C" but I believe this is for condenser write? Hooked up common to Natural on board I believe this is the 120v side. Now I am no longer getting 24v from pressure switch. If I pick-up common from 24v 40VA transformer powering board (not supplied transformer from HUM). I will have to splice into wiring presently attached (split & re spade) is that typical? Ganging both wires on one spade.
Question #2
I have a ritetemp 8085C thermostat
http://www.ritetemp-thermostats.com/...tion_guide.pdf

I am perplexed by the install guide, has a built in humidistat but can I use it to control my bypass HUM. Only one connection "H" what do I do with the other wire to complete circuit? When I bump up the call for humidity on the stat I get conductivity across H and RH.

Old 01-18-15, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Place the jumper wire between H and R at the stat.
Complete the circuit from the humidifier to the same C terminal that your condenser is using.

Old 01-18-15, 05:26 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So is the blue "C" terminal on the board the same as a common? What do you make of the fact that I am no longer getting 24V of the low pressure pigtail for humidifier yet Error code does not reveal a corresponding code that shows it to be bad. I have not been able to find documentation that is exact to my Goodman OEM board this is the closest match.
http://www.emersonclimate.com/docume.../0037-7115.pdf

Old 01-18-15, 09:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,530 Votes on 1,413 Posts
You will only get 24vac on the HUM lead off the pressure switch on a call for heat when the inducer is actually running.

Old 01-19-15, 06:16 AM
M
That's correct but with a call for heat I no longer am getting the 24V of pressure switch when inducer is on.

Old 01-19-15, 12:24 PM
M
24v Humidifier lead

Is it possible for furnace to function ok but not get 24v from low pressure lead for humidifier. Humidifier was working but now I don't have 24v from this lead however furnace does operate and it appears that switch is being made. No conductivity with furnace off conductivity with furnace on & no voltage what's going on?

Old 01-19-15, 10:11 PM
Group Moderator
I combined your two threads into one as it is on the same topic.

The pressure switch has to change status by passing thru 24vac when the inducer is running.
That means the 24vac must be there.

How are you measuring it ? Should be from that lead to the C terminal on the control board. If it's a Goodman.... it may be from that lead to chassis.... but not always.

Last edited by PJmax; 01-20-15 at 12:13 AM. Reason: combined threads
Old 01-20-15, 05:23 PM
M
Ok, repaired wire crimp I now am back with 24v off brown lead of pressure switch. Getting back to the Rite Temp humidistat and connections, thanks for responding by the way. I ditched the original 5 wire that was existing and ran a 7. Thinking I would no longer run jumper from RC to RH. I know have dedicated blue wire for RC to C and tan for W2 to W2. I was also thinking that the spare wire orange would be used for H at the thermostat. With that being said I am not sure how to proceed. Have brown lead from pressure switch, two wires from HUM solenoid and H at thermostat plus C at board. It all makes sense with typical two wire humidistat. But only H at 8085C thermostat. I have placed a jumper from RH to H so now have two wires on H at stat jumper and return wire back to furnace (not connected as of yet) I am assuming this will be a switched lead. How does 8085C become switch for HUM? Does BRN lead from Pressure switch go to HUM?

Old 01-20-15, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
It's been a long day so I'm not quite following what you are doing BUT Rc and C do not get connected together. Rh is 24vac heat and Rc is 24 vac cool (if you use two different systems or transformers).... otherwise the jumper remains.

As another analogy.... Rh and Rc are like the + of the system while C would be like the -

Old 01-20-15, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Ok..... you need to connect a spare wire to the H terminal at the thermostat.
That same wire connects to one of the solenoid lines at the humidifier.
The other solenoid wires go to the C terminal on the control board.

You can have several wires on C. Just be careful not to leave any strands hanging around to cause a short.

You do not need the HUM wire from the pressure switch.
The H terminal from the thermostat supplies the 24vac to the humidifier on a call for humidity.

Turn power off to air handler when making wiring changes.

Old 01-20-15, 07:46 PM
M
Ok, will proceed with connection for humidifier as explained. But just to be clear 24v for solenoid will be fed from thermostat as stated even with a battery ran thermostat. Also to be clear RC on my stat 8085C does get connected to C on the furnace control board correct???

Thanks for the help

Old 01-20-15, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
The battery operated thermostat has control relays in it. When calling for humidity..... it will close a relay and send 24v to the H terminal from the R terminal.

Rc should stay bridged to Rh. Rc stands for R which is 24v and c which means cooling.

Old 01-21-15, 07:12 PM
M
Thanks, solenoid is now being controlled by thermostat. Judging from what you have explained with respect to the 8085C I should have three wires on RH, a bridge to H, a bridge to RC, and incoming red wire from furnace control board. Having said that I have to assume the connections explained on page 14 of instructions (5 wire) is for a dual transformer system.
For cooling I have two wires from condenser connected to Y and C on furnace control board. Directions are a little misleading. I was using the instructions per page 15 (normal 2 stage system) But it then directs you to go to page 14 for AC hookup.

Old 01-21-15, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
You're not quite following me. You have a solenoid that has two wires.

One wire goes to the C terminal at the control board.
The other wire goes to the H terminal on the thermostat.

That's it.

Old 01-22-15, 03:12 PM
M
PJ,
The install is complete. Humidifier is being controlled by the thermostat as was my original inquiry. What I am referring to in my last post is what I ended up with as a far as connections at the thermostat. Just basically reconfirming on the two jumpers and making sure that the cooling is hooked up correctly for next summer.

Old 01-22-15, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Judging from what you have explained with respect to the 8085C I should have three wires on RH, a bridge to H, a bridge to RC
There should not be a jumper from any R to H !!!!!

If you jumper R to H..... the humidifier won't shut off.

Old 01-24-15, 02:38 PM
M
Current wiring configuration

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: