Taco SR 503 wiring option for 2nd thermostat

Old 02-02-15, 03:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Taco SR 503 wiring option for 2nd thermostat

Is there a way to connect a 2nd thermostat to a Taco SR 503 that will activate a 120v zone pump without turning on the boiler? This is for a small in floor heating loop that will draw from the hot water tank to minimize boiler on time.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...503102-083.pdf

I currently have 1 zone for water radiator heaters and a residential hot water reserve tank on priority.

Thanks

Old 02-03-15, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Hi Jeremy & welcome. I don't think there is a way to prevent the boiler from firing but why would you want to?
If the floor heat zone calls for heat & cools off the hot water tank, you won't have heat to put into the floor.
Isn't the tank temperature controlled by it's own thermostat/aquastat?
How about some pictures of the current set-up?

Old 02-03-15, 02:35 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Currently when the floor loop calls for heat, the boiler will run continually. My thinking was that if I used a hot water reserve looping the return back into the hot water tank it may give the boiler a break. My hot water tank does have an aquastat and will call for heat from the boiler when required. Is my logic completely incorrect?

Old 02-03-15, 03:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Indrect tanks are often used as buffer tanks for in floor heating. Another benefit is you can better control the temperature of the water going to the flloor loop. I don't know of any way to run the loop circ off of the 503 without firing the boiler. I suggest using a simple switching relay such as a Honeywell RA-89A & allowing the tank's aquastat to control the tank temperature & thus the firing of the boiler.

Can you provide some pictures of your current set-up?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: