AC kicks on when furnace kicks on with new Honeywell RTH6580wf

Old 03-24-15, 11:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC kicks on when furnace kicks on with new Honeywell RTH6580wf

I have a gas furnace with central air. Disconnected my old thermostat and hooked up the new one and programmed it and everything. I had to use the blue wire for "C" and made sure the wiring on the thermostat matched the wiring on the furnace.

Before, on the old thermostat when the heater would turn on you could hear it downstairs before the air would start blowing and the AC would not come on. Now the furnace kicks on with no delay and the AC unit outside kicks on as well. After a little bit the AC kicks off and the furnace stays on to blow warm air. I'm stumped on why this is happening. Need some advice.

Old 03-25-15, 01:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,056 Upvotes on 3,639 Posts
Welcome to the forums

When you turn on the A/C.... the blower should start immediately and the air gets cold quickly. When you turn the heat on..... the furnace should preheat before the blower starts.

Did you program the thermostat for system parameters ?

1 ---> 0
3 ---> 0
5 ---> 5
12 --> 0

If you feel you didn't wire the t'stat correctly then we'll need more info like what color wires were connected to what color terminals on old t'stat and where you connected them on new t'stat.

Old 03-25-15, 05:55 AM
J
The system is setup with the correct numbers you posted. This is a picture of the furnace wiring and the thermostat wiring. The extra white and red wires hooked up are for the AC outside.

My friend helped me with wiring it and I am unsure of how the original one was hooked up. I currently have the breaker to the AC off as it blows cold air when the heater kicks on.

Thermostat

Furnace

Old 03-25-15, 05:15 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The wiring appears to be good. Do you have the thermostat set correctly for gas forced air? Sounds like you may have it set for heat pump?

Old 03-25-15, 06:20 PM
J
Yeah I checked the settings on the thermostat and they are set for gas with central air. The old thermostat was battery powered so it did not use the extra wire that was laying inside the wall.

Old 03-25-15, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Please double check your programming.
Step 1 sounds like it's set for 1 (heatpump). It must be set for 0 (furnace).

If it is set for 0 then you have a defective thermostat.

You posted while I was typing. It looks like you'll need to replace the thermostat.
Like Bob mentioned..... your wiring is correct. Nice pictures.

Old 03-25-15, 06:29 PM
J
This is the furnace wiring schematics

Did not notice that this would be small picture on the forums.

Old 03-25-15, 06:32 PM
J
I just checked them again to make sure and it shows the same as what you had posted.

Old 03-25-15, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
The board limits pictures to 50Kb in size. For larger pictures.... they get hosted off the board and linked here.

Old 03-25-15, 07:34 PM
J
So I hooked up the old thermostat and hooked the wires in how they were on the new thermostat and the AC kicked on with the furnace. I asked my friend about the wiring on the old thermostat and he said he unhooked the blue from the W and moved it to C and hooked the white wire into W. I took the white wire out in both spots and hooked the blue back into the W in the thermostat and furnace and the furnace is now working correctly. I think the White wire is BAD and that is what was causing the issues. I am going to leave it the old thermostat on until it croaks, I don't want to run new wiring and I don't have a volt meter to test the white wire. Taking this back to the store for a refund.

Thanks for checking on everything for me, greatly appreciated!!

Old 03-25-15, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
The white wire is not bad. It sounds like you have a splice that you haven't found. If the furnace and A/C worked together.... somewhere the yellow and white are connected.

Old 03-25-15, 08:04 PM
J
Ah ok, well I don't want to go hunting for that wire anytime soon. I will just stay with the old thermostat and leave the white wire disconnected. I could buy a honeywell that runs on batteries and use that without hooking up the white wire as well. I bought the new thermostat because I wanted something that was easy to program and I could control it from my phone while I was out of town or whatever.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: