Trane ComfortLink II with BAY24VRPAC52DA

Old 04-20-15, 08:16 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane ComfortLink II with BAY24VRPAC52DA

Good morning. This is my first post on DoItYourSelf site, but been using this site for years researching issues and has been reliable.

I just purchased a Trane ComfortLink II with BAY24VRPAC52DA relay panel as I do not have a Trane HVAC unit.

I have a single stage Carrier AC in the garage attic and a Weil Mclain oil boiler in the basement.

The oil boiler is a three zone hot water baseboard unit and adding a fourth for an indirect hot water heater this summer.

I have three thermostats in the house, one in the bedroom for heat only, one in the basement for heat only, and one in the kitchen that controls both heating and cooling.

The bedroom and basement was simple upgrade adding the RH, W, and a new C wire and works fine.

I downloaded the manual for Trane BAY24VRPAC52DA relay panel and looked at the different wiring diagrams. I think I found the one that I'm going to use, but not clear on the RC, and RH wires go on the reply panel.

My kitchen has the following wires currently, heating (RH, W, C), cooling (RC, G, Y)

On the relay panel, I see connections for Y=Y1, W=W1, G=G, but the rest is unclear for me and do not want to fry this unit. I see Aux1, Aux1, Aux2, and Aux2 on the panel.

Where do I connect my RC, RH, and C to the panel?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 04-20-15, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Welcome (officially) to the forums.

So you are adding a communicating thermostat and relay panel for the A/C and to control one zone of the heating system (kitchen).

Trane equipment is not designed to be DIY friendly. Is there a particular reason why you choose this setup ?

Rh---> 24v from boiler
W---> boiler heat
C---> boiler common (would no longer be needed)
Rh and W would connect to the N.O. contacts on a relay.
The relay coil of the relay would connect to the relay panel via W1 and B

Rc---> 24v from A/C R
G---> blower G
Y---> A/C compressor Y1
C---> common from the A/C would be needed to power relay panel. B

You would need to mount the relay panel near the A/C air handler and run a two wire cable to the boiler for the heating zone. The relay panel would use the C from the A/C system..... not the boiler. This means you would need a 24vac SPST relay to control heat from the relay panel.

I'm still looking over the wiring. My partner, Houston, may be able to shed a little more light on this too.

Last edited by PJmax; 04-21-15 at 07:30 PM. Reason: corrected mistake
Old 04-20-15, 10:37 AM
C
Thank you for the reply, PJ! I went this option because of the home automation feature. Being a technologist and a DYIer, I wanted to install the best thermostat on the market.

My wife wanted an alarm system installed over the winter and I wanted to do it myself. I researched and wanted to go with Honeywell. I bought and pieced together a Vista 21ip panel with a mix of wired and wireless sensors. I bought two 6280w touchscreens and a Honeywell Tuxedo for Home Automation and configured the entire system.

I then replaced the two, bedroom and basement, thermostats with the Trane 524 touchscreen with Z-Wave built in. This allowed me to control them from the Tuxedo Touch. I added the Schlage Z-Wave locks to my house to match my internal handles. The issue is that I cannot control user passwords through the Tuxedo Touch. Just simple lock and unlock.

I wanted a nice unit to be displayed in the kitchen since it was the focal point in the house and the 950 fix that. I also got a Nexia bridge to connect the 950 to.

My intention is to make the Nexia Bridge primary Z-Wave controller and the Tuxedo Touch secondary.

I will have to get a Nexia monthly account, but was planning on this anyway.

I like your idea about the wiring and will look at this. Instead of the reply panel being in the attic, I will locate it to the basement next to the boiler and alarm panel. I will run an 18/3 wire from the AC in the attic to the relay panel in the basement. Basically what you stated just reversed.

Please let me know once you look closer at the wiring diagrams. I am following you so far!

Just to let you know, I will be adding a Taco ZVC404-4 this summer to control the three currently heating zones and an additional one for the new indirect hot water heater.

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by csnyder79; 04-20-15 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 06:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Yes, but the boiler isolation relay common wire would connect to B on the relay panel.

Seems like the Honeywell Prestige IAQ would have been a better choice.

Old 04-21-15, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks Carlos.... my mistake.

I went back and corrected my post. The oil burner isolation relay will connect to W1 and B as there is no C on the relay panel.

Old 04-22-15, 05:27 AM
C
Good morning, Pete and Carlos! Thank you both for replying last night! I tried to edit my last diagram post and there is no edit button. Please delete thread #4 with the other picture not to confuse others that might use this as a reference for future DYIer's.

I updated my diagram:

Name:  ComfortLink Wiring.jpg
Views: 4666
Size:  23.1 KB

Please approve this and I will use this to wire my setup. I will post once everything is connected and how things are working.

Thanks again!

Chris

Old 10-05-15, 06:38 AM
C
Good morning! I finally rewired my HVAC unit yesterday and connected the heat as its getting colder in NJ.

I followed the diagram as discussed in this thread and just added a picture of the positions on the SPST relay.

Something is not working right with this current setup:

I ran from zone #1 on my new TACO ZVC 405-4 to the zone value with the correct order 1, 2, 3.

I ran another wire from thermostat side of the TACO ZVC 405-4 to switch numbers 2 and 4 on the SPST switch. This is the non switch side.

I ran another (2) wire from numbers 1 and 3 (switch side) to the W1 and B (common) on the relay panel.

When I flip the heat on the thermostat, it says it heating and nothing lights on the TACO ZVC 405-4 for zone 1, but the Air Conditioning Unit kicks on and G, Y on the really board lights up.

When I flip the wires on the SPST relay, I hear a click as soon as I connect the 1 and 3 to the zone valve 1 and 2.

On the TACO zone valves, there are 3 wires, 1 is RW, 2 is W, 3 is ????

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

Chris

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-15, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
On a Taco zone valve....

Terminal 1- switched R from stat aka W
Terminal 2- common
Terminal 3- sends R from terminal 1 out when the valve fully opens.

Terminal 3 is used to start the circulator when the valve is fully opened and hits the end switch.

Name:  Taco - Copy.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  20.6 KB

Old 10-05-15, 01:12 PM
C
Thanks for the update! How would you change my last diagram to get this to work?

Thanks!

Old 10-05-15, 01:26 PM
Group Moderator
Rh 1 of your relay goes to B (common) not R (hot).

So the coil of the relay connects to B (common) to W1 (heat switched 24v).

Old 10-05-15, 04:49 PM
C
Thanks for the update!

I have the coil of the relay connects to B (common) to W1 (heat switched 24v) connected already.

I think that the issue is with the other side.

Can you please let me know all 4 pin locations for the SPST relay?

Thanks!

Old 10-06-15, 01:02 PM
C
Good afternoon. Trying to get this thing to work.

I have to try to figure this out.

I disconnected the AC wiring completely. I only connected the C, RH, W wires directly to the unit. The unit powers back up. I go to turn on the heat on the thermostat. I hear a click from the thermostat. I go downstairs to the relay panel and Y and G are lit on the relay panel and not W.

????

Is there another setting somewhere on the unit or relay panel?? I have normal mode switched on the relay panel.

Thanks!

Chris

Old 10-06-15, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
It sounds like you have the system programmed for heatpump operation. In that case when heat was called for it would turn on the compressor and reversing valve.

You need to look at your heat type settings.

Old 10-06-15, 04:59 PM
C
THANK YOU so much for the tip! Whipped out the installation manual, logged into the unit under system access to installer setup. Went through the setup and it was set for heatpump.

I bought the unit used and should have factory defaulted it in the first time.

Everything works great!

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: