Connecting a duct booster fan

Old 06-02-15, 07:33 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Connecting a duct booster fan

hey all, i have a rental house that we're trying to figure out the best/easiest way to wire a booster fan for a faraway bedroom. the fan is already installed. my BIL tried a sail switch. didnt work. then i found out about using a sensing relay. my confusion is the hookup. ive read about the 24v relay, using 120v, or connecting to the EAC on the furnace board. i had a furnace installed last year, but im working on getting the model/make. then ive read about using a coil for one of them. i was hoping someone could explain the difference between each method, and if there are any other parts needed to make it work. ive read so much, my brain is mush & confused about the whole thing at this point. any help greatly appreciated..... here are the specs for the fan:

Max Boosted CFM:....... 350
Free Air CFM:................ 180
Amps:.............................. 0.75
Housing Length:.............. 6"
dBA:................................ 60/4
Blade Type:.................... Aluminum
Motor: 110 V, Class B, Thermally Protected (T.P.)

Old 06-02-15, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Does the booster fan come with a power cord and plug on it ?
It has no switches on it.... correct ?

You will need a relay to do the controlling but the wiring method depends on the furnace.

You're mixing high and low voltage so certain precautions need to be taken.

Here's how I've handled what you want to do. I set a receptacle using a 4" square box at the booster fan. I bring 120v to this box. I use a 24vac RIB relay which mounts in one of the knockouts on the junction box. I run a piece of 18-2 thermostat cable from the relay to the furnace and connect it appropriately.

You could also set a receptacle near the booster fan and run 14-2 w/GR type NM (romex) cable to the furnace area and tie it in there.

Let me know which idea you like and the make and model of the furnace.

Old 06-03-15, 09:46 AM
C
thanx pete, the booster fan didnt have a plug, it was hardwired into its own receptacle. there no switches. its a suncourt db6gtp. i havent been able to get to the house yet to see the model. all i know is its a goodman furnace. you stated "You could also set a receptacle near the booster fan and run 14-2 w/GR type NM (romex) cable to the furnace area and tie it in there. " where in the furnace area are you tying in?

Old 06-03-15, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
You can either supply power to the unit and add a relay or pick up power from the furnace.

You would run the 14-2 cable to either a junction box at the furnace or even to the service switch if the box is big enough.

Old 06-03-15, 09:50 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I'll point out that duct fans rarely do much other than make noise and use electricity. Maybe yours will make a positive difference but I doubt it.

Old 06-04-15, 01:20 AM
C
furd, heard it a million times. just so happens, it works fine, and not noisy. has been tested. thanx

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: