Ecobee reboot issue

Old 07-16-15, 07:48 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ecobee reboot issue

Has this been resolved and if so could you tell us how?

I'm having the same issues. Ecobee support has asked me to measure the voltage from the transformer when the AC kicks in, but I haven't done so yet. I have an older furnace (from the 1970s I believe) and it has an old 20VA transformer (an old Honeywell AT20B1007 2). My theory is that the transformer can obviously power the AC and fan as it has for decades, but there's probably a short lived spike (or drop) in power as the equipment kicks in and at that point the Ecobee3 loses power and reboots. Such a drop might be hard to detect with a digital multimeter as it'll be very short. I'm wondering if I need to replace the transformer with a newer one and if so if I should upgrade it to a 40VA as well. But I'm also curious to know if you've resolved your issues through other means.

Separated from.... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/th...-c-called.html

Last edited by PJmax; 07-19-15 at 09:07 PM. Reason: started new thread
Old 07-16-15, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Without a doubt..... you should upgrade the transformer to 40va.

Old 07-17-15, 11:18 AM
G
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but last night I checked the voltages at the transformer and I noticed a massive drop when the AC kicked in. Normal with everything off was around 28.2VAC. With just the fan it went down to around 26VAC. But when the AC kicked in the meter read 12VAC at one point, way out of range.

So I tracked down and bought a 40VA transformer and I'll give that a shot tonight. I hope that's it. I'll report back when done.

Old 07-17-15, 08:02 PM
G
Well that sucks. I installed the 40VA 24VAC transformer and the same exact thing happens when the AC kicks in. Not sure what else it could be. Weird. I'll have to see what Ecobee support has to say.

Old 07-17-15, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
If it happens when the condensor is activated..... it's a defective contactor. The coil is going bad.

You can check by removing the two small wires from the contactor. This test should be done with power off to the condensor.

Old 07-17-15, 09:06 PM
G
Thanks PJmax,

So I'm kinda new to this. How would I test this? Do you mean to disconnect the contactor from the 24VAC line and then attempt to run the AC from the thermostat and see what happens? Or is there some other test I can do?

I found this video but it only talks about changing the contactor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keM6kCfOsY8

Old 07-17-15, 09:16 PM
G
Btw, my compressor/condesor is a really old Lennox model. Here's a video someone took of one that is just like mine. He seems fascinated by it. I have to admit I do like mine, it's amazingly quiet. I can be outside and it kick in and I barely notice it, where as when my neighbor's kicks in I tend to go inside.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_jDsCQdqqQ

Anyway, not sure how I'm gonna access the contactor on this thing, I never services this thing. I'll have to take a close look at it tomorrow.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-17-15 at 10:14 PM. Reason: changed link-video must be viewed at you tube
Old 07-17-15, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
Do you mean to disconnect the contactor from the 24VAC line and then attempt to run the AC from the thermostat and see what happens?
That is exactly like I mean. Be sure the AC power is off.

The cover should come off the end where it says Lennox.

The biggest problem with that style was that the fan would suck up crap and blow it into the bottom of the coil.

Old 07-18-15, 06:53 AM
G
It was pretty easy to open that thing up, one big screw right in the middle of the panel and it just slid off. The contactor was behind another metal enclosure but that opened pretty easy too. Can't argue with that!

So I disconnected the two 24VAC connectors leading into the contactor. Interesting thing happened: the Ecobee3 displayed NA for temp and humidity and when I tried to run just the fan nothing happened. That was weird. Why would disconnecting the contactor (Y wire) cause that? Is this how the E3 handles an unexpected configuration change? Do I have to reset it so that it thinks there isn't a Y wire?

At any rate, I put the multimeter on the two connectors that the 24VAC was connected to and found about 20Ohms resistance.With the two main high voltage lines (it's a single pole switch) I found no connectivity until I pressed the middle thing in. Still, it looks pretty weathered and corroded so I'm inclined to change it. Now, to find a place to buy one from.

Old 07-19-15, 08:36 PM
G
Ecobee support had this today:
The best thing to do at this point is to bypass the wires on the wall. Uninstall the thermostat and the sub-base -> bring the thermostat near the control board -> use a different set of wire and let the thermostat control your system while it is near the control board -> check if you get the same issue. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.
I guess they want to rule out faulty wiring. However, this got me to realize that it's possible that my issue is a wiring problem - but not faulty wires but weird wiring.

The PEK lies between the thermostat and the gas valve and between the thermostat and the fan relay. However, the AC compressor lies between the PEK and the thermostat (see diagram below). I'm starting to think that THIS might be the problem. The wires from external compressor don't actually go all the way back to the furnace, they are spliced into the Y cable somewhere between the thermostat and furnace. The PEK however was installed at the furnace so it's quite possible that this weird wiring might be the problem.

Name:  HVAC.jpg
Views: 7156
Size:  14.7 KB

Not sure what voodoo the PEK does to create that "virtual" 5th cable, but somehow it must allow some current to flow back along one or more of the W, G and Y cables. It's possible that my wiring is not compatible with how the PEK works (nope, wasn't me who wired it this way - I bought this mess). So I'm gonna have to do some rewiring to see if that's indeed the issue. Which is probably a good thing because the way it is right now looks rather sloppy anyway. Ugh!

Old 07-19-15, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
I split your thread from the original one because at this point we were hijacking it.

Looking at your diagram..... something is wrong. You can can't connect the A/C compressor to two Y connections. It needs Y and C to operate.
The PEK is an ecobee part..... did you install it ?

I redrew the wiring diagram but it's still not correct. You show C to the PEK but how does that help anything ?

Name:  53593d1437362942-ecobee-reboot-issue-hvac.jpg
Views: 8590
Size:  17.9 KB

I would pull the PEK and run at least 5 wires to the stat. 7 would allow for future changes.

Old 07-20-15, 07:20 AM
G
Good call on splitting out this thread.

Yep, the Power Extender Kit (PEK) is an Ecobee3 accessory that actually comes with the E3. And yes I have it installed and the E3 does power up as it should and can run the fan & furnace.

Yes, the wiring with the AC always seemed a bit wrong to me and yes, your diagram illustrates how I think it should be. Using a 5+ wire cable would be the better solution, but for now I'd like to get the PEK to work. I'm just not sure what will be involved with pulling a new cable, really not looking into tearing apart drywall at the moment. Still, I can always do what Ecobee support suggested and just hook up the E3 right at the furnace itself. This way I can easily use a 5 wire setup and eliminate the need for the PEK.

Old 07-20-15, 09:57 PM
G
Cool Great Success!

So I rewired it so the wiring looks more like your schematics and the Ecobee3 now works fine. I'm guessing the PEK was detecting something strange and probably went into a protective shutdown mode, thus rebooting the E3 thermostat. So it seems that I never needed the 40VA transformer. Oh well, luckily they're not very pricy.

Hopefully this thread will help others with similar problems. Thanks for the help PJmax!

Old 07-21-15, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
You're welcome. Put the transformer in stock. You never know when you may need it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: