Honeywell prestige thermostat / 2001 Trane tue100a984k3

Old 09-08-15, 08:14 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell prestige thermostat / 2001 Trane tue100a984k3

I am trying to hook up a honeywell prestige thermostat (THX9421R5127WW) with the wireless eim to a 2000-2001 model year trane tue100a984k3 with single stage heat and cool. I am getting power to the EIM and Thermostat from the Trane (R,C from Trane to R,C of EIM) and can connect the thermostat to the eim. During setup of the thermostat I tell it single stage heat and cool, residential ...

The trane has Y,W,T,G,C and has an aprilaire 550 humidifier hooked up to the C and W of the trane. the outside condenser is hooked up to the Y and C of the trane. The old thermostat is a Chronotherm IV which is hooked up to the R,W,Y,G of the Trane

I disconnected the old Chronotherm IV and used the R and C wires to the EIM and then took an R and C from the EIM to the trane. Then went from the Y,G,W on the Trane to the EIM. I am getting power to the EIM and Thermostat from the Trane (R,C from Trane to R,C of EIM) and can connect the thermostat to the eim. During setup of the thermostat I tell it single stage heat and cool, residential ...

Then nothing happens.. the lights on the EIM light up saying fan,power and cooling all active.. but its no go on the trane!?

It was getting hot so I hooked the old Chronostat back up and its humming away I did not chaeck voltages on the eim to see what it was doing, I guess that will be my next step - but before I do that - is the Trane compatible with the Prestige? I dont see any reason why it would not be. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-08-15, 08:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Did you wait over 5 minutes with a cooling demand present?

Did you write down the old wire to terminal combination used?

Old 09-09-15, 03:54 AM
D
Houston204 - Thanks for the reply. I hooked it up (minus the sensors) exactly as shown in the image. I have attached the before pics. Also the Red LED to the left on the control board flashes constantly which on the wiring diagram says "normal"

I may have a little more time tonight to rehook it up and see what happens. I will also test the voltage on the EIM between the R from the Trane and G to the Trane.

Attached Images   
Old 09-09-15, 10:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would double check that furnace R connects to 3 R's at the EIM.

The factory jumpers may be missing.

Old 09-09-15, 11:44 AM
D
Will do - thanks! And that might explain why the stat and eim received power but not the rest of the eim board contacts.

Old 09-09-15, 07:16 PM
D
great advice houston. turns out i had pushed the jumper out of position so it was no longer in contact with the terminal.

first i checked the continuity of each wire and then from the eim terminal block to the other end of the wire. all wires checked out good until red. once i reset the r rh rc jumpers all was well.

thanks again!

Old 09-10-15, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is great news

Maybe I should pick up a lottery ticket

Old 09-10-15, 01:14 PM
D
Good luck on the lottery! New question - So where would I put the humidfier? Its an aprilaire 550 evaporative (I think)- manual humidity control on a dial thats in the return air. Its wired to the heat and common. the valve opens when hear it called for.. I have seen it wired to both the s terminals and the u terminals in the eim. I want the Honeywell stat to control it based on what I set it at in the tstat.. Is there anyway to make it auto based on the outdoor temp sensor?!

thanks

Old 09-10-15, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Add a jumper wire between the R's and one of the U1 terminals.

Connect the remaining U1 terminal to the humidifier.

Connect the remaining humidifier wire to C (24volt common)

Old 09-10-15, 04:23 PM
D
thanks! its already on the common at the trane. i am assuming i can just leave it there and just move the other wire to u?

Old 09-10-15, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, and add a jumper to the remaining U1 terminal from R.

Old 09-11-15, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would remove the old humidistat from the humidifier circuit.

A wire nut would work if it is only a 2 wire humidistat.

Old 09-14-15, 06:33 AM
D
works like a champ.. common from humidifier to common on trane - jumpered u1 to R on eim, and then the other u1 on eim to humidifier. Can now all be controlled from Tstat! What would be really sweet is if the tstat would read the outdoor sensor and then set the humidity accordingly.. but I think I will need to set the humidity based on the outdoor temperature.. but at least I can do it from the tstat and will not have to go to the furnace (thats where the humidistat was) to make the adjustment.

Old 09-14-15, 08:14 AM
B
What would be really sweet is if the tstat would read the outdoor sensor and then set the humidity accordingly..
It (sort of) does.
There is a feature on the prestige called "window protection". It uses the outdoor temperature to limit the humidity on colder days. You must have the outdoor temp sensor connected to enble window protection.

Old 09-14-15, 12:46 PM
D
Thanks Bob! I did see that and I do have the outdoor temp installed. So I suppose I could set it at 50% and then turn on window protection and then when it gets cold, it will drop the humidity. Good deal!

I have also been emailing back and forth with Honeywell about getting them to add more info that is in the stat to the website and mobile app - Detla T, run time, temp.. etc.. more like ecobee. So far for the $249 I spent, this has been a great deal!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: