Honeywell DuroZone Thermostat - Programable Replacement Options

Old 10-04-15, 10:58 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell DuroZone Thermostat - Programable Replacement Options

I have a 15 year old home with two installed Honeywell DuroZone thermostats (upstairs and downstairs) and a controller module mounted on the furnace labeled "SMZ-2SW Two Zone Panel with Damper Switches Item #35226". From what I can tell, the upstairs thermostat has six wires that connect to it and the downstairs thermostat has three wires that connect to it. I've attached pictures of everything to this posting.

I'd like to replace the thermostat(s) with a programmable system but I'm not sure what to look for from a compatibility standpoint. My only requirements are that I'd like to be able to manage temperature throughout the day (i.e. cooler overnight) and it would be nice to be able to manage both zones from a single controller. It would be really nice to have a system that could switch from cooling to heating on it's own. The other bells & whistles (e.g. wi-fi connectivity, etc...) are strictly optional.

Any recommendations? Or at least tips on what to look for? Is it as simple as "how many wires" it needs? Do I need ONE programmable thermostat or TWO (i.e. upstairs and downstairs)? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Attached Images     
Old 10-04-15, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not real familiar with your system but will check into it for you. My partner, Houston, may know it. Either way we'll get you going in the right direction.

It would be really nice to have a system that could switch from cooling to heating on it's own.
In theory it sounds like a good idea but during a change of seasons with wide outside temperature swings it may change states without needing too. It may bring the A/C on when it's not needed.... and the same for heat.

Old 10-05-15, 07:49 AM
F
Thanks

Thank you, I'm looking forward to what you find out!

Old 10-05-15, 04:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts

Your 3 wire thermostat can be easily replaced with a battery operated thermostat like a TH6110D.

The Zone 1 thermostat will be a little more difficult since it requires a thermostat with a B terminal and an O terminal.

A Honeywell TH6220D would work for zone 1, with the addition of a double pole / double throw relay that has a 24 volt coil, since it does not have separate O and B terminals..

White Rodgers has had thermostats separate O and B terminals in the past.
Some models may still be available...

Old 10-05-15, 07:07 PM
F
Well first I want to say thank you very much for tracking down and providing all of the great info. That being said (and as very technical guy at least in IT) I have to say that I'm pretty confused and overwhelmed. There seems to be a lot of choices that have to be made based on criteria that I don't have very much knowledge or background about.

For example, on the White Rogers 1F95-1277 diagram, what are all of the "other" letters (e.g. "Y2", "6", "C", etc...)? How do I know what I'm supposed to do with all of those and whether they matter or not? Even your statement that "A Honeywell TH6220D would work for zone 1, with the addition of a double pole / double throw relay that has a 24 volt coil, since it does not have separate O and B terminals" is confusing. Where do I get a coil like that and how does it get hooked up for example?

The bottom line I think is that this doesn't seem as simple as buying the "right" compatible thermostat and connecting blue-to-blue, red-to-red, etc... as I was expecting. Assuming that to be true, what's the next level of help to engage? Do you call a furnace technician to install something like this? If so, any idea on what the cost should be (for the installation portion)? I'm just thinking that this may be a "rabbit hole" I don't want to go down on my own, lol. Thanks.

Old 10-06-15, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
That 1F95-1277 is still available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Connect:
G to G
Y to Y
O to O
B to B
W to W/E
R to RC and RH

Disregard the remaining terminals if you did not use them on the old thermostat.

Old 10-07-15, 10:05 AM
F
Now that's directions that I can follow. THANK YOU!

Old 10-07-15, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
I've installed that stat. The blue glow is easy on the eyes at night. Good choice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: