24 V wifi stat for baseboard heaters

Old 10-12-15, 12:55 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
24 V wifi stat for baseboard heaters

I have electric baseboard heaters at our cabin which are controlled by an old style mercury dial thermostat. The heaters are wired to 240 Volts but there's a 24 volt relay which allows to use the low voltage stat. I would like to use the Honeywell rth6580wf stat which requires the "C" wire. It says on the package that this thermostat is not compatible with electric baseboard heat (120 -240 V), however, I figured that since a low voltage mercury stat works now, I may be able to use a "smart" thermostat if I can get around the "C" wire issue and power the unit some other way. I was thinking to buy a 110 to 24 V transformer and simply plug the stat into a wall outlet as a way to power it. Alternately I was wondering if I can get get a different relay that comes with a "C" wire. Thanks in advance !

Old 10-12-15, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,952 Votes on 2,664 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The easiest way to solve that problem is to add a control relay/transformer combo. This device has switching contacts for the heater and three terminals including C to run a 24v thermostat.

Aube-RC840T-240-Switching-Electric-Transformer/dp/B0037MXM1C

You could also do the same thing with your current relay and transformer if you can get to the wiring between them.

With either method you'll still need a third wire for C from the controls to the stat.

Old 10-20-15, 06:09 PM
G
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If your low voltage mercury thermostat works now, doesn't that imply there already is a 24V transformer?

There should be two wires going into the mercury thermostat. Label one "Rh" and the other "W". Rh is the one that goes to the transformer, and W is the one that goes to the relay. Now find the other output wire of the transformer (same as the other input wire of the relay) and label it C.
Name:  thermostat.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  36.0 KB
Then remove the old thermostat, and connect the Rh, W, and C to the new thermostat.
Somebody please double check me.

Old 10-20-15, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Without seeing the OP's wiring.... it's pretty hard to assign colors. Your diagram is correct but we don't know if the colors used are as you show.

Old 11-30-15, 07:50 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJMax, I bought the Aube relay and installed it. Had a lot of fun running a 4 wire cable to it, but got it done. It works great now. Much appreciate the Advice!!
Krys.

Old 11-30-15, 08:25 PM
Group Moderator
Awesome part ! Great job. Thanks for letting me know how you made out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: