Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Replacing Carrier Thermostat 960-120032-2 with Honeywell RTH9580 wi-fi

Old 10-22-15, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I just purchased my first house and it has a carrier thermostat 960-120032-2. I have no idea what the model number is, but this is the number I found inside the cover. It actually took me a long time to try to figure out how to get to the wires. The house has, I believe, a 2 zone system (I see 2 furnaces, 2 a/c's, 2 thermostats).

I purchased the Honeywell Wi-Fi RTH9580 thermostat for the smart functions.

So I read and read online, installation looks quite easy...until I actually open up my original carrier thermostat and I see only 2 wires connected. There is a red wire connected to "V+", and a green wire connected to VG. The other 2 wires (a yellow and a white wire) are not connected, and are tucked in the back in insulation.

Please tell me how can I get this new honeywell system to work. Thanks so much for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-15, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 448 Posts
That is the model It's called a communicating thermostat. It sends all data over two wires.

Do you have a heatpump or A/C with gas furnace ?
We're going to need the model number for your air handler/furnace.

Old 10-22-15, 02:39 PM
Hi PJmax,

Thanks for the info...I have a/c with a gas furnace. The outside a/c condenser model number is PA10JA030-C (googling it, it looks like it's made by Payne), and I have a Bryant condensing gas furnace, model 340MAV. Above the furnace is the evaporator coil system, and the model number for that is CK5BXA036017AAAA. Thanks again.

Old 10-22-15, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
That's a partial model number for the furnace. The full number is on the ID tag next to the burner on the side wall behind the access cover.

From what I can see.... I don't see a communicating board with that furnace. It may have been added on. I see regular identified terminal strip on the control board.

Can you look around the furnace and see if you can spot a box or board where the thermostat connects to ? It may have the Carrier name on it. Maybe Carrier Weather Maker.

Do you have zoning in the house.... multiple stats ?

Old 10-22-15, 04:35 PM
Yes, you are right, the full model number of the furnace is 340MAV048060.

I tried to look for board/box...I found a box that says "Carrier", with a FirstEnergy sticker on it that says "if you plan to service this unit, please contact us at...". The box had an antenna on it, and was attached to a duct near one furnace. The other furnace also had the same box. I couldn't open the box (I didn't know how to). I opened the furnace cover up and I noticed how the wires from the box ran to the switch that turns the thermostat on/off, and then it also ran with the multi colored wires (red, green, white, black, blue, orange, etc.). Thanks.

The house has 2 thermostats that I can tell, one is on the first floor in the formal dining room, and the other is in the second floor, in the master bedroom.

Old 10-22-15, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry.... you did mention two systems which would rule out a zoning system.

That control box allows the First Energy utility to probably shut down your A/C system on a high energy demand day. As far as I'm aware.... you need to be a willing participant in that setup.

I don't know if you can just remove it and wire around it. I looked at First Energy's website for your state and saw no mention of any load shedding device. It looks like they discontinued many of their energy saving programs in the end of 2012.

Can you post a picture of the box ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

One problem that arises is that you will need more wires between the stat and the furnace. Probably 5-6.

Old 10-22-15, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/100...p-pac-07si.pdf

The only thermostat that I can remember with those 2 terminals from Carrier is the Edge thermostat. The EIM should be located near the furnace.

Name:  Carrier Edge Thermostat.jpg
Views: 12461
Size:  34.1 KB

Last edited by Houston204; 10-22-15 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
I was reading earlier in Toledo/First Energy's program and they also list this Cool Share program. It may no longer be in effect in your area but see if this is your stat.

https://www.nvenergy.com/home/saveen...ier_manual.pdf

Old 10-22-15, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
It is odd that I also got that picture when I typed in that number.

I figured that it was actually a tstatccpac-01 programmable or a tstatccnac-01 non-programmable thermostat.

Perhaps that thermostat just isn't very common in my area.

Old 10-23-15, 06:24 AM
Hey guys, I'm the OP...I was having trouble logging in via my FB multiple times, so I just created an account. Yes, PJmax, that link you sent me looks like the thermostat that I have.

The house I moved to is located in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. I can upload a picture of the box with antennae later on today.

So do you think I can install this honeywell smart wifi stat? I need to add 5-6 more wires than the already unused 2 that are behind the current stat? Do you think I need to call a professional to install the honeywell? If so, what should I call and tell them I need to get some quotes? I was really hoping that I could do this myself since I do a lot of DIY.

So because I have 2 furnaces and 2 a/c condenser units, I don't have zoning in the house? Sorry for the multiple questions, but besides basic stat installs and regular HVAC maintenance, I really don't know much about this topic.

Last edited by CPMD79; 10-23-15 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
You should be able to install it yourself. Now that we've determined you had the cool share program you should be able to remove that control box or even just un-wire it if you can't get it open.
You currently have a four wire cable. You will need 5 or 6 total wires. You can run the additional colors or replace the cable. Replacing the cable is recommended as it eliminates duplicate colors.

We'll be back later tonight to go over the wiring.

Old 10-23-15, 03:22 PM
Name:  IMG_5321.jpg
Views: 7368
Size:  15.5 KBName:  IMG_5322.jpg
Views: 7060
Size:  20.2 KB

Here are the pics as promised...sorry that they aren't better, but there is very little clearance between the box and the wall. The lower pic shows the brown wires coming out of the unit, as well as an antenna.

I need some confidence...I've never done anything this extensive regarding adding wires/replacing cable in HVAC. Is this too hard to do? So I would have to add wires/replace cable to both 1st floor and 2nd floor thermostats?

Old 10-23-15, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
You'd only need to run lines to the second floor if you planned to replace that stat too.

Here's the manual for your furnace. Download it now so you have it for future use.
hvac partners/docs/1009/Public/07/II340M-40-13.pdf

Here's a basic diagram of your wiring. You will be connecting the five colored wires.... green, yellow, blue, red and white from G, Y, C, R, W at the furnace to the same at the stat. You will removing the Carrier control wiring from those same terminals.

Name:  340MAV.JPG
Views: 35917
Size:  39.9 KB

You can open the blower compartment, take a picture of the control board wiring and post it.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 10-23-15, 08:28 PM
Thank you for your help and this diagram. How do I run lines from the first and second story Thermostat down to the basement? Where do I buy the replacement cable? So you are saying I should replace all the wires? I think it might be easier for me to just add the few lines I need.

I am a bit lost because I don't understand the relationship of the carrier control box with my system. man...I was really hoping for an easy swap, but this seems complicated. But I am willing to give it a shot, as opposed to paying someone to do it.

Old 10-23-15, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
That Carrier control box, supplied and installed by your power company, is a wireless control override for your system. The power company could, at will, curtail your A/C usage in exchange for a lower rate. Read the link I previously posted. It explains the system and savings. It looks like your PoCo no longer uses it.

Are you installing two new HiFi stats ? A regular battery operated stat for the second floor wouldn't need any wiring changes.

Running wires can be easy or hard. Hard for me to help you much as I can't see what you have there. Usually, if the basement is open, you can easily run the first floor wire thru the basement and up the wall.

Places like lowes or the depot carry #18-2 conductor thru #18-7 conductor thermostat cable. Sometimes off a roll. Sometimes by prepackaged coil.

Old 10-24-15, 07:58 AM
Thank you so much for your help. I would like to install 2 new wifi thermostats. Just to be clear, are you saying that I don't have zoning because I have 2 furnaces and 2 a/c condensers, along with 2 thermostats (one on first floor and the other on second floor?).

In my research online, I came across this item and I would like to see if this would make my install a lot easier: Venstar ACC0410 Add-A-Wire for all 24VAC Thermostats.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I do have a red and green wire connected to a stat, and the white and yellow ones were not connected.

If this would make my install a lot easier, I would buy it. Again, thanks for your help.

Old 10-24-15, 08:28 AM
Group Moderator
Zoning is where you have multiple thermostats controlling one furnace-A/C unit and the duct work has motorized air dampers in them.

Yes... you can use that 4 to 5 wire adapter.

Old 10-28-15, 01:41 PM
Ok, I've watched the install youtube video on the Venstar add a wire. I've also taken pictures of my control board wiring, as well as the back of my current thermostat, and also the current connected wires from wall to thermostat (please note the unattached white and yellow wires behind the thermostat.

Regarding the furnace circuit board, in addition to the white Com wire, and the yellow Y wire, why are there additional red wires attached at those terminals? (this looks different from the venstar add a wire youtube install video).

I just really want to make sure I don't mess this install up. I appreciate all of your patience!
Name:  stat0.jpg
Views: 7299
Size:  34.7 KBName:  stat1.jpg
Views: 7451
Size:  24.6 KBName:  stat2.jpg
Views: 7204
Size:  29.0 KB

Old 10-28-15, 10:49 PM
Group Moderator
It's good you checked in. You have a four wire cable from the current stat location to the Carrier control box. (the box with the antenna) You will be removing the wiring from the furnace to that box.

You need to determine how you are going to get the wiring from the stat to the furnace. If you can't open the Carrier box.... you can cut the two cables going to it. There will be a four wire cable from the stat into the box and a second four wire cable from the box to the furnace. There may be an additional red wire connected to the C terminal and going to the box. You'll be splicing those 2) four wire cables together.

Look at the Y terminal. There is a yellow and red wire on it. Follow the red wire into it's cable. There should also be a white wire from the C into that same cable. That cable goes to the outside A/C unit and will remain as connected.

Let me know if this is clear and you understand it..... then I'll post the wiring diagram for you.

Old 10-30-15, 04:42 PM
Thanks for your continued help. Just to be clear, for my situation, it's a 2 step process. 1) remove carrier control box wiring and 2) wire stat to furnace (is this correct?)

I have contacted first energy and they gave me a contact number for honeywell to remove that carrier control box. I really don't feel comfortable removing those wires, and they should be responsible to remove that carrier box.

after removing that carrier box, I can just use venstar add a wire to add a wire to furance/stat.

please let me know if this is the correct thought process.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 11-02-15, 08:53 AM
Please help...I would hate to have to call an hvac tech to come out to do something that I would possibly do, thanks!