WiFi thermostat on US stove 5660?

Old 10-26-15, 04:29 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
WiFi thermostat on US stove 5660?

I have a US stove company 5660 pellet stove (about 2 years old, so it doesn't have the thermostat built in). I'm really trying to get it hooked up to a WiFi thermostat so I can control the heat from work because I'm unnecessarily burning through a LOT of pellets while the house in unoccupied and if I turn it down while I'm gone then the house is freezing by the time I get home.

My stove has 3 terminals available for a thermostat connection (+5V, thermostat and GND).

I've seen a lot of forums that people are asking about other specific pellet stoves being hooked up to WiFi thermostats, but after contacting USSC they said they don't know, as did Honeywell. The forums I've read had made mention of a 24v transformer making this connection possible.

I also have a thermostat currently connected to my central AC that, again, if possible, I'd like to combine with the pellet stove to have one thermostat for both. The wires going into that are connected to the G, Y & R terminals with a jumper from R to RC.

Any help with this project would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Old 10-26-15, 07:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Name:  Pellet Stove 5660.jpg
Views: 7300
Size:  30.1 KB

While you can often remove the jumper between Rc and R and connect the furnace to R and W... I am not sure from this diagram if the terminals 2 and 3 translate to these terminals.

It is probably more of a proportional signal.

We don't have pellet stoves in my part of the country.
Perhaps PJ has some insight...

Old 10-26-15, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
It's pretty strange to have a 5vdc voltage available unless they offer their own specialty thermostat. It looks like any relay switching stat will work. The following text is from the company.

The thermostat option will require the installation of a millivolt type thermostat.

Installation of Remote Thermostat:
• Disconnect Pellet Stove Room Heater unit from power supply.
• Open right side panel to gain access to rear of control panel.
• Strip insulation from thermostat wires and connect to the screw terminals on the rear of the control panel (see picture).

If you have installed a remote thermostat for your pellet stove and wish to have the heater controlled by that thermostat, depress the MODE button to engage T-STAT mode. The thermostat will control the heat output of the heater alternating between the lowest heat level and the highest heat level that you have pre-selected.

The T-STAT mode provides the most even heat output, for better comfort, and to extend the life of the pellet fuel ignition system. Additionally, the constant flame serves as a warning for people and pets to keep away from the heater while it is in operation.

Name:  5660-1.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  38.3 KB

You'll need to use a separate 24vac 10-20va wall wart connected to Rc and C.
The stove will connect to W and Rh.
** The Rc-Rh jumper must not be used on stat and 5v terminal is not used on board **

Old 10-27-15, 03:26 AM
M
Thank you PJ, I'm just confused with what you said there. You said it would need a separate 24v part supply, but where would I get that from? I'm assuming the transformer.

I'm also guessing that since this setup is connected to both the Rc and R terminals on the thermostat, I wouldn't be able to use the same thermostat to control my central AC, correct?

And I know about the millivolt thermostat, but all of them seem to be the old style thermostats with no WiFi capability. Would this setup correct that and allow me to use a digital one, such as the Emerson Sensi WiFi thermostat? That actually has its own power source (batteries), for the thermostat at least.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 10-27-15, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Leave the air conditioner R connected to thermostat Rc.

Remove the jumper between R and Rc.

Connect stove terminal 2 to thermostat R and connect 3 to W.

Configure the stove to be controlled by a thermostat via the Mode button.

Old 10-27-15, 05:14 AM
M
Would that provide enough power to the stove by wiring it up like that? I think I tried that same configuration with a regular Honeywell thermostat and it didn't seem to work.

Old 10-27-15, 06:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be the same as putting a jumper wire between terminals 2 and 3. The thermostat would not provide power only a completed circuit.

Old 10-27-15, 06:53 AM
M
OK I'll give this a shot, I'm not sure if this is the setup I tried previously. I may have done one wire from the +5v terminal and 1 wire from the THERMO terminal to the thermostat last time. That definitely didn't do anything. Any particular gauge of wire that should be used if the thermo is about 20 feet away (would be roughly 35 feet of wire through the attic)?

Old 10-27-15, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
I also have a thermostat currently connected to my central AC that, again, if possible, I'd like to combine with the pellet stove to have one thermostat for both. The wires going into that are connected to the G, Y & R terminals with a jumper from R to RC.
I missed that. I though you were doing a new installation for the stove only. In your wiring description you don't mention a C connection.... did you just forget to mention it ?

Any two conductor cable will work. Two conductor thermostat cable is 18-2 and is fine for that.

Old 10-27-15, 10:22 AM
M
No I don't have a C wire at all.

Old 10-27-15, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Which stat are you using ?

Old 10-27-15, 10:36 AM
M
I'm trying to find out if I can do one that has WiFi capability. Without the C wire available it definitely narrows down my choices. The one I like that seems possible is the Emerson sensi WiFi thermostat which is battery powered.

Old 10-27-15, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
The nest is another that doesn't require a battery.

I'm not sold on a WiFi stat that doesn't use a C connection. Too many issues with keeping the internal battery charged.

Old 10-27-15, 10:56 AM
M
Is that Venstar add-a-wire any good for a hookup that requires a C wire? I'm not crazy about the nest, because it doesn't seem to have great reviews from people I know that have used it.

Old 10-27-15, 11:09 AM
M
I just received this email from Sensi regarding that WiFi thermostat: (quite lengthy, but detailed)

Thank you for contacting Sensi Technical Support. *Please review the attached manual that appears to be for your pellet stove. *Pages 10 and 32 specifically reference adding a thermostat. *Please note their suggestions. *

If the stove thermostat is designed to operate as a switch, meaning it just closes terminals "+5V" and "Thermostat," then you can use Sensi with a couple of modifications. *However, the wiring diagram on page 32 shows that "Thermostat" and "GND" close on a call for heat. *It's likely that the diagram is mislabeled, but you would have to confirm with the manufacturer to be sure.

If "+5V" and "Thermostat" close on a call for heat, you can add an external transformer to allow your 5V stove to be compatible with a 24V thermostat.*

Install a separate 24 volt plug-in transformer and run one wire to "RC," and the other wire to "C" (common) on Sensi.*

Next, attach the system wires from your stove terminals to Sensi. *The wire from "+5V" will connect to "RH" on Sensi. *The other wire attached to the stove terminal "Thermostat" will connect to "W/E" on Sensi. *Finally, be sure to cut the jumper on the back of the thermostat above the battery compartment.

Please also keep in mind that while we can assist with making Sensi compatible with your stove, temperature control may not be as precise as with the recommended millivolt type thermostat. *Temperature control can be affected by the location of your thermostat and the speed of temperature change. *

To use the Sensi for your cooling system with current wiring of R, G and Y, it will be necessary to add a common or "C" wire to maintain constant Wi-Fi connection. *A "C" wire is necessary on heat-only or cool-only systems. Without a "C" wire installed, the Wi-Fi connection will automatically drop off after about two hours to preserve the batteries because it is not connected to a constant power source.

Please consider checking out our website with more information about the common wire: https://sensicomfort.com/cwire/. Below are a couple options for adding a "C" wire to Sensi.

First, check to see if you have any extra, unused wires behind your old thermostat. If you have an extra wire, attach it to the "C" terminal on your system, and the "C" terminal on Sensi.

If you do not have an extra wire, you can run a new wire to your system and to Sensi. The wire will attach to the C terminal on your system, and the "C" terminal in Sensi. You may consult with an HVAC professional if you do not feel comfortable installing the new wire.

I forwarded it to US stove company to see if they think its possible too, but any input?

Old 10-27-15, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Yes... that add a wire will work.

I thought we explained it above. The 5v connection is NOT used. You need a stat that closes the stat line to ground. I even labeled the diagram W(terminal1) and R(terminal 2) for you.

Old 10-27-15, 06:29 PM
M
I hooked up the thermostat wires like you said and it seems to work for controlling the heat. I tried to see if it would turn the pellet stove on if it was completely off, but it would not. Any idea what I could do to fix that?

Old 10-27-15, 10:48 PM
Group Moderator
Please go back and read post 3. Especially the part I highlighted in red.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: