Need help wiring Prestige IAQ for dual fuel

Old 11-08-15, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help wiring Prestige IAQ for dual fuel

Ok.. I'm getting into the final stages of getting my dual fuel setup and need some help wiring in the Honeywell Prestige with a York 90 furnace and Rheem RP14 heat pump.

Here's how the heat pump is wired..

Here's what the install for the IAQ shows for the EMI.

The IAQ install manual is very vague. so can someone tell me how my wires from the heat pump ... Remember this is a Rheem, so I think the reversing valve is backwards for heat...

Pic of EMI:

Can anyone tell me what wires go to which terminal on the EMI?

Thanks!!

Old 11-08-15, 11:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I do not see the furnace terminals.

Old 11-08-15, 12:11 PM
Please ignore the current wires connected to the furnace... They're still hooked up to the old thermostat and a humidifier.

I also wanted to give you a pic of all the terminals on the IAQ EMI... and I found this diagram on the inside cover.

This is a pic of all the terminals on the EMI.

Thanks!

Old 11-08-15, 12:16 PM
Oh.. One other thing.. This is what the Rheem instrutions show about wiring the HP for dual fuel.

Old 11-08-15, 01:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Name:  Honeywell_PrestigeIAQ rheem dual fuel.jpg
Views: 12182
Size:  37.0 KB

This might be of some assistance.

Old 11-08-15, 06:15 PM
WOW! THANK YOU Houston!!

I still have some questions...

1. Can I make the taps at the EMI (double up the wires at the EMI terminal connections) or should I do it in a junction box, or at the Furnace?

2. RC-RH-R ... Do I need to install jumpers there?

3. I currently have a humidifier... Should I hook it up at the furnace, as I currently have it, or should I connect it to the EMI?

4. What program are you using to make these diagrams? They're fantastic!!

Thanks again!!

Old 11-08-15, 07:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
1. Can I make the taps at the EMI (double up the wires at the EMI terminal connections) or should I do it in a junction box, or at the Furnace?
You can make these connections at the equipment interface module but it is usually easier if you run the heat pump wiring to the furnace and run the EIM to the furnace.

2. RC-RH-R ... Do I need to install jumpers there?
There should be factory jumpers there already and they are required for your application.

3. I currently have a humidifier... Should I hook it up at the furnace, as I currently have it, or should I connect it to the EMI?
I would connect the humidifier to the EIM. If the humidifier has a transformer already just connect the 2 wires to the U1 terminals.
If the humidifier does not have a transformer, connect an additional jumper between the R's and U1. Connect the remaining U1 terminal to one side of the humidifier. Connect the remaining humidifier wire to furnace C.

4. What program are you using to make these diagrams? They're fantastic!!
Windows Paint. I'm just drawing lines.

Old 11-09-15, 01:09 PM
Houston...

I'm assuming that the blue wire is for the reversing valve... If the heat pump weren't a Rheem, how would the wiring be changed?

Thanks!

Old 11-09-15, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The O/B terminal would connect to O instead of B.

The thermostat is configured to energize the reversing valve for heat mode with Rheem and Ruud. It is configured to energize the reversing valve in cool mode with almost every other brand.

Old 11-15-15, 03:14 PM
Prestige IAQ dual fuel setup..

1st let me say that my heat pump isn't on... I'm just trying to test the the hook up and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong...

It's wired as Houston suggested, and because the heat pump hasn't been turned on yet, I set it up for furnace only.. 1 stage, conventional gas. And because it's it's not a variable speed blower, it's setup as a standard furnace.

When I put the T-stat into diag mode to try and get it to run (setup as heat only for conventional gas), nothing happens.

When I set it up as a back up heat source for a heat pump and test it, it runs in diag mode..

What can be the problem? Could the problem be as simple as it not working in diag mode because the heat pump is wired, but not on?

Old 11-15-15, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
I moved your post to the one you already had going on the stat. It's easier to keep everything in one thread.

Old 11-15-15, 06:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will need to move white from Aux1 to W/O/B to get heat in conventional mode.

Set the "thermostat to control fan" in heat mode.

Last edited by Houston204; 11-15-15 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-15-15, 07:40 PM
Houston, I thought that might be it, so I went ahead a just turned the heat pump on... It's working fine, but I can't figure out how to set the thermostat to switch over from the heat pump to the furnace when the temp drops below 35. The manual that came with it doesn't tell you much about setup.. it really only tells you how to set the temp for different times of the day...

It's set up as heat pump with a conventional gas furnace for back up.. There are things I don't understand and can't find in the manual.. such as stages.. It's set to compressor stage 1 and backup heat stage 1.

I'm guessing "Changeover" might be the setting for when to use the heat pump or furnace.. And there's 2 settings.. manual and changeover... selecting manual doesn't do a thing, but selecting changeover allows me to to change a setting called "Deadband". I have it set to auto with a Deadband of 2 degs, but I have no idea what that does... Can you or anyone give me more insight?

There's "Stage Control - backup heat differential" too.. What the heck is that? I have it set to 2 degs from setpoint...

"Backup Heat Upstage Timer" is set to OFF.

"Outdoor Temperature Lockouts" - Compressor Lockout/Balance Point is set to 35F. Backup Heat Lockout is OFF... Is this where I picked to go from heat pump to furnace? If so, is it set correctly?

There's tons of more setting on this like "minimum compresser off time" and "Cycles Per Hour", which I have no idea what to set them for. Can you help?

Anyone know how I need to setup this Prestige IAQ or know of an online source that has the initial setup procedures? I'd love to know what all these settings do, but the manual that came with this thermostat is lacking... Yes it tells me how to set temp, vacation mode, wakeup and what not, but what I really need are instructions on initial setup for dual fuel, with a switch over from heat pump to furnace when outside temps hit 35....

Thanks!!

Old 11-15-15, 09:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
https://customer.honeywell.com/resou...0s/69-2490.pdf

I'm guessing "Changeover" might be the setting for when to use the heat pump or furnace.. And there's 2 settings.. manual and changeover...
If you select automatic changeover you get a 4th option. Heat, Cool, Off and Automatic. If you select Manual you only get Heat, Cool, and Off.

There's "Stage Control - backup heat differential" too.. What the heck is that? I have it set to 2 degs from setpoint...
This would be the heating demand required before the expensive electric heat strips kick in. 2 degrees would be more comfortable but increasing this to 3 or 4 would hold out the electric heat strips until the demand was 3 or 4 degrees above setpoint.

"Backup Heat Upstage Timer" is set to OFF.
I would leave this off as well. You have the option to kick in the expensive electric heat strips if you don't hit heating setpoint by a set time.

"Outdoor Temperature Lockouts" - Compressor Lockout/Balance Point is set to 35F.
Yes that is where you can set the compressor lockout temperature. It would probably be more efficient to lower that to a little below freezing but I have set it at 35 before.

Backup Heat Lockout is OFF
If you set this for something like 60 degrees you can use programming in heat mode. If not you may end up kicking in the electric heat strips if you set the temperature cooler in heat mode when you are not home. (Unless you set stage 2 differential greater than your set back temperature setpoint)

There's tons of more setting on this like "minimum compresser off time"
5 minutes

and "Cycles Per Hour"
3 for cool, 3 for stage 1 heat and 5 for stage 2 heat.

Old 11-15-15, 09:52 PM
Great info!! Thanks again. I do have one other question, because I couldn't find any info on the install pdf.

I've got the defrost set to 10 mins... But being that the Rheem has demand defrost, can I set it it to none? If I have to set it, what length of time would be best?

Dang it.. I've already got another question... It has to do with the Humidifier...
Previously, you stated that if it had a transformer, I can connect it directly to the EMI, if not, I needed to "If the humidifier does not have a transformer, connect an additional jumper between the R's and U1. Connect the remaining U1 terminal to one side of the humidifier. Connect the remaining humidifier wire to furnace C."

As far as I can tell, there must be a transformer in the furnace that it's connected to.. The reason I say this is because the red and white wire from the humidifier, on the furnace end, was connected as follow.. The white wire went to common on the furnace, but the red wire was connected to a yellow wire that ran behind something .. then a yellow wire coming from that space was connected to the Red on the furnace board. With that in mind, can I just run the white directly to the U1 (by pass the current connection to furnace common) on the EMI and connect the yellow, that's currently connected to the Red on Furnace to the other EMI U1?

Old 11-16-15, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The thermostat does not control defrost. What is the ISU number on the screen when you see this?

No, if you're humidifier was using the furnace transformer you cannot just connect to the U1 dry contacts. You will not get any power. It would be like touching those 2 wires together. You need to get 24 volts into that circuit.

Leave humidifier white on furnace common. Omit that yellow wiring. You don't need a current sensing relay or sail switch in this circuit anymore.

Connect humidifier red to the top U1 terminal.

Connect a small piece of wire from one of the R's on the EIM to the lower U1 terminal.

The 3 R's must still remain jumpered together.

Old 11-16-15, 06:02 AM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58875[/ATTACH]

I can't remember where I read it, but it said that it had to do with alerts or something... The default is 10 mins...

Attached Images  
Old 11-16-15, 10:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
OK it locks out the delta tee alert when you go into defrost.

I would use the 10 minute setting that you have in my area but I don't know how long defrost takes in MD.

If you start getting alerts that the system isn't heating you may need to adjust this setting.

Old 11-16-15, 12:26 PM
Gotcha, THANK YOU!!

10 characters .....

Old 11-30-15, 12:38 PM
Houston,

I just want to make sure one thing about hooking up the humidifier. When you say connect the wires from the humidifier to the EIM, am I by passing the Humidstat or am I connecting the wire from the humidistat to the EIM?

Old 12-01-15, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would omit the old humidistat and only use the Prestige IAQ to control the humidifier.

Old 12-01-15, 09:49 PM
Houston,

Does this look good for wiring in the Humidifier?

Name:  Honeywell_PrestigeIAQ rheem dual fuel.jpg
Views: 10341
Size:  32.9 KB

Old 12-02-15, 06:18 AM
I just realized I didn't connect to common, and went to Aux1. Here it is again, but to common.. Can you confirm?

Name:  iaq_humidifier.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  32.8 KB

Thanks!

Old 12-02-15, 08:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, it looks good for a humidifier that doesn't already have a transformer in it.

Old 12-02-15, 09:37 PM
I'm going to just run the humidifier to the EIM versus running the C to the furnace..

As always, Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: