Honeywell TH9320WF5003 installed -- Wifi settings crashes it

Old 11-19-15, 10:38 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell TH9320WF5003 installed -- Wifi settings crashes it

Hi everyone, I tried searching the forum and Google and I can't find anyone with this specific problem. I bought a Honeywell TH9320WF5003. This is the Honeywell color Wifi unit.

An HVAC technician installed it. He could not find a C wire so he attached the G wire to the C spot. The unit powers up fine and seems to activate heat and cooling fine.

However, each time I go to Wifi settings, it causes the thermostat to reboot. I called Honeywell and they think that maybe the G wire isn't supplying enough voltage to run the Wifi, but the technician disagreed. The tech thinks the thermostat is defective.

What could be the problem? Is searching for a wifi network enough to overpower the G wire? Or is the thermostat defective?
Thank you.

PS I should add that I have a hydronic baseboard system and central forced air being controlled by this thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-15, 07:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
It seems unlikely that using green for common at Both ends is causing this problem.

I would verify that we have a good connection to C at the furnace and stat.

I had a similar issue when a Honeywell thermostat required a system update via a USB thumb drive a few years ago.

Old 11-20-15, 10:00 AM
Received 67 Votes on 63 Posts
i doubt it is a voltage problem, if it were your H/C wouldn't work correctly,which wifi setting are you talking about?it could very well be a bad stat.
geo

Old 11-20-15, 11:15 AM
M
I am referring to the Wifi Settings option in the list of main options. The one you go into to setup your Wifi. It is located right after System settings. As soon as you click into the option, it will briefly say "Searching for Wifi networks" or something like that and then immediately reboot.

This consistently happens anytime you go into the Wifi settings. Never anytime else. Heating seems to be working fine.

I bought another thermostat to check. I replaced the screen only (not the wiring panel underneath) and the same thing happened at the Wifi settings -- rebooting.

Old 11-21-15, 11:58 AM
I was just looking at the reviews on Amazon,you should check it out lots of reviews and not all are good.

Old 11-21-15, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,040 Votes on 964 Posts
The only problem I can see it that since you are using two different systems with different 24vac transformers...... that would require the Rc/Rh jumper to not be used.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-22-15 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-22-15, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Posting some pictures of the wire connections at the thermostat, the air handler and the connections to the hydronic heating relay may be of some assistance.

Old 11-23-15, 06:00 AM
M
OK thanks for your replies. I attached a pic of my thermostat and furnace. On the thermostat, the C wire is connected (moved over G wire), Rc, R, W and Y.

Please let me know what you think. Thank you for all of your help.

A couple questions additional questions aside from the Wifi Question:

1) The HVAC tech moved the G wire to the C wire spot at the furnace and thermostat. In the Furnace picture, do I move the Green wire or the Red wire back to G if I want to revert to the original placement (or both?)? Both wires go into a long tube of wires and I can't tell where they go.

2) Why are there two wires at Y?

3) Am I right that the W wire is coming from the baseboard heating system?

4) When I shut off the furnace with the main toggle switch, the Thermostat still has power. Why?

5) In the thermostat wiring, why are there multiple connectors for R and RC?

Attached Images   
Old 11-23-15, 10:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
1 is Green.
2 the additional wire on Y is from the condenser outside.
( the condenser connects to C and Y)

3. Maybe. Tough to trace the wiring from here.

4. Did you remove the Rc to R jumper at the stat? Tough to see on my phone.

5. If you actually have this thermostat connected to baseboard heaters and not a gas furnace as it appears in your pics you should have the furnace on RC and the baseboard heater relay on R(h).

You have splices between the stat and the gas furnace.

You should call a different tech to trace this wiring for you.
That setup would be confusing to many green techs.

Old 11-23-15, 01:30 PM
If you say that the heating and cooling worked fine,then why not try this ,remove all the wires from the stat (label each so course) leave the RED on R/RC with jumper, put the GREEN on C both at the stat and furnace,you should now have a display on the stat,now try and see what happens when you try to setup your wifi.
Geo

Old 11-23-15, 04:04 PM
M
Thanks, will try this idea. What does removing the W and Y wires do for this test?

In my picture, at the thermostat panel, there are 2 R and Rc plugs. The one on the bottom has a short blue wire that connects the R and Rc while the higher pair plugs come from the wall. Is the bottom R/Rc pair a jumper?

How come there doesn't need to be an Rh plug on the panel?

Thank you.

Old 11-23-15, 05:41 PM
This test should prove that the stat can be programed and connect to your wifi with only 24 vac supplied,no external load,use only the jumper on the bottom,not sure what the other one from the wall is.
Geo

Old 11-23-15, 07:02 PM
M
Thanks, will try tomorrow. I did notice in the manual that if you have both R and Rc lines connected like I do, you are supposed to disconnect the jumper wire pair at the bottom (mine was left connected by the tech). I will try this too. Could this be enough to cause my problem ?

Old 11-23-15, 08:26 PM
If you have 2 separate feeds to that stat i.e. 1 from a boiler and 1 from an AC unit then yes remove the jumper, try that first and see if you can get the wifi to work.

Old 11-23-15, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,040 Votes on 964 Posts
Ultimately.... the jumper between Rc and R is not used.

Old 11-24-15, 06:49 PM
M
Thanks for your help everyone.

I tried all of the suggestions but cannot get the Wifi to work.

I'm going to return the Honeywell and get a Nest...

Old 11-25-15, 05:21 AM
Just curious,did the stat find your wifi network SSID? Theoretically you should be able to apply 24vac to that stat and program it sitting in your hand,let us know how you make out with the Ness.
Geo

Old 11-25-15, 12:42 PM
M
When I click on Wifi Settings, the stat briefly will show up to two messages. The first is something like "Determining Wireless setting." Usually, the stat will reboot at that point.

I did notice that if I rush into Wifi settings immediately after any reboot, it will go past Determining Wireless settings and then display "Searching for networks" and then reboot after that.

Old 11-25-15, 01:28 PM
Just a thought, I wonder if having it powered up with 2 feeds (R & RC) jumped damaged something in the stat,might be worth returning that stat and trying a new one with that jumper removed.
Geo

Old 11-29-15, 09:19 AM
M
Just a followup. I installed the Nest thermostat and while the Wifi worked, the heat would not come on at all. I called Nest and they gave up and said I need a professional install.
So basically, the Honeywell heat worked but Wifi didnt. The Nest wifi worked but heat didn't.

I bought a replacement wall plate and rewired everything for the Honeywell as was suggested. Still Wifi settings cased the system to reboot.

So I gave up and installed an Emerson Sensi. Seems to work fine. One thing I don't like is that the fan comes on when my baseboard heating comes on. The other devices had a way to tell the thermostat that it was baseboard and not central heat and the fan would not come on. Any way to do that on the Sensi? Only solution is to detach the G wire?

Old 11-29-15, 04:25 PM
M
Never mind, I figured out the Sensi fan problem. I changed the indoor heat type to Gas and it stopped using the fan.

Old 12-03-15, 05:20 PM
Glad you got it figured out,hope you got your money back on the other stats.

Old 12-04-15, 09:31 AM
M
Yes I returned all of the other units. Thanks for your help. The Sensi works really well.