Hunter 44132 Wiring Problem - No Heat

Old 12-30-15, 09:16 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hunter 44132 Wiring Problem - No Heat

Hi - I am far from a good DIYer but last summer my condo's old thermostat died so I took it upon myself to install this Hunter 44132. It seemed easy enough and my AC worked right away but I made the epic fail of not bothering to test the heat at the same time.

Fast foward to winter - no heat! The thermostat recognizes the temp change and turns on heat but the air is non heated. Unfortunately I cannot locate the original package and I did not take any pictures of my old setup.

Hoping that I maybe just made a simple wire mistake and that someone more knowledgable can point it out?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 12-30-15, 11:17 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, are sure you have the stat switched to heat?sounds like just the blower is turning on,is that correct?did it work correctly before you changed the stat?more info would help,type of furnace,is it gas fired?tried to copy a PDF of that stat but couldn't for some reason,maybe you can Google it.

Old 12-30-15, 03:25 PM
C
Hey - thanks for the reply. I did try to find a PDF too but only saw some on the user manual rather than installing.

Yes, the blower does come on but no heat. Both when on Auto and also when I manually move the switch to heat. WHen I manually move the switch to Cool i do get AC. The heater definitely did work on occasion before I replaced the thermostat, but I ran it very infrequently living in CA.

I did notice just messing with it now - that when I switch to "heat" - it flashes "AUX" constantly...

Last edited by chickenbeer; 12-30-15 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-30-15, 04:44 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Is this a heat pump? Post the mdl# ,try this link
Hunter Fan Thermostat 44132 User Guide | ManualsOnline.com

Old 12-30-15, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I can see by the picture you do have a heatpump and your stat is wired incorrectly

You cannot use the B and O terminals at the same time.
I can't really see your wiring clearly. I can see it's sloppy and the bare wires are too long.

What would have been real helpful here is to know what the make and model of your old stat was and what colors were on which terminals.

Old 12-30-15, 06:22 PM
C
Hey - Truth hurts I'm not surprised about the wire comments though, i struggled just to get some to reach out if i recall... the wires were very hard. I think I should have just hired a professional...

I had no idea you could tell I had a heat pump by looking at that. Again I think I screwed up inititally, took a guess, and since the AC worked I was thinking wow that was easy... I will have to look at the device as I think it has a setting on the back and I did not switch it to heat pump. Maybe I can just to trial by error with the B and O slots?

My old one was a Honeywell Chromotherm 3. I know because the old manual was left by previous owner in the kitchen drawers. Unfortunately I did not take a pic of the old wiring. But I googled for images and this is exactly what I had.

Oops. I cannot figure out how to attach another picture. But it was def that old Honewyell Chromothrem 3 model.

Old 12-30-15, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Please list the colors you have there at that stat.

I can see red, green, blue, black ? and ???
You may to go to the air handler to see what they are connected to.
What brand of heatpump ?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 12-30-15, 06:44 PM
C
Name:  hunter.jpg
Views: 4170
Size:  28.7 KB

Ok - hopefully this is a much clearer pic.

And yes, those colors are correct but you are missing white and yellow. From top to bottom of pic roughly... Pink/red... green, white, yellow, blue, black.

I do appreciate the input, it made me actually go look at my heat pump which is a First Co. 24RCW5-HP. From googling I see its known as just a RCW Series?

Last edited by PJmax; 12-30-15 at 06:59 PM. Reason: resized/enhanced picture
Old 12-30-15, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
If you look at the stat..... the labels on the left are for a heat pump system and are the ones you follow.

In your book it says.....
Do not disconnect the wires from your old thermostat until all wires have been properly
labeled. You must label all wires properly because wire color may not indicate the function of the wire.

That is going to be the problem here.
Your white wire is the backup electric heat and goes on the A/E terminal.

You have blue on O. You have black on B.
We can't guess here. I can't find the wiring diagram for your system. That means you'll need to go to the air handler and visually see where the black and blue are connected. Only one is required. Usually when both are connected you get a short.

I did notice just messing with it now - that when I switch to "heat" - it flashes "AUX" constantly...
When in heat mode the heat pump fires up. If the set temperature is more than 4 degrees over the room temperature.... the stat assumes that the heat pump has malfunctioned or cannot keep up and turns on the AUX electric heat. For this reason..... it's recommended to not setback the temperature on a heatpump system. A/C is no problem with setting back.

Old 12-30-15, 07:26 PM
C
Understood. I know I did use the sticker labels as instructed , but must have done such a piss poor job they didn't stay on. The only ones still on are R red, E white, and B black.

Is it easy to get to the air handler?

A random thought - maybe I can get a picture from another unit's thermostat, if they still have the original. I am friendly with a few of my neighbors.

Old 12-30-15, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
A picture from another may work.

The diagram shows where the wiring would be found. Not hard to locate.
Also..... there are some switches on the back of that stat that need to be set.

Name:  ah.jpg
Views: 2470
Size:  40.4 KB

Don't do anything until we get the blue/black issue straightened out.
We just need to find out where the blue wire was connected.

Old 01-05-16, 11:32 AM
C
Hello and happy new year!

I did text one of my neighbors about my issue and he confirmed he has the same heat pump installed, however when he moved in this thermostat was installed. He sent me this pic to help. Would it be as simple to try and copy his layout?

The pic is not great, but he confirmed his blue wire is attached to nothing at all.

Name:  adam.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  15.3 KB

Old 01-05-16, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
In that case we can assume Blue is the C wire and is not needed. Leave the black wire on B.
Make sure you set the switches on the back of the stat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: