Replacing Carrier Edge thermostat

Old 04-10-16, 01:45 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Carrier Edge thermostat

I just moved into a newly constructed home (one year old) that has a Carrier Edge thermostat. From what I have read, this means that another party (like a power company) can control my thermostat remotely. I looked and I cannot find any sort of power control box with an antenna but I do know that my power company is a co-op. Does this mean that someone is definitely in control of my HVAC? Is there any other reason to install a Carrier Edge thermostat other than to remotely control the HVAC system?

From what I read in this thread, I will need to bypass the control unit at my condensor and actually connect the five wires like a normal thermostat and then install my Honeywell RTH9580 per the instructions....is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

separated from... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/th...580-wi-fi.html

Last edited by PJmax; 04-10-16 at 01:58 PM. Reason: started new thread
Old 04-10-16, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There are too many variables to answer your question based on the other thread you posted in.

The thermostat type doesn't necessarily imply Poco A/C control.
You'd see a control box mounted somewhere on the outside of your furnace and in some areas.... it can be out at the condensor.

You may have a communicating thermostat there where you don't have enough wires to install a different stat. It would be good to pull your stat off the wall and see what you have for wiring. The stat should unsnap off the base leaving the wiring behind.

Old 04-10-16, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
As PJ has posted the Carrier Edge can control many functions with only 2 conductors.

It is comparable to the Honeywell VisionPro IAQ.
It looks better but isn't as user friendly as the Honeywell VisionPro IAQ.
It will support more equipment options than your newRTH9580 thermostat.

The Honeywell Prestige IAQ will support more options than the Edge.

You would need to remove the thermostat's EIM to install that new thermostat.

I have never seen it tied in with the power company's black out system.

Old 04-11-16, 11:53 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier Edge Thermostat replacement

Thanks to all for for the input.

1) I removed the thermostat and there are five or six other wires that are tucked behind my Edge so it looks like I have plenty of wires.

2) My goal is to have a thermostat that I can control through the internet....does Carrier make an Edge or something similar that is wifi compatible?

3) Is there any company that makes a 2 wire thermostat that is wifi ready?

Old 04-12-16, 07:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
It is great news that you have at least 5 conductors. This will allow you to install almost any WiFi stat.

You are not limited to a Carrier stat but the Carrier Cor is an option.

What is connected to the existing thermostat equipment enterfice module?
A Honeywell stat that you can pick up at any big box store will probably be fine unless this is a dual fuel application or you have multiple accessories connected to the existing thermostat.

The Honeywell Prestige IAQ uses 2 wires but it uses a different EIM and requires a separate Internet gateway. It is a great thermostat. After installing a dozen of them for customers I installed one on my home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: