Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Wiring Lyric to 2 zoned, 2 stage heat pump with variable speed gas backup

Old 04-27-16, 05:56 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I had this system installed October/November of 2014 and my installer has never been able to get it to run properly. I think it's w1 and w2 wiring.

Wiring diagram I drew up

The Symptoms

The Lyric thermostat side has issues with the heat pump. It will call for heat 1 and the heat pump will produce. Once it calls for heat 2, all fans continue to spin, but no heat is produced. When emergency heat is called, the furnace appears to run properly.

In the attached documentation, it looks like the heat pump does not require both a w1 and w2, but instead asks you to combine them. However, the furnace does require a w1 and a w2, so I don't know how my installer can combine them without screwing up the furnace. Currently he has w2 come from the Lyric and connects to both w1 and w2 on the input side of the control board. w1 from the lyric goes to the o/b on the control board, then runs straight to the heat pump, bypassing the equipment side. w1 and w2 on the equipment side both go to the furnace and only w1 goes to the heat pump. Perhaps when w2 is called, it doesn't reach the pump?

The System:

American Standard 4A6H7 Platinum XM Heat Pump

American Standard Gold Series Variable Speed Propane Furnace

Honeywell HZ432 TrueZONE control board (Two Zones)

Lyric Thermostat

Hallowell Thermostat

Here are some pictures I took of the current wiring and scans of some of the documentation.

Lyric Wiring (Note here: the y2 wire is wire nutted and changed to red before entering the control board
Control Board Equipment Side
Control Board Lyric Side
Furnace Wiring

Some documentation

Diagram from Heat Pump documentation
Diagram from furnace documentation
Diagram from furnace documentation 2
Diagram from Control Board documentation

Hard copies of some documentation are available here:

Control Board documentation

Heat Pump documentation

Any help is appreciated!

Old 04-27-16, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 34 Posts
What do the extra green, red and white wires at zone 2 stat input to the zone control connect to at the other end??

Why is W1 and W2 jumpered on the zone control board zone 2 stat connections?

Is the zone control board configured for a 2 stage heat pump with 2 stages of gas Aux heat?

I see that L is connected at the stat but it is not connected at the zone control board.

Do you have a furnace diagram with a heat pump? Neither of the furnace diagrams that you posted apply to your application.
A link to the furnace manual would be of assistance.
There may be dip switches that must be adjusted.

Old 04-28-16, 06:01 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Houston, thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

- The extra green wire going into the o/b connects directly to the heat pump

- The red wire going into the Y2 is the Y2 from the stat. It was wire nutted further up the line where my installer attempted to control the humidifier, so it's orange coming out of the stat, but red going into the board.
- One of the white wires connected to C goes to the damper motor, the other is the black C from the stat. Like Y2, it was cut after leaving the stat and reconnected to a different color wire.

- I'm guessing he jumpered W1 and W2 so that there was only one line to the heat pump.

- Turns out both L and K are cut and go nowhere.

I could not find a diagram for the furnace that includes a heat pump, but I did find the documentation here:

Furnace Documentation

Thanks again for you help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: