Thermostat replacement

Old 06-05-16, 03:22 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermostat replacement

Hi,

I have a very old thermostat in my house, we have 2 in the house in total, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs. The one I am looking to replace is upstairs and is circa 35 years old. I taken the top off of it and it has 4 cables? I have included the pictures below.

I am looking to replace it with the following one, and it seems to have the required connections. Is anyone able to verify if this would just be a straight swap? as I was hoping to do it myself.

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co....ownload_id=117

Name:  Thermostat 1.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  31.7 KBName:  Thermostat 2.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  50.0 KB[ATTACH]66942[/ATTACH

Thanks,

Matt

Attached Images  
Old 06-05-16, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This is primarily a North American based site. I haven't seen a thermostat like that before but I will try to help.

First thing.... I'm a little disturbed to see a red wire on terminal three which is listed as ground.
Universally green and green with a yellow stripe is ground. In any event.... you have two red wires there so don't get them confused.

This is the diagram for the new thermostat.....
Name:  touch.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  27.9 KB

Here's your new wiring....
Terminal #1 - red. SAME red that is now on terminal #1
Terminal #2 - blue
Terminal #3 - yellow

I don't see a use for the red wire that is now on terminal #3 so just cap it or tape it off and put it out of the way.

Old 06-05-16, 05:19 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Pete, look closely at that red wire on terminal three. It appears to be a bare equipment ground that someone slipped a piece of red insulation over.

Old 06-05-16, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Good eyes.... I missed that. So basically it's a piece of three wire NM type cable with ground.

That brings up a point. Your new thermostat illustrates mounting it to a electrical box in the wall. In your picture the old thermostat is just surface mounted with no box.

I would recommend using a metal junction box and then the bare ground would connect to that.

Old 06-06-16, 12:29 AM
M
Hi guys, thanks so much for your help!

Yes I was a little concerned and confused about the 2 red wires!

I read online that you need a "Common" C Wire? for the newer style thermostats, or digital ones, do I have this then? as I would be surprised considering the age.

The boiler was replaced about 3 or 4 years ago, with a new combi ones, so I know all of that is new.

And yes currently it is wall mounted, so would need to recess it so thanks for the tip about the box.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 06-06-16, 12:37 AM
Group Moderator
You need a common wire for a 24vac electronic thermostat.

Yours is a high voltage (230v) thermostat and technically the yellow wire is like a common.

Old 06-06-16, 12:56 AM
M
And yes it appears that the second red cable is what we call the Earth cable, with a piece of insulation over it!

Thanks,

Matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: