New thermostat not working correctly

Old 11-11-16, 01:13 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New thermostat not working correctly

Hey guys. I recently bought a new thermostat that says its compatible with all popular home HVAC units (single stage, two-stage etc). when i took my old thermo off i had 4 wires (W,Y,R,G) hooked up to old thermo, as those were the only terminals on the old thermostat. I hooked those wires up to my new thermostat and the HVAC unit turned on but only was blowing air softly. it never kicked on to full power. I put my old thermo back on and it started off blowing low air, then after 5 min it kicked up to full power. This leads me to believe i have a two-stage system, but i cannot get my new thermostat to kick on that second stage for the life of me. any ideas or suggestions?

Old 11-11-16, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

With only those 4 wires you have a standard heat-A/C system. You may have two stage heat but it is not controlled from your thermostat. It would strictly be a timed function.

Since you didn't leave the old thermostat make and model or the new one.... I can't comment on thermostat programming but it usually needs to be done to match the system.

Old 11-11-16, 01:46 PM
D
the old thermostat is a trane XB200, the new thermostat I'm trying to install is a 2gig CT100 thermostat

Old 11-11-16, 02:39 PM
D
thanks for the tips i believe i figured it out. I had to run a jumper wire from Y and Y2 and that triggered the second stage to kick on for me for my air

Old 11-11-16, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Ok.... because I don't see why that would cause a problem.
Your old stat didn't require that.

Old 11-11-16, 04:32 PM
D
my assumption was that because my original thermostat didn't even have a terminal for Y2, but my new thermo did. but that is a complete guess

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: