Installing two heating 'stats in parallel?

Old 11-14-16, 03:38 PM
G
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
Installing two heating 'stats in parallel?

The hydronic heating system for my 2-story house is on one zone. My present 24-V 'stat is on the first floor. I'm thinking about installing a second 'stat on the upper floor. So, if either one is calling for heat, the boiler will run. I realize that if one 'stat is satisfied, it won't shut off the boiler if the other 'stat is calling for heat.

Comments?

Old 11-14-16, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
I realize that if one 'stat is satisfied, it won't shut off the boiler if the other 'stat is calling for heat.
Correct. Not really much to comment about. It's not effective.

Time for a zone split.

Old 11-14-16, 03:58 PM
G
It's not effective.
At 2am and our upstairs bedroom is too cold, it will save going downstairs in my PJs. A zone split would be ideal, but not going to happen due the piping alterations required. It would be practical for splitting into north and south zones, but not for upstairs and downstairs.

Old 11-14-16, 04:04 PM
B
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
Yes, you can add a second t'stat in the second floor but what have you gained? The floor with it's t'stat at the higher setting will control the whole house, so what have you gained. Best solution is to put the second floor on it's own hydronic zone and t'stat. Good luck.

Old 11-14-16, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
You will have to face that in if you need to raise the system temperature to satisfy you upstairs.... the tenant may need to open a window to let out some heat downstairs.

I've worked in apartment complexes where several units in a row had to open their windows.

Old 11-15-16, 04:16 PM
G
the tenant may need to open a window to let out some heat downstairs.
Tenant? Ours is a single-family, two-story house.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 11-16-16, 05:25 PM
G
I will probably just live with my heating 'stat on the first floor while our bedrooms are on the second floor. Not real convenient if I awake at 2am and the bedroom is cold. I might go with a wireless 'stat with multiple remotes, one on my bedside table - that may be the answer. But, more complication.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: