Help installing new Honeywell Thermostat RTH8500D

Old 11-23-16, 10:16 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help installing new Honeywell Thermostat RTH8500D

I'm not sure what the Honeywell model # is on the old thermostat, but the new one is a RTH8500D (Non Wifi) I have pictures attached of old and new. This is using the Heat Pump connection.

https://customer.honeywell.com/resou.../69-1902EF.pdf

W1 and E stump me. There's one small white wire going from W1 to E and there is also a wire from the wall connecting to E. I don't understand what the small wire from W1 to E is for.

The new thermostat does not have W1 and the instructions say if E and Aux terminals do not each have a wire connected, use a small piece of wire to connect them to each other. I take this as E (white wire from wall) connects to E on new thermostat and then connect the small white wire from Aux to E as well? The explanation is on page 12 #6 u dear alternate wiring. It didn't seem like two wires would fit into one terminal though.

It sounds like the short wire W1 - E is a jumper cable. I'm not sure where to connect it on the new one and if it's needed. Also, there is an R and no RC. Does that mean the Jumper would stay in RC? That's also on page 12.

I was on the phone with Honeywell and they said to take the white wire (currently connected to E) from the wall and connect it to AUX. Take the white jumper cable (currently connected to W1 and E) and connect it from AUX to E. So there will be two connections in AUX.

I also asked about R. We have to leave the metal jumper wire in R and RC and connect R in with the metal jumper wire.

G: Green
C: Blue
R: Red and leave in metal jumper
Y: Yellow
E: White wire from the wall connects to AUX on new thermostat
Aux: White Jumper Wire from AUX to E

Just looking for more confirmation. I don't want to mess anything up.

Attached Images   
Old 11-23-16, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

G: Green
C: Blue
R: Red and leave in metal jumper
Y: Yellow
E: White wire from the wall connects to AUX on new thermostat
Aux: White Jumper Wire from AUX to E
This will do it.