Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Installing a wifi thermostat for a Masterol Mark V system with Trol A Temp Stats

Installing a wifi thermostat for a Masterol Mark V system with Trol A Temp Stats

Old 01-14-17, 06:38 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am super new to both home ownership and HVAC systems. Having recently moved to the mid-west I'm realizing not only how cold the winters are but how expensive my gas bill is to heat up my "new" (built in 1987) house is.

After looking at my last months gas bill I decided to try and get a wifi enabled thermostat(s) for the house to be able to manage gas usage. I think though, based on my online research that I might be out of luck given the system I have in the house, hence this post to see what my options might be.

We've got 2 Amana Furnaces running at 130K BTUs. Don't exactly know what capacity or brand the AC Units are. We've got Trol a Temp stats with 3 wires running to them. 2 stats in the lower basement level, 2 stats at the main level for 2 sides of the house and then one stat on the second floor which just has the master bedroom. I've attached pictures of what these stats look like - they seem to be simply slaves that control one zone each (correct me if I am wrong). There are 2 MasterTrol Mark V Control boxes next to the furnaces, one for the 2 stats of the Lower basement level and one for the 3 stats on the main and second level. I'm attaching the wiring diagrams for both those control boxes as well. There are also 2 switches for Heat/Cold/Fan one for (again) the lower basement level and the other for the upstairs.

Given this setup would be really helpful if someone would be able to tell me how complex it will be to switch over to a wifi based stat system and if I will need 5 (say Nests or Ecobees) to make it happen. Would this require hundreds of $$s to install and rewire or am I just off on my online research.

Thank you much in advance!
-M (a2newb)Name:  IMG_6087.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  17.8 KBName:  IMG_6089.jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  28.1 KBName:  IMG_6090.jpg
Views: 3399
Size:  50.8 KBName:  IMG_6091.jpg
Views: 3026
Size:  51.7 KBName:  IMG_6092.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  27.2 KBName:  temp control.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  33.3 KB

Old 01-14-17, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,978 Votes on 2,686 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

2) 130k btu furnaces.... this must be a big house .

Five WiFi stats would be pretty expensive.
You've got an involved system that isn't going to be easy to retrofit for WiFi stats either.

Old 01-14-17, 11:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 34 Posts
I would replace both of the existing zone control boards when replacing the thermostats.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HZ3...one+controller

If you remove 3 or 4 screws on that stat you can get to the wires. How many conductors do you have running to each thermostat?

You will need 5 conductors to each thermostat with most wifi thermostats.

If pulling wire is not an option you can use a thermostat that has a separate equipment interface module. These often only require 2 or 3 conductors to each stat.

A Honeywell Prestige IAQ is an option that only requires 2 conductors to each stat. It would require a separate internet gateway, or you could get a Prestige IAQ package that includes a gateway for zone one and the package without the gateway for the zone 2 and zone 3.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: