Wiring schematic & dual fuel questions

Old 02-08-17, 07:40 PM
Wiring schematic & dual fuel questions

So while I have been reading threads from this forum often this is the first time I actually post something, as I have not found what I am looking for!

I have recently purchased a house which has a heat pump which was not working. Under my mortage I had a free warranty for a year which I used to get the heat pump fixed. However, since it was not hooked up to a thermostat when they came and refused to hook it up since it was not part of the original agreement with the insurer, they tell me they jump started it and it works after changing the defrost board.

Now, I spent hours reading the various installation manuals and making schemas and believe I have set it up correctly, but the heat pump will not turn on. Before I call the company back I am hoping to have some feedback on my wiring!

Here is my diagram:
https://www.lucidchart.com/invitatio...9-99d562ef2e0d
Name:  stat d.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  22.9 KB

Here are the installation manuals for my tstat, furnace and heat pump:
Tstat: 1F95-1277
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...U1QTzBMQTh4WUU
It is setup as HP1 (2 stage heating, 1 stage

Furncace: Dettson Supreme ECM 18kwh
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...TFsblFfYkFBbzg

Heat Pump: York YHJD30
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...2ZYWlNqTEx1ajg

Thanks!!

Last edited by PJmax; 02-08-17 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added diagram from link
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-17, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I posted your diagram. You left a link where someone had to join or supply credentials to access the diagram. Most people won't do that due to security risks.

I commandeered your diagram. The pink lines are what need to be changed.
The red are questionable. I would keep the W1-W2 jumper in place on the air handler and treat it as a single stage heat. Normally, two stages heating is used when involving a gas furnace.

Name:  stat d.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  24.0 KB

Old 02-08-17, 09:22 PM
Thank you! I had not realized people would need to log in.

I had the two stages hearing setup already since my heat pump has been down for 3 months (repair company is really slow...). I will see if going back to single stage makes a difference for my heat pump not starting (I hope so).

For the Y2 to Y1 switch, I went back to the manual to see why I had wired it this way and noticed the Y2 is actually labeled Y/Y2 as it is used as the single Y on single stage heat pumps,so I guess it is fine as is?

Old 02-08-17, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
If your heatpump wasn't running it was because of one of two reason.....
thermostat programming or not supplying power to the condensor Y terminal.

The W1-W2 jumper won't affect the heat pump.

Old 02-09-17, 05:23 AM
I checked the power at the defrost board and there was power on R, Y (about 26v) and the 120v line so I guess it's time for me to call the repair company again.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 02-09-17, 10:08 AM
There is no 120V line going to the outdoor unit. There should be 208/230V. Also, if you see 24 VAC between R and Y you're not getting a signal to run.

Old 02-09-17, 10:26 AM
Right, I took the reading off one of the 2 leads so it is in fact 208/230V, my bad!
I am getting 24V reading between a ground / R and ground / Y so Y / R would be 0.

Old 02-09-17, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
As a rule, we or I don't use ground as common measurement point. Some systems don't use the ground as a common path. It sounds like you do have the necessary powers to the condensor.

That would leave a contactor problem, a slight possibility the defrost board or you are just plain low on refrigerant.

Old 02-09-17, 05:03 PM
Fossil Fuel Kit - Electric Furnace w/ Heat Pump

Hi!
I just replaced an old oil furnace with an electric one in a house I recently moved into.
While working out some heat pump issues with a tech, he told me I did not have a plenum sensor and could damage my heat pump while it is defrosting (the original setup did not have one, which likely helped cause problems with the heat pump since it was an oil-furnace).
I asked the company that changed the furnace and was told I indeed need a fossil fuel kit (funny how I only need it now that I inquired about it.) which would cost about 400$.

Now, I cannot seem to find any information on whether or not this is needed with an electric furnace & heat pump combo.
My Tstat (Emerson F145-1378) handles the dual fuel and has an external thermometer for the heat pump cut-off point.

My furnace is a 18kwh (which is wired to run at 10kwh when the heat pump is defrosting and asks for the furnace to heat). (Dettson Supreme ECM 18kwh).

And finally my heat pump is a York YHJD30.

Thanks!

Old 02-09-17, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the tip, I will use the common wire instead next time.

Knowing that the wiring is adequate I will call back the repair company, they just changed the defrost board and had to change a part of the refrigerant circuit so it was pumped out, vacuum-tested and fully refilled - not that it may not be problematic still. At this point though I will let a professional take a look at it!

Thank you again for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-09-17, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
I merged your two threads together. Your question in reference to dual fuel setup belongs here with your original one.

With an electric furnace.... you don't need a dual fuel setup. The thermostat will tell the electric furnace when to run. You DO want the electric furnace to run during defrost.

Just to make sure we're on the same page..... your electric furnace and your heat pump air handler are the same unit.... correct ?

Last edited by PJmax; 02-09-17 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-12-17, 07:04 PM
Not sure what would be considered as a unit so just to be sure, the air flow goes from the electric furnace to the heat pump's radiator pipes (about a foot of distance between the two) and into the outbound ducts.

From what I understand the risk is of overheating the pipes when the heat pump is on the defrosting cycle and the furnace is handling the heating.
Had the airflow first passed into the heat pump's pipes and then the furnace I would not be worried at all.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-17, 07:16 PM
Air doesn't pass through the lineset. That's refrigerant. Air only passes through the air handler.
It sounds like you have a conventional heat pump. Which doesn't require anything beyond a heat pump capable thermostat

Old 02-12-17, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
In most applications the electric reheats are after the evaporator coil...... but even if they are not..... the electric reheats will not cause the evaporator to overheat.

It would be different if you had a gas furnace. That's dual fuel and that would overheat the evaporator.

You could change the wiring to the heat pump so that the reheats didn't run during defrost but that could make for some very cool air coming out of the registers.

Old 02-12-17, 08:51 PM
I thought the standard was for defrost to only call the 1st stage of electric heat. Calling both stages would negate some of the efficiencies of having a heat pump. 2nd set of electric coils would only be for homeowner to select via E or aux on the 'stat.

Old 02-12-17, 09:27 PM
Once my heat pump is in working order (waiting for the tech visit) I'll see about changing the wiring to get first stage only with the heat pump, it makes sense not to want to use the second stage in that scenario.

Roughneck, that's what I was trying to (badly) verbalize, the air from the electric furnace is going into the evaporator coil.

Anyone knows when the W1/66 wires would be energized? I can't seem to find that information anywhere and the York manual is real basic.. The orignal install from the previous home owners did not make use of them.

Thanks!