Honeywell Lyric (RCH9310WF) Wiring Help!

Old 06-06-17, 09:32 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell Lyric (RCH9310WF) Wiring Help!

Good evening,

I was wondering if you could help me?
here is a picture of the wiring I've hooked up which doesn't work. It matches how the wiring was on my old thermostat except it had the black jumper wire connected to RH & RC so I just figured that would translate to how it is in the picture which is incorrect.

Name:  thermo.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  23.5 KB

As you can see in the picture above I don't have a C wire (black or other) coming out of the wall.

Honeywell told me I can use a Gwire method to replace the C wire however it disables the fan to be used on its own which I'm fine with.

Their configuration is as follows:
Y - yellow --jumper -
|
C - green --jumper -
R - red
W - white

I've tried this but the Honeywell seems to keep doing the same thing which is saying lyric and playing the dumb looping animation from left to right fading with nothing more I can do.

There is an issue maybe with the fact that the little pieces of plastic which hold the wire in place as you can see in the picture near the C wire hole that seem to be broken. I'm not sure if that is an issue & what I'm supposed to be making sure the wire is touching in there to work or if I can stick something in there as a replacement to hold the wire in place?

My HVAC system is: https://gemaire.com/first-co-413010-...v-motor-30hx10

any help you can give will be wonderful.

thanks,

Christopher

Old 06-06-17, 11:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Ceiling mounted air handler...... is that what you have ??

Thermostat wiring is NOT always done by color. C does not have to be black

When you wire a thermostat you turn the power off, remove the stat and write down what color wire is on what terminal.

You currently have....
R = red
G = green
Y = yellow
W = white

That means at the air handler end you have ...
red to R
green to G
yellow to Y
white to W
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
What you need to end up with at the stat.....
R = red
C = green
Y = yellow
W = white

What you need to end up with at the air handler.....
red to R
green to C
yellow to Y and G
white to W

The Y to G jumper goes at the air handler end.
The C connection is made at the air handler.

If you can't find the C connection at the air handler.... post pics of the stat wiring at that end.

I believe that plastic clip is used just to release the wire. The wire should be tight even with it broken but may be hard to release.

Old 06-07-17, 01:28 AM
C
Yes,

The unit is up above. See the pictures below. I tried to get a shot of the wiring coming out of the unit.

Name:  20170607_031625-1.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  46.1 KB
Name:  20170607_031723.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  21.6 KB

Old 06-07-17, 05:48 AM
S
The brown wire will be the common wire at the unit. You need to move the green wire from the stat cable to the brown. Move the green wire at the stat to C.

Old 06-07-17, 08:26 AM
C
@skaggsje

skaggsje
The brown wire will be the common wire at the unit. You need to move the green wire from the stat cable to the brown. Move the green wire at the stat to C.
See the diagram below.

Just so I'm clear with the wires at the HVAC unit you want me to:
- unattach the green wire (#1) from the other green wire (#2)
- attach the green wire (#2) to the white and brown wire (#4)

Name:  HVACWIRES.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  44.3 KB

See the diagram below.

Again so I'm clear:
- move the green wire to c.
- keep everything else the same?
- or should I remove the jumper and switch the r & rc switch up to r?

Name:  thermo.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  36.7 KB

If someone can tell me exactly what to do on both sides very clearly now that I have both pictures up that would be very appreciated.

Old 06-07-17, 08:56 AM
S
Yes you have it right. I would remove the black jumper and leave the switch at R& RC.

Old 06-07-17, 09:55 AM
C
ok I believe I understand but I have one final question. Near the HVAC unit when I unattach the green wire #1 do I need to connect that to anything or just leave it hanging? Pjmax below said he recommends I connect it to the yellow. I'm guessing the green is the fan & so if connected to the yellow when the AC is turned on the fan will also run?

As I'm disconnecting and reconnecting these wires. I know where to shut the power off, but how can I go about testing the wires before I touch them to make sure I don't get electrocuted?

thanks,

Old 06-07-17, 11:30 AM
S
Yes, I would do as Pjmax said. Yes turn the power off, don't worry about shocking yourself, it's 24 VAC. Which is harmless.

Old 06-07-17, 06:19 PM
C
Ok,

still dosen't work. I hook it does something different but doesn't really get anywhere.

HVAC:
- top wires white to white
- next down green to brown to white
- next down red to red
- last red to yellow to green

THERMO:
- very obviously seen in the pic.

Name:  HVAC.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  THERMO.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  24.0 KB

Ideas?

thanks,

Christopher

Old 06-07-17, 09:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Do you think that you have a splice in the wire between the air handler and your thermostat?

It looks like an unused blue wire is included with the thermostat wires in your picture.

Name:  Blue wire.JPG
Views: 927
Size:  31.1 KB

I hope that you will be able to use this blue wire because not all air handlers energize the fan with a heating demand. The addition of a dpdt relay may be required for fan operation in heat mode if you re-purpose that green wire.

Those air handlers didn't come with a low voltage fuse until very recently (if ever).
You may have popped the 240 volt primary by 24VAC secondary 40VA transformer.

Old 06-08-17, 05:52 AM
C
I just noticed that blue wire, that I could connect to the brown wire use for power "C" and put the green wires back normal.

Right?

Only thing, at the tstat, the blue wire wasn't visible outside the wall. How do I find it if it's behind the wall?

Old 06-08-17, 06:48 AM
S
I missed that blue wire too. Disconnect the wires on the stat and pull the cable out of the wall. You should be able to see the blue wire.

Old 06-08-17, 08:09 AM
C
Ok,

I did verify that for sure there is a blue wire in that wire housing over by the HVAC.

However when I pull the cable out of the wall at the thermostat there is no blue wire. (Pic below)

What seems strange is that the wire housing over by the HVAC is brown and the wire housing coming out of the wall over by the thermostat is grey.

Anyone have any ideas? Lol

Name:  20170608_100410-1.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  34.0 KB

Old 06-08-17, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Try to hold the jacket and wires at the same time and pull. The jacket may have stretched over the blue wire. You need to pull an inch or so out of the wall. Skin the jacket back.

Old 06-08-17, 10:20 AM
C
hahaha,

blue wire success! It was hidden in there. See below my latest iteration. Still doesn't work but may because i accidentally cut off too much of the red wire and it doesn't go through all the way?

I've also included a video of what the lyric is doing on repeat.
Name:  wires.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  tstat.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  19.7 KB

https://youtu.be/d1ALZOjkZag what do I do now? I feel I'm so close?

Old 06-08-17, 11:34 AM
S
Go ahead and put the wire nuts back on, then pull on each wire to make sure they are secure. Do the same on the red wire at the stat.

Old 06-09-17, 08:50 PM
C
@everyone,

Gentleman I'd just like to say thank you so much for the help I believe it's all fixed with the last bit of help from you all.

I had a debacle where I yanked too much wire near the tstat and had to solder & add more so that was a first.

Turns out after all that the damn honeywell lyric wifi card was broken so I has to reinstall the old tstat until they shIp a new one out.

But thanks again I really appreciate it! Hopefully this can also help others!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: