Acculink communicating thermostats

Old 08-06-17, 05:10 AM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Acculink communicating thermostats

I've been receiving quotes for new HVAC systems. One was for american standard variable speed with acculink communicating thermostats. A 20 SEER with acculink will cost about 5k more than a two-stage 17-seer using my current nest thermostats (two complete heating/cooling systems total price). Anyone have experience with these, are they worth it, are there issues with them. I'm wondering how well these "communicating" thermostats work and if they are more of a gimmick or really help efficiency and or comfort. I'm sure they couldn't make up the price difference but wondering if there is anything else to consider. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-17, 11:02 AM
A
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
A communicating thermostat is required to tell the blower and compressor exactly what speed to run at to get the rated SEER. One problem is that you are stuck with them as usually proprietary so you may not be able to upgrade in the future.

Take a look at a savings calculator like http://www.lennox.com/buyers-guide/t...ngs-calculator For Massachusetts the 15 year savings of $120 works out to be less than a dollar a month when going from a 17 to a 20 SEER system.

A 2 stage system will run on low most of the time anyway so unless you have duct problems there should be no issue. Otherwise for comfort you can get most of the same thing as variable by running the blower fan 24x7 on low.

Old 08-06-17, 11:39 AM
E
For the two-stage, do you set the fan speed or is it dependent on how much work the system needs to do?

Old 08-06-17, 12:27 PM
A
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
Yes, fan speed is dependent on need and set automatically. Usually the thermostat only calls for high when temp is more than a few degrees off of setting. That temperature swing should only be noticeable on the hottest of days or someone is adjusting the thermostat so stage 2 is needed. There are different algorithms and sometimes ones like Nest seems to make their own rules, though.

With a two stage system the furnace/air handler needs to be multi-speed so blower fan adjusts to compressor speed. There are two wires from the thermostat (Y1 and Y2) that go to both the furnace and compressor to control this. Then for constant fan there is a separate G wire to just the furnace. Lastly switch settings on the furnace control board determine what speed to run for each input.

Old 08-09-17, 06:49 AM
E
Any opinion on the american standard acculink vs the lennox iComfort controls? Do you need to pay a monthly fee for using these services?

Old 08-12-17, 02:47 PM
E
Lennox dealer told me that there is no fee. Not sure about american standard. They also said you could use variable speed with NEST but would lose some of the functionality of the communicating systems. So it doesn't seem that it would be worth keeping the nests if I were to go that route.