me vs Trane Comfortlink

Old 03-12-18, 11:47 AM
me vs Trane Comfortlink

Hi,

this is my first post in this forum but a Google search keeps bringing me here with people who have asked similar questions so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Background:

I currently have a Trane XL16i communicating thermostat with the XL800 communicating panel. It came with the house when I bought it. I'm trying to add my HVAC system to home automation and am running into some serious problems. The current thermostat uses 3 wires (B R D), so I tried a compatible thermostat -

I started with buying an XL850 thermostat, which after MONTHS of troubleshooting I was able to determine that I was actually sold an engineering sample with crippled firmware which would not work (at least Amazon got me a refund). It also turns out that in order to use any of Trane's Zwave thermostats you are forced into using Nexia home automation, which also will not work for me. Third, it looks like a "proper" XL850, XL950, or XL1050 is ridiculously expensive and at the end of the day doesn't do what I want and will require me to use work-arounds AFTER spending a ridiculous amount of money.

I started looking at how to hook up other non-Trane thermostats to this system and have discovered a panel on the furnace that looks like this:

https://imgur.com/a/C9Cwn
Name:  trane.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  70.1 KB

Can I just run a new thermostat wire from this controller with the necessary conductors to where my panel is and use a different thermostat? I'm looking at the Ecobee3 lite.

Trane has been, shall we say, less than helpful regarding removing or bypassing their system on order to provide functionality they do not offer.

I hope someone here has a straightforward answer for me.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-12-18 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added pics from link
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-18, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

That's the communication board. I don't think you can wire around it.
You should start off by posting the model numbers for the associated equipment.....
furnace - air handler - condensor - etc.

Old 03-13-18, 07:40 PM
Well I crawled into the attic to get the info but I don't think the news is very good....every component says "comfortlink ii" on it so looks like my dreams of tying HVAC into my home automation are dashed....at least for another decade when I have to replace it or the next house...which ever comes first.